Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Finally! A stamp org system that works with MY brain! :)

I started scrapbooking in 2010 and moved quickly into stamping and it's become a passion (shopping addiction too!) In the two years I've been paper crafting, I've amassed 10 two-inch binders full of stamps (clear and UM/cling) plus two drawers full of wood-mounted ones.

Miraculously, I have a pretty good memory for what I have - but finding what I want has been the challenge. Plus, in each set, you get tons of things.. sentiments, flowers, leaves, "extras".. punctuation.. clouds.. etc.

I started with a few stamps in sleeves I made and put into a small binder (for franklin-covey refills) and quickly outgrew that. I moved to two zippered Mead 2" notebooks, but once I outgrew those, I had to find a way to organize them.

I knew I didn't want a Clip It UP (I reserve the right to change my mind at any time, but for now it would not work for me). For one thing, my crafting space is in the middle of our great room, completely out in the open - I have one desk, with lots of drawers, and am using faux books and decorative boxes to store my scrappy stash in the area. I just didn't want something like a Clip it Up hanging out in the open all the time.

I converted to 2" black binders from wal mart, knowing I would have to somehow come up with a system for inventory. Then IT CAME TO ME!

I had asked for a Mac Book Pro for Christmas.. and my sweet, sweet Santa brought me one. ;) But I've been on a PC my whole life, so it has been a real adjustment - I knew it would - though very useful to my artsy/crafty needs.

One day I was playing on my laptop with iPhoto and IT CAME TO ME:
Keywords.. KEYWORDS!...
so this got my gears spinning.

I had been trying to think of a way to categorize or organize the sets, and I couldn't come up with ANYthing that worked with the way MY brain works... seems like everyone else categorizes by brand or "type" (sentiment, girlie, food, nature, masculine, travel, etc.)... but that would not work for me at all. I mean, my favorite stamp sets (and by far the majority of the ones I own) have all sorts of things in each set. Like I mentioned above...

As I grew into more and more 2" black binders from wal mart (planning this because I knew I could leave them in those and figure out an inventory system later, and use decorative paper on the spines so they would look nice on my built-in shelving), I decided to leave all the stamp sets as they were - where they were - but simply note WHERE they are.

Here's what I did: I took each binder, one at a time, and saved an image of each stamp (or stamp set) from online to iPhoto. Then I went through each one and added keywords for every single thing in the set. Plus, I would use extra words that I might use later when looking up a certain "style" of stamp or graphic (say, "girly" or "girlie", "nature" etc.) in addition to everything that was in the set.

THEN - in the "description" box, I noted what binder they were in (binder1-8, or binderc1 or binderc2 for cling 1 and 2)(they are zippered so they won't fall out or get dog fur in them).

SO: If I want to find a word or image of "sister," I just go into iPhoto and click the "search" button and type in "sister." Now, up pops every single stamp set that has a stamp with the word SISTER associated with it. And voila, visually, I can browse them. When I see one I want, I click on it, and the description box tells me what binder it is in. MAGIC, I tell you!! :mrgreen:

This really did NOT take long at all - and I did it while watching TV with the family at night.. and I'm all done - have been for a few weeks now - and have used this sytem VERY successfuly since I put it into place. I cannot tell you how amazing it feels to use a system I came up with myself and it really works with how "I" think. If it would help you, too... then give it a try!!!

There is also a pic of my binders on my blog... I will try to add a few more, but for now if you have questions just let me know!

I used my Silhouette to do large numbers (2" wide x 3" tall) for the spine and the front inserts for each binder - with a different decorative paper in each one (coordinating, from the Main Street DCWV pack), and used a deep border punch on them just to make it pretty. this way if I have several out on my table (during serious weekends!), I can easily see which one is which by the number.

By me, for me. And for you too if you could use it! Let me know if you try this out!

Last edited by msdixie; 06-06-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 789 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm just reaching the point where I may need a stamp inventory. Like you, I've been pretty good at remembering what I have and finding it is easy because of the storage system I have. However, lately I've noticed I've come across stamps that I'd forgotten I had :eek: so I've been thinking about this inventory business. But I have sooooo many stamps, it would take a long time and it's not fun. I'd rather create

I think I'll have to talk myself into it.

