View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
togrady
Kookie Creator

I love Ikea but the nearest one is quite a drive, so I don't actually have anything from them (except some magazine files from a generous fellow SCSer). I have had great luck with inexpensive bookcases from Target (I think similar to this - they are usually around $30) and square fabric bins. If you look, some are more like 12x12 and those are great for larger toys. The lower shelves are filled with bins for toys that my son has free reign with and the upper ones hold his craft items. In your case, you could put YOUR less commonly used craft items on some of those upper shelves as well. In his closet I have heavier plastic shelving that fits his taller toys (like Imaginext or Little People).

I have found that the more relaxed I am about WHERE his toys go, the better he is about picking them up. Some things have a specific place, but a lot of the bins and buckets can be filled with whatever. I do have some smaller plastic boxes with lids for some of his smaller collections of toys as well.

Another option would be to put some sort of lower shelving either facing toward your crafting area with your items, or away from your area with THEIR items (maybe safer this way) to delineate the space better. You would be able to see over them, but it might help section things off a bit. Something like this (which can definitely be found cheaper) might be a good idea, especially if you put toys for the little one in the lower bins.

I admire what you are doing and congratulations! I stopped crafting entirely from the time my son was 2 1/2 to almost five and am just getting back into it. Don't let that happen to you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!