View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
creativec
Kookie Creator

I would highly recommend the Silhouette Cameo.

Its very versatile and can cut files of different formats including studio, svg, dxf, gsd. You can get these files for free or at a very small price at various places online.

It can also sketch images in any of these same file formats if you change the blade to a marker. This does need an additional pen holder attachment but its very reasonably priced.

The Cameo can cut a variety of materials from patterned paper, cardstock of different thickness, vinyl, fabric, vellum. It cannot cut chipboard however so if thats something you need, you might want to think some more.

The Cameo comes with a free version of the Silhouette Studio software which is good for cutting studio, dxf and gsd files. You can find quite a few converters online to convert svg files (the most popular format for cutting files) into one of these formats. But if you want a lot of flexibility in making your own designs and using any format, you can upgrade to the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition for $50.

The Cameo also works with Make the Cut and Sure Cuts A Lot (MTC and SCAL) softwares if you decide to purchase one of these.

I have scanned all my stamps and converted them to cutting files so I don't use traditional dies anymore. My Cameo can cut shapes for me and I can stamp on these. The scans are to be used for your personal use only and not distributed online since that would violate the stamp company's copyrights.

Lastly, the Cameo has a print-and-cut feature. You do need a printer for this but you can print a design on your printer and then cut it with your Cameo. I don't use this feature since I don't have a printer but I have seen quite a few pretty cards made with it.

Hope this helps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!