I like your computer system
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Glad you found a way that worked for you! I'm jealous of your Mac Book, too (someday, it will be mine - oh yes, it will be mine!) Maybe I'll see if I can work something out on my PC that's similar. Thanks for the inspiration!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I'm just reaching the point where I may need a stamp inventory. Like you, I've been pretty good at remembering what I have and finding it is easy because of the storage system I have. However, lately I've noticed I've come across stamps that I'd forgotten I had :eek: so I've been thinking about this inventory business. But I have sooooo many stamps, it would take a long time and it's not fun. I'd rather create

I think I'll have to talk myself into it.

I like your computer system
there are so many great videos on youtube about how people organize their stamps.. i just couldn't find what would work for me, and this definitely does. you don't have to rely on your memory anymore.. a bit of a relief! ;)
(just have to make sure you put them back in the right binder!)

oh.. and i am like you.. would normally rather create too, but once i got this system in my head, it was fun working through it. i just sat down with one binder at a time next to me on the sofa, at night when we would watch tv or a movie. i didn't try to rush. it was totally worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Glad you found a way that worked for you! I'm jealous of your Mac Book, too (someday, it will be mine - oh yes, it will be mine!) Maybe I'll see if I can work something out on my PC that's similar. Thanks for the inspiration!
yes, santa was VERY good to me! fortunately he knows i am a bit of a nerd and love all things techie... gadgets.. what-not. so this year i didn't hold back when he asked what i wanted for christmas. i'm still learning it! (it is quite the adjustment.. it's like the socks are in the dishwasher! haha) i knew it would be, but it's even more of a challenge than i expected it to be.. but it is fun learning new things =)

i hope you get yours soon!!! until then, maybe there is a way to do something similar on a PC. i might fiddle around and see if i can find something that would help you. i just had my mind in Mac mode since my crafting (and music) is why i asked for the mac in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I am also a total gadget geek! My biggest hope is that when we move in a few months, DH will get us an iMac and it will go in the office/craftroom. Then I, too, can do the iphoto idea!

I am way more interested in doing something on the computer than in a paper binder - it just suits the way my mind works as well. I also have a Gazelle on my wishlist, and having the images already scanned in would make creating custom dies for my stamps a cinch!

For those PC users out there, try Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/). It's a free to download Google product. You can use it to put albums online (a good way to back up) as well. The problem is that it tries to organize every photo on your computer, but it doesn't actually MOVE or copy them or anything, it just labels them. It's easy to remove folders from it with a right click. I plan to put all my stamps in a subfolder of my current 'digital stamps' folder so I can search it all at once. It allows you to use keywords/tags and search for them. GREAT idea msdixie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW! I love this idea. I use iphoto and can do this easily. But, how do you store the stamps in the binder again? I have CTMH acrylics that adher within their envelopes to a transparency sheet. Then, lots of wood mount SU that are in boxes. Finally the cheap acrylics and some other odd wood mounts.

Do you buy clear plastic pockets for a 3-ring binder and slip the stamps in that? I think I'm going to start taking photos and entering key words today. If fact, I might even go so far as to try and take a pic from the catalogs and get card/page ideas along with the pics of the stamps.

Thanks for the great idea.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

So glad you found a computing solution. I use a similar system as far as computing to inventory my supplies onto Excel. It is great because I have linked the photograph of the set to Excel so I can find all the information I need when I blog! I'm a picture person too.

If anyone is a PC user and has no hope of going Apple in the near future. I would suggest setting up an Inventory photographs folder and initially sort your inventory by Manufacturer/Keywords. Then set up an Excel System where you can sort by keywords - TBH I'm still working on it but it is every few months when the bug hits me.

The Excel system also serves as an inventory record should you need it for insurance purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I'd think Evernote would work for this as well, it's free and has a keyword feature. And Evernote syncs with your smartphone, so if you're at the LSS, you can check to see if you already have a stamp.

Martha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default evernote

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha JView Post
I'd think Evernote would work for this as well, it's free and has a keyword feature. And Evernote syncs with your smartphone, so if you're at the LSS, you can check to see if you already have a stamp.

Martha
wow, even better! i'm just dabbling with the mac, and haven't added any software to my initial package... nor have i ever used evernote. i will have to look into this too... i would love to be able to search for my stamps from my iphone. but hey.. i haven't played with the cloud yet.. i'll bet that would enable me to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Post .xls inventory & insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
So glad you found a computing solution. I use a similar system as far as computing to inventory my supplies onto Excel. It is great because I have linked the photograph of the set to Excel so I can find all the information I need when I blog! I'm a picture person too.

If anyone is a PC user and has no hope of going Apple in the near future. I would suggest setting up an Inventory photographs folder and initially sort your inventory by Manufacturer/Keywords. Then set up an Excel System where you can sort by keywords - TBH I'm still working on it but it is every few months when the bug hits me.

The Excel system also serves as an inventory record should you need it for insurance purposes.
i heart excel. i hadn't thought of using it though to link photos... that was a great idea! wish i had thought of that when i started collecting my stamps! i had not thought about the inventory for insurance purposes... that gives me something to chew on. i wonder how i might put something like that together without duplicating all my work...you have my gears turning!

one specific question for you: i've wondered if i should go ahead and buy excel for my mac or go with whatever the comparable apple software is. do you have a suggestion or thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdixieView Post
i heart excel. i hadn't thought of using it though to link photos... that was a great idea! wish i had thought of that when i started collecting my stamps! i had not thought about the inventory for insurance purposes... that gives me something to chew on. i wonder how i might put something like that together without duplicating all my work...you have my gears turning!

one specific question for you: i've wondered if i should go ahead and buy excel for my mac or go with whatever the comparable apple software is. do you have a suggestion or thoughts on this?
Not really. I'm a PC gal and the programs I love tend to keep me on PC even though I drool over Apple. I bet a quick search engine search would tell you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Lightbulb stamp binder storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
WOW! I love this idea. I use iphoto and can do this easily. But, how do you store the stamps in the binder again? I have CTMH acrylics that adher within their envelopes to a transparency sheet. Then, lots of wood mount SU that are in boxes. Finally the cheap acrylics and some other odd wood mounts.

Do you buy clear plastic pockets for a 3-ring binder and slip the stamps in that? I think I'm going to start taking photos and entering key words today. If fact, I might even go so far as to try and take a pic from the catalogs and get card/page ideas along with the pics of the stamps.

Thanks for the great idea.
Mob
hi mob! i buy the "[in] place" brand heavyweight clear page protectors from office max..the ones that have a tab at the top that closes the sheet protector and keeps items from falling out. they're archival quality/acid-free as well. i put them into 2" black 3-ring binders, and label each binder with a number.

for the "mini"/single sized stamps, such as the studio g stamps, i trim them if needed and keep them in baseball protector sheets; each sheet holds 9 (or 18 if you do them back to back, but i don't). if they want to snag on the corners a little, and i've trimmed the side all i can without getting the stamp itself, i'll just nip the bottom 2 corners of the storage sheet with scissors and they slide in and out very easily. you don't want to get them TOO loose in the divided sections, though, or they'll slide out. another option is to use mini glue dots and attach the included paper to the storage sheet - gives it a bit more heft and they won't want to slide out. but i haven't had much of a problem with this at all.

for the stamp sets that are the size of hero arts, paper smooches, lawn fawn (i believe they are 4x6), the storage sheet often is already attached to the backing paper; I leave it and trim the top of the packaging but retain the name/brand of the stamp set for reference. i fold the page protector in half vertically, roll up the bottom half and slide my stapler in and place 3 staples along the horizontal center line of the sheet protector. then on the bottom half that i created, i carefully cut through the front part of the sheet protector to create a slit next to the binder ring which runs vertically; this allows me to slip 2 sets of stamps, back to back, in the bottom portion, and they won't slide out when i open the book and turn the pages, since the opening is near the spine; for the top half, just put in the two sets, back to back, in the top opening and close the flap at the top. these heavyweight sheets stay closed very nicely and this is a great system for this size of stamp set, and you can easily keep 4 sets in each page protector. i have a habit of putting them in the same direction so they're not all wonky when i turn the page (viewing flow).

for stamps such as inkadinkado (the taller, narrow sets), i do the same but staple the page protector in a vertical line down the middle instead of horizontal. i trim the cardstock packaging insert and page protector to just above the height of the stamp set; again, making sure not to cut off the name of the stamp set... and these are not attached to the packaging paper, so i use mini glue dots. again, this holds 4 stamp sets per sheet protector and they are very easy to access and browse.

