Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default masking question

I'm trying to expand my stamping technique 'toolbox' and I just started using a stamp positioner (which worked really well and is way easier than I expected). I wanted to do a masked technique but I ended up with a sort of halo effect around my masked image, presumably from the thickness of the paper that I used to mask keeping the stamp from properly making contact with the paper.

I know a lot of people use post-it notes. My paper was a thin scrap of scrapbook paper (the cheap not thick kind) I can't imagine it was much thicker than a post-it. So, what am I doing wrong?

As Im typing this, Im thinking that I was doing this on my hard desk, and in my excitement over the stamp positioner, forgot to put my foam sheet underneath that I usually use when stamping. Is that the problem?

here's my card, so you get the idea- the green square sentiment was the part I was masking. (sorry for the bad photo, just wanted to get it up here real quick)
DSC_0011.jpg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I'm just not very picky - it looks great to me!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I do like the halo effect in this case, it looks like a mat.

But, do try a post it note for masking, it always works for me. I have heard of a special paper for this, but I don't know where to find it or if it works better than post its.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I think the special paper is by Inkadinkado. Inkadinkado Stamping Mask Paper, 5x7, 12pk

No idea what it's like though, try the post-its on your foam mat first to see if the cheap method works!

I often use scratch paper and Dotto, but stick the dotto to my clothing a few times first so it's not too sticky. Allows you to do whatever shape and size you like, without having to account for the sticky strip on the post-it.

Love your card design by the way. That's going to be awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I sometimes cut my mask ever so slightly smaller (just a hair) and when I stamp the second image I turn the stamp rubber up, put the cardstock on top of it and burnish it with my hand. It seems to almost eliminate that halo. (most of the time!) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got some Post it Note craft paper at Joanns that I thiought woud be cool (for something, don't know what now) but have only used it for masking. It is sticky all over and works good for masking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Even cheap scrapbook paper is likely to be considerably thicker than a Post-It so I'd try switching to that next time you mask.

When you cut a mask you need to cut right on the line or just a whisker inside it rather than outside. I've attached a pic that's part of a step by step tutorial I did - look at the waste I've cut away and you'll see that a tiny bit of the outer line of the stamp is visible on there. With your sentiment stamp I think I would cut so that I was taking off the points of the "serrated" edge and leaving a solid line as the edge of the mask.

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
masking question-mask2.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

For "important" stamping projects, I use a clear film made for masking. You can cut once then keep the mask with the stamp to use again. For "regular" stamping projects I use a sticky note or printer paper. The key is to cut just inside or exactly on the stamped outline, no border at all.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #9  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Eclipse Tape for masking and cut just a bit inside the line to eliminate that "halo" you mentioned. After using the mask, I usually save it and get a couple more uses out of it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

It depends on how picky you want to be. For that green piece to have no halo you would need to stamp it again on either a post it note or I use eclipse masking tape and then cut out each of those little triangle points. The more time you take cutting your mask the better it will work. After you cut out all those little points around the edge you would match it up with your stamped image, press it down and then stamp your hexagons. Does that make sense? The more closely your mask matches the image the less halo you will have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,908 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I have the inkadinkado mask paper and it works great. I like the 5x7 sheets because you can basically cut any shapes you need and you can save the leftovers for smaller projects. The only difficulty I've had is trying to remember which side you stamp on....white or green. So I wrote myself a note on the paper pack...stamp on the white side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

thanks so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use Eclipse tape and paper - I get mine here but I'm sure there are plenty of places that carry it: Product List

There are also liquid masks you can purchase at art supply stores or the art section of hobby stores.

You can also use very thin paper with a temp adhesive.

And what Michele said above!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Walmart sells masking fluid. I've never used it, so not sure how it compares, but it is a little over $7 for a small bottle....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first attempts at masking were using thin cardstock and it did not work, I got that halo like you did, and I got very frustrated. As everyone says, you must use thin paper. I have since always used 20 lb copier paper and held it in place with dotto. Or post-its if that works for the shape I'm masking. But I might just try some of the clear film and masking paper mentioned because I'm finding I like doing masking a lot and can see myself doing more of it.

