Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Heart SCORE BOARDS

I am wondering what everyone thinks about the SU Scoreboard? AND the diagonal plate? I have been thinking of getting it, but haven't really heard anyone talk about it! What do you think? Is it BETTER than the large Scorboard by Scor-Pa or othersl? I REALLY like the diagonal score plate too (does anyone else have that?) & was wondering how others are using it! Would LOVE to hear what everybody thinks!
P.S. I have a Scor-Buddy already!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer your question specifically about the ScorPal brand but I do love my SU Simply Scored & the diagonal plate. I held off on getting a scoring board in hopes that SU would come out with one so I could use it in classes. Before I just used the scoring blade in a small paper trimmer and that was always a pain to see the measurements etc.

With the SU board it's so easy to do fancy folds and 3D items now since I can see the measurements with ease. It's lightweight but not flimsy either. I like how the stylus fits in my hand.

Does your SU demo or another stamping friend have one that you could try?

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Scor Pal a couple of years ago. When Martha Stewart's board came out I ditched the Scor Pal and got her's. I then got a Scor Buddy (LOVE IT). When the Simply Scored came out I ditched Martha. I love the place markers and not having to score the wrong 1/8" mark (I haven't done that before.... LOL). I also like the diagonal plate and the fact that I don't have to rethink the dimensions just because I've re-oriented the paper. I like the stylus as well; however, I've used my Scor Buddy in it when I'm too lazy to switch hand tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you Ladies for your input! I'm REALLY trying to find out the differences, benefits etc. between the scoreboards! Your information is VERY HELPFUL! I remember when they re-did the Score Buddy, adding a frequent measuring point...I WONDERED if the SU board would be easy to measure...I'm wondering STILL which would be the best!

Using the diagonal plate, WHAT do you make that makes that plate SO IMPORTANT?

Does your SU demo or another stamping friend have one that you could try? From Amanda

Sorry to say, I don't have a SU demonstrator that is close! I order all my SU goodies from a SU Demonstrator in Michigan! (A LONG WAY away from me! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I didn't buy the Simply Scored because I already have Scor Pal, Scor Buddy (my favorite), and Martha Stewart. The SU! diagonal plate fits perfectly on the Martha Stewart Scoreboard, so I bought it to use with that. I use it for making envelopes. Haven't found any other use so far, other than you can score lines one way, then turn the paper and score the other for a diagonal background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you Kathy! Hmmmm, I didn't realize the diagonal board was only used for envelopes! Interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Thank you Kathy! Hmmmm, I didn't realize the diagonal board was only used for envelopes! Interesting!
You can use it to just make score lines on cards, but as far as I'm aware, the envelopes are the real reason for the diagonal plate. And I really like mine and the fact that it fit the MS scoreboard so I didn't have to buy one more scoreboard! An SU demo may be able to tell you if there are other uses that I am unaware of...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

THANKS Kathy!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

THANKS Kathy!!!!!!!!!!!
You're quite welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used mine mostly for envelopes ...
But I've also used it to make a cross-hatched scored background ... it just looks so much better diagonally.
I don't do a lot of fancy folds ... but I'm sure there are other uses. I'm happy to make pretty envelopes to go with my pretty cards.

One of my friends used it like an envelope to make wedding invitations ... but didn't glue any of the triangle parts down ... that way it just opened up nicely into the invitation. Very pretty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you Gail! Those are ideas I can use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have both the ....

Scor-Buddy and MS Scoreboard. I was very frustrated with the bone folders not working for me. One day I saw an SU demo where their board uses a stylus....

An AHA moment! I went out and bought MS stylus set and use the biggest ball with the Scor-Buddy and the middle size with the MS. I love it and it really did change how well I used these scoreboards!

HTH!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
Scor-Buddy and MS Scoreboard. I was very frustrated with the bone folders not working for me. One day I saw an SU demo where their board uses a stylus....

An AHA moment! I went out and bought MS stylus set and use the biggest ball with the Scor-Buddy and the middle size with the MS. I love it and it really did change how well I used these scoreboards!

HTH!