for anything not of those sizes, i use glue dots and attach the storage sheet to an 8.5x11" piece of white cardstock. i write in the brand/set name and often you can put 2-3 sets on one sheet of paper. again, back to back if they fit comfortably (and they always have for me).

i only have one CTMH set (and wow i love those stamps - they are such great quality!) and hate to take them out of the envelope they're in, so i just dropped the whole thing into a page protector and closed the flap at the top so it doesn't fly out. [i've done the same for my 1 set of Gina K cling stamps...] this may not be ideal.. but it works for me since i only have one of those i did see several different videos about storing the CTMH clear stamps in their envelopes in a similarly sized basket - you could do the same thing, and tie a tag onto each basket and give it a number or title, and still use the same keywords idea.

for clings, i placed a full-sized piece of chipboard (usually the kind that comes in the package of sheet protectors i buy) inside the heavy-duty sheet protectors (even more important for cling storage) and i put my clings directly onto these, front and back. as long as you keep them clean, they should stick very well. if they don't want to stick, wash the back of the cling, and the sheet protector (wipe with a damp cloth), dry, and it should stick like new again. however, i do keep this system in zippered binders so if they do not stick, i am not losing any stamps - and the dog fur in my house can't get to them either. mini clings/sets can also go into those baseball card sheet protectors, but again i keep those in the zippered binders just so they won't fly out of the sheet protector pockets.

the basicgrey bitsy stamps are a bit trickier - i had bought various sizes of photo sheet protectors, thinking i would like that system for differently sized sets, but they don't tend to stay in place as well. i may end up using a tiny piece of velcro at the tops of the few that i have used. instead, i would suggest using a full size sheet of cardstock and mini glue dots and a regular sheet protector for those.

i'm thinking for all of your wood mounted ones, they're in clamshell packs, right? so just fill baskets with them, in a filing style, so you can easily view the labels on the top edge.. then label each basket with a number or letter. i like this storage system a lot better than trying to categorize each stamp within a set. just put them into "something" - then make a note in your description field as to where it is (basket/box/binder 1, 2, A, whatever.) that's all i put into the description, so it's very easy to see - and i enter all the stamp images/sentiments/"descriptive thoughts" (ie hats, clouds, flowers, Girly, funny, love, summer, etc.) into the keywords section.

for all of my woodmounted ones, i title them with "wm" at the end of the title... same for cling. for the woodmounted ones it's easier for me to store by category since they're individual. i keep background stamps together, and put my seasonal-specific ones into specified storage boxes (like the photo boxes from Michaels) and label teh front - val day, christmas, etc. these are jsut for the wood-mounted ones and i am not missing out on using any of those because they are seasonal (as opposed to the clear sets, which may include stamps you'd use for other projects but if they're with the christmas items, you may forget you have some sentiment or image that isn't actually christmas but is in the set and would have been perfect on a project!) (this was at the heart of my categorizing predicament to begin with.) so, i have my woodmounted stamps that are christmas in a box along with my christmas punches. the rest of my non-seasonal and non-background woodmounted stamps are just loose in two drawers of a narrow plastic tower, and it works fine for me. i'd try baskets for your SU sets...each one would serve as a binder of sorts.

this is just my way.. and i like it so far.. i don't ever see myself using a clip it up, so i have no problem getting rid of the celophane they come in.. and it works for me! let me know if you have any more questions! oh - one last thing - you don't have to take photos of all your stamps! put them into your binders. then take a binder at a time, while you're watching tv or something, and just surf the web for each stamp set. then save the photo of the stamp set. only take a photo and use that if you can't find one online.. i've only had to do that for a very few (and those few were value minis)! i crop the photos as well, once i have a batch in, so they're very easy to browse in iPhoto. for instance, some of the basicgrey/hero arts stamp sets' images are of the packaging at the top half of the photo, and the actual image sheet of the stamps on the bottom half - i crop it just to show the actual image sheet, so it's bigger and they're all the same size that way as well. of the ones that i have had to photograph myself, i also crop and edit them if necessary, so they're easy to view as well.