That being said - while it's true that if you wanted a "perfect" mask you would have to cut all those little serrations (and that would look really nice), I think you might get a different but also nice effect by just cutting a rectangle a bit larger than your sentiment stamp. It would have to be big enough to look like you did it on purpose - kind of a border to the stamp - but not so big as to leave too much space. I do love your card design!

Mary Beth - where do you get your clear film? I think having a permanent mask for some of my stamps would be great!

Joanne - where's your tutorial? I'd love to look at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Joanne - where's your tutorial? I'd love to look at it.
It's here. Looking at the date it must be one of the very first stamping step-by-steps I ever did and I have to say that masking still has the ability to make me grin with delight at the "magic" when you peel a mask away to reveal layered stamping!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
I use Eclipse Tape for masking and cut just a bit inside the line to eliminate that "halo" you mentioned. After using the mask, I usually save it and get a couple more uses out of it.
That's what I use as well. Love that tape!

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

As Joanne said, you need to cut just inside the stamped image of your mask, and be very careful with placing the mask also just inside the image you are masking. It is the fact that you have another layer that creates the 'step'.
Re the permanent masks,what I tend to do is stamp onto a post-it pad, peel off half a dozen or so sheets, and cut them all out as one. Then I have a number of spare masks.

Here is how I position my masks- you can see the lines of the image underneath around it, then overstamped, then without the mask.
masking question-img_5343.jpg,masking question-img_5345.jpg,masking question-img_5346.jpg

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 07-09-2012 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

This is a tip I learned from my local stamp store. Put packing tape over your Eclipse mask and then cut it out just like you would with just the Eclipse film. This will give you a very long lasting mask. I only throw away a mask now if I bend the paper when sponging, but for stamping the masks last forever or at least for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #20  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
This is a tip I learned from my local stamp store. Put packing tape over your Eclipse mask and then cut it out just like you would with just the Eclipse film. This will give you a very long lasting mask. I only throw away a mask now if I bend the paper when sponging, but for stamping the masks last forever or at least for a very long time.

What a great idea! tfs

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #21  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Lots of good info here!! The trick is to not only use thin paper, but you have to cut inside the stamped line. For a design like this, I would definitely try it on scratch paper first...if you still get a halo, then trim a bit more from the mask until you get it just right. Super cute card, by the way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a tip.

You can make a sticky mask from plain old copy paper & punching several holes in it. Place pieces of removable tape over the holes to make the mask sticky. Even regular tape, with some of the sticky removed on your hand or jeans, can be used.
You can punch as many holes as you like, strategically placed to best hold mask in place.

If your mask made of commercial masking paper has lost its stickiness, you can rejuvenate it this way.

I like the idea posted for putting packing tape over Eclipse tape before cutting. I'm putting a post-it note on my roll of Eclipse tape to remember to try this next time I use it. I'm interested to see if the added thickness makes any difference.

I always put the Eclipse tape on a piece of copy paper before cutting. It's easier to turn during cutting & I don't remove any of the stickiness with my fingers as I cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by La FonzView Post
Here's a tip.

You can make a sticky mask from plain old copy paper & punching several holes in it. Place pieces of removable tape over the holes to make the mask sticky. Even regular tape, with some of the sticky removed on your hand or jeans, can be used.
You can punch as many holes as you like, strategically placed to best hold mask in place.

If your mask made of commercial masking paper has lost its stickiness, you can rejuvenate it this way.

I like the idea posted for putting packing tape over Eclipse tape before cutting. I'm putting a post-it note on my roll of Eclipse tape to remember to try this next time I use it. I'm interested to see if the added thickness makes any difference.

I always put the Eclipse tape on a piece of copy paper before cutting. It's easier to turn during cutting & I don't remove any of the stickiness with my fingers as I cut.
Great tip! I will try this if my masking paper loses its sticky...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

When I'm making a mask, especially one that I plan on using again, I stamp my image on a piece of clear plastic (from a clear page protector) with a permanent ink, like Staz-on Ink.

I then store the mask in the package the stamp set is in, if it has one, or in the front of my stamped images notebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I do the exact same thing! Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

the key is to stamp your image on the sticky end of a post it note or similar and then cut it out BUT cut it slightly within the line - that way when you overstamp the overstamp ink will very slightly stamp over the initial image and you won't get the halo.
also make sure you line up the mask with the pre-stamped image accurately.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes