View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
simvan
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemom View Post
I hope this will help you..... in 1993 (I know, a LONG time ago) we had a two year old westie who had patellar subluxation (her knee kept popping out of the knee cap. The surgery was a total knee replacement for a dog. My husband had just returned to work after two years of layoff, we had three young children, and I was working full time as a nurse. This was a tremendous decision for us because there was no guarentee it would work, it cost what I took home for three weeks work, and we had to keep a westie quiet for 8 weeks after. A westie is a ball of energy, like a lab only FASTER. We had the surgery, we took turns laying on an air mattress holding the dog any time she was not in the indoor kennel, and we carried her up and down the steps to go out to potty. It was the right choice for us. She lived to be 14 and we eventually forgot which knee was fixed because the outcome was so good. My kids learned alot about empathy and caring for an animal. I miss her even today. I hope you can come to grips with a decision.... whatever you decide will be right.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. The vest said it would cost between three to five thousand dollars. I know some people think I'm crazy, I don't think my husband is thrilled but my fur baby is just that, a big baby, who has brought a lot of love into our lives. If he was older, it would be different but since he is young and in good health I want him to have the surgery if he can.

I just have no idea how to keep him rested. It's been a tough weekend, he looks at me with his big brown eyes as he wants to play fetch. He cries or barks.

It sounds like your Westie lived a good life after, I know how much love and joy she brought all of you. It's very difficult losing a pet, their are so much a part of the family. I miss my lost fur babies too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!