View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #131
sewflake
Proud Fan Club Member

Terry, I think it is going to depend on how bad the tear is. In most cases with surgery they want you up and around in as short of a time as possible. Is there any pain from your injury? If there is, is it getting worse? And what are you doing on your vacation? Anything that will be stressful on your knee?
My DH had bad knees for years then had both knee caps replaced (at the same time no less) of course that type of surgery is not at all what you are looking at.
If your Dr recommened surgery, then I assume he does not feel like it will heal on its own. After surgery there is usually physical therapy. It is really hard to say how long you will be "laid up" after surgery, depends on how extensive your repair surgery is. From what I have seen and hear you probably will only be off your feet for a few days (maybe only 1 or 2) with limited walking for a few more days to a week while you undergo physical therapy as an outpaitient. Then walking as normally as much as your leg/knee will tolerate.
I am sure your Dr will give you much more information as to what to expect. Heck, send him an email asking for more info!
Keep in mind I have not had the surgery but I have been around plenty of people that have had worse, so this is kind of a guess based on that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!