Last edited by msdixie; 06-18-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up after the move...

hope you get your mac after the move!!! and thanks for the picasa suggestion!! i have a silhouette sd (not the cameo), and i want to create digital cut files for my most frequently used stamps, but i am not sure that the online images will match the size of the stamps. will have to look into that... i was planning on just stamping/scanning them in. but there may be an easier way! i was toying with two "Recollections" brand stamp images and those did seem easy to trace and offset.. i guess it will just be a matter of verifying the size of the original stamp to the size of the digital image and making sure it's sized accordingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by togradyView Post
I am also a total gadget geek! My biggest hope is that when we move in a few months, DH will get us an iMac and it will go in the office/craftroom. Then I, too, can do the iphoto idea!

I am way more interested in doing something on the computer than in a paper binder - it just suits the way my mind works as well. I also have a Gazelle on my wishlist, and having the images already scanned in would make creating custom dies for my stamps a cinch!

For those PC users out there, try Picasa (Picasa). It's a free to download Google product. You can use it to put albums online (a good way to back up) as well. The problem is that it tries to organize every photo on your computer, but it doesn't actually MOVE or copy them or anything, it just labels them. It's easy to remove folders from it with a right click. I plan to put all my stamps in a subfolder of my current 'digital stamps' folder so I can search it all at once. It allows you to use keywords/tags and search for them. GREAT idea msdixie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default stamp organization

Thanks for your long reply....it took you awhile to type that all out and I appreciate it. I think I may have to learn how to use Evernote. I have it on the MAC and iphone but haven't used it.

I'm going to tackle this project and finish it.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

MsDixie, please share pix of your modded page protectors. A visual would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile happy to post pics

Quote:

Originally Posted by neeceView Post
MsDixie, please share pix of your modded page protectors. A visual would be very helpful.
Will do! Look for them tomorrow; I'll take some and upload them tonight.
Hope they give you some ideas! I use a stapler just b/c it's easy - but some people sew them into sections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

you are very welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks for sharing all this info.

I have been thinking of doing this as well, I can see where keywords would make it so much easier to find a set.
I have picasa but just haven't sat down and played with.
I also really like excel,How do you link a photo/image? and do you make a column for each of your keywords?

I have never thought of an inventory labelling system for my stamp sets, except the crate or drawer they are in is labeled- christmas drawer, words, alphabets, masculine, coordinates with punches. Like you say so many fall into more than one category, they tend to get shuffled around, your filing system makes sense (mine are mostly SU wood mount, so I could label the clamshell to correspond with a number). Currently I flip through them on my computer, I am so glad I have always scanned every set when I bought it. BUt I am also glad I printed a copy to put in a binder, because before my computer crashed it must have been starting to delete some images, I am sure I had scanned them all, becuase when i reloaded my backup some where not there, thank goodness I had a paper copy too (that is the only time I have really used the paper binder). The computer is much handier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default excel linking

hey there,
it sounds like riverisis could better answer this question since excel is what she uses. i love excel but haven't used it for this purpose.

regarding the labeling, it really has helped me. it sounds like you have a great start with your scanned covers and book of printouts! for me, it doesn't even matter what binder each stamp is in - as long as i have which one it's in listed in the description of the photo file

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris BView Post
Thanks for sharing all this info.

I have been thinking of doing this as well, I can see where keywords would make it so much easier to find a set.
I have picasa but just haven't sat down and played with.
I also really like excel,How do you link a photo/image? and do you make a column for each of your keywords?

I have never thought of an inventory labelling system for my stamp sets, except the crate or drawer they are in is labeled- christmas drawer, words, alphabets, masculine, coordinates with punches. Like you say so many fall into more than one category, they tend to get shuffled around, your filing system makes sense (mine are mostly SU wood mount, so I could label the clamshell to correspond with a number). Currently I flip through them on my computer, I am so glad I have always scanned every set when I bought it. BUt I am also glad I printed a copy to put in a binder, because before my computer crashed it must have been starting to delete some images, I am sure I had scanned them all, becuase when i reloaded my backup some where not there, thank goodness I had a paper copy too (that is the only time I have really used the paper binder). The computer is much handier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm no expert on Excel by a long shot. However I just insert the picture into the row of information. At the moment I have had to shrink them down to a thumbnail on the Excel sheet itself, however I know there is a way to link it where it can pop up but I haven't worked that out yet. So far the thumbnails help jog my memory enough. I know a lot of people are concerned about "sizing" and like to know the size of the stamp from a picture. That isn't my issue. however, if I do have the information I just jot it down on my sheet for reference.

