View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
simvan
Crimping Master

Default UPDATE - Dogs and knee surgery - torn ligament....

Just wanted to update you about Tanner. He saw the surgeon today and he is scheduled for surgery on August 29th. As all fur baby lovers know, our pets are our family. He is so precious. Unfortunately I learned that he has arthritis in both knees and he has hip dysplasia, which he has probably had since he was young, the vet said it was genetic.

The vet said we really need to keep him quiet, no running to the door if the door bell goes, no walks, since his other knee has severe arthritis, the vet is worried that he could blow the knee if he is too active. Very hard to tell an active lab.

Thanks for all your comments/feedback/suggestions. The procedure will cost over $3,600 here in Canada. I've checked around, even at the University and it's the same price.

I will keep you posted.

Karen

Hi everyone...

My chocolate lab needs surgery. He is seven and has torn the ligament in his knee. He is in very good health, excellent weight and is very active.

I took him to the Vet's yesterday and since he is in good health, they recommend the surgery. If he was older - like 12, they would suggest putting him down. They are referring us to to two surgeon's for different opinions.

Of course I started to cry. Tanner is a big part of our family and I just love him so much. I don't want to see him suffer but he is so full of life.

Has anyone ever gone through this with their dog?

The hardest part is trying to keep him occupied. He loves to play fetch and now he can't. He can't even go for walks. If he is a candidate for surgery, we're not sure when it would be and then he needs three months to recover.

Just hoping to hear from someone else and if they have had this experience.

Thanks,
Karen

Last edited by simvan; 08-02-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Update
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!