HTH.

I find if I am struggling with a card to have the small pictures helps me work through my ideas (or lack of) by finding something to start with without being overwhelmed by physically going through my stamps. Everyone has their own way that works.

TBH I started the Excel sheet with the intent of making a database in Access... LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Post page protectors - modifications

Quote:

Originally Posted by neeceView Post
here they are

Msdixie's Gallery: page protector modification
there are seven photos - this is the first. hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

thanks kristen! you are awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks I think I know how to do that.
I was also looking at another thread and the gal uses an Excel spreadsheet and rename the sheet tabs along the bottom with the different categories.

I had never thought of doing it that way, always envisioned categories in columns on teh spreadsheet, how do you do yours?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

At the moment my tabs are manufacturer. I also list my markers, inkpads etc... However, I want to get to a point where I have categories. I will probably to have to lots of linking from page to page (not my strong point! and again I know it can be done) to get the result I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by neece
MsDixie,please share pix of your modded page protectors. A visual would be very helpful.
Quote:

here they are

Msdixie's Gallery: page protector modification
there are seven photos - this is the first. hope this helps!
THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

subbing-love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

msdixie- Thanks for the great pictures I love how you did your clear rubber stamps I was just looking at mine and wondering what can I do with them other than a Box, this is how I have my spellbinders , cuttlebugs and small sizzix's so I always have them at arms reach and can take them with me , Will be doing this , this weekend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Very ingenious! I will try to work that into my disorganized craft room. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Loved the tip of searching the web for the name of the stamp and saving it into iphoto. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

awesome, thanks so much for sharing! I was thinking of this idea but had no idea how to DO it, keywords is genius, thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

How do you link the photos in excel? I have the 2003 version, no hope of upgrading...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

MsDixie - the fact that you have used Iphoto to do this project caught my attention, because like so many other stampers, I am too trying to figure a better way to organize and locate my stamps. Back in Xmas I gave myself a Mac desktop and it has IPhoto, but I have never used until now. Well, I have saved your instructions and I will try to play with it too, and hope for the same success. Thanks for sharing YOUR stamp organizing system.

I do have a question - how do you manage for your stamp sheets not to hang outside the binders? I too have all my clear and clings in baseball card holders, and sheet protectors, but after a while the weight seems to cause them to drop. So my binder look all spread out (nothing like yours, nice and neat). What am I doing wrong? Advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

This really did NOT take long at all - and I did it while watching TV with the family at night.. and I'm all done - have been for a few weeks now - and have used this sytem VERY successfuly since I put it into place. I cannot tell you how amazing it feels to use a system I came up with myself and it really works with how "I" think. If it would help you, too... then give it a try!!!

Let me know if you try this out!
This is ingenious!! I don't have a MAC, but I'm doing the same thing with Picassa and I think it's going to work!! I started out stamping each stamp (several times if it went into different categories), but I quickly fell behind before I even got caught up!! I think this is going to be so much faster and easier!! I've already saved pics of each stamp set (from the current catalog) and have tagged about half of them....and this didn't take me long at all!! I'm actually saving the stamp set pics in a separate folder on a portable hard drive...that way I can use it on both my laptop and desk top...and I'll figure out a way to get them on my iPAD! LOL!
THANKS so much for the GREAT idea....you've made my life much easier!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #36  
Forum Fanatic

Awesome ideas, ladies! I had unmounted my SU sets a few years back and have them all in CD cases - even moved my clear mount stamps to CD cases but now I have so many I can't keep track of them all (i.e. where is that cute sentiment or flower that I used before). I don't have a Mac, so I am going to try this labeling idea in Picassa too. I had used a filebox with 4 x 6 cards and have lost track as I bought a few more here and there (shhh) ;) Thanks MsDixie for the idea!! I don't know why I hadn't thought of it.
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Msdixie,
Loved your idea. I don't have a macbook so I purchased a copy of ACDSEE photo organizing program. It works like a charm! Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I love keywords!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Open Office has an Excell clone in it's suite of software and it's free. I don't know if it works on a Mac tho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Great idea! I definitely need to do this, l I have a Macbook Pro - just need to get busy inventorying.
Reply With Quote Likes