Beaglelover
I want to use a stylus, but when I do, dragging it on my paper gives me the feeling of nails on a chalkboard! I can't figure it out, but I would love to use a stylus. Wonder if they make a plastic one. I am thinking it has to do with the thick SU paper I use...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I got them all!

Hands down scor-pal is superior. I speak from experience having both the old and newer scor-pal, scor-buddy, Martha and Simply scored. I did not buy the diagonal because I was so disappointed with the SU simply scored. For the amount of money, you might want to consider investing in Scor-pal. I have found that I don't really need 1/8 lines all the way across. Not necessary with most projects. Also the scor-pal and buddy is much better constructed and has excellent support even from the designer and owner Diana Crick. Contact her by email. She is so, so sweet. Go to the scor-pal website. There is plenty of info and Diana explains why she did not go with the 1/8th lines all the way across. There are 1/8th grooves across the first and last inch. She even has markings up top for common folds such as gate-fold, trifold and of course A2.
The scor-pal website offers tons of projects and instructions on how to make envelopes for any size.
My vote...scor-pal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Ladies!

These are the types of comments I'm looking for! What makes you like one over another...little/big differences in the products...etc! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Keep those thoughts coming!!!!!!!! I enjoy reading them & trying to make my decision! Your in-put IS NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Scor Pal and Scor Buddy are made of much better material, in my opinion. BUT there are times when I want that 1/8" increments and my pea brain has trouble with the shifting you need to do so I have the MS for those times. If you work slowly, you won't jump the track scoring with the MS. That is my biggest complaint, yet I am glad I have it. I also love that my diagonal plate fits MS perfectly. SO I have the best of all worlds. For just scoring cards, I use the Scor Buddy hands down the most. It's small and easily packs to travel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the Score-Buddy & LOVE IT!!!!!!!! But, for those bigger projects....& wanting to do design work on them too...I just am not sure of the differences, etc! That's why I ask this question! I'm not sure I'm sold on the little things to mark your most frequently used score lines on the SU board (seems I'd loose those pieces! And the measurements look hard to read) , I've heard things about the Score-Pal, but I THINK that was the OLD board, AND I've not heard much about the MS board!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I have the Score-Buddy & LOVE IT!!!!!!!! But, for those bigger projects....& wanting to do design work on them too...I just am not sure of the differences, etc! That's why I ask this question! I'm not sure I'm sold on the little things to mark your most frequently used score lines on the SU board (seems I'd loose those pieces! And the measurements look hard to read) , I've heard things about the Score-Pal, but I THINK that was the OLD board, AND I've not heard much about the MS board!
The MS scoreboard is nice. It is in 1/8" increments. The only trouble I've ever had was when I'm in a hurry, my scoring tool skips the track. If you slow down or use a stylus those things shouldn't happen. MS also has an envelope tool with hers, but not nearly as nice as the diagonal plate. The MS board can be purchased at Michaels for $10 if you wait for a 50% off coupon. The new Scor Pal has 1/8" increments up to 1" and the 11=12" is also 1/8". The rest is 1/4" except for a few regular scoring lines. The new Scor Pal also has a mat that you can lay over it to make a flat working surface when you aren't using it. I use all three of my scoreboards PLUS the diagonal plate and love them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy!
You're making them ALL sound SO GOOD! LOL How will I EVER choose????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #20  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

I am wondering what everyone thinks about the SU Scoreboard? AND the diagonal plate? I have been thinking of getting it, but haven't really heard anyone talk about it! What do you think? Is it BETTER than the large Scorboard by Scor-Pa or othersl? I REALLY like the diagonal score plate too (does anyone else have that?) & was wondering how others are using it! Would LOVE to hear what everybody thinks!
P.S. I have a Scor-Buddy already!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!!!!!!
I think they all work, but it really comes down to personal preference.
That said, I have a scor-pal, but bought the SU! one. I prefer the SU! one. I like the fact there are markings every 1/8", where the scor-pal I have did not (though I think there is a version now that does?). I prefer the stylus over the bone folder style tool. And I do like the line markers - so much easier when you are making multiples of something to just mark your scor lines.
I have a diagonal plate on order, so haven't had a chance to use it yet & see what I think of it. Even if it is only good for envelopes though, I figure that making envelopes will be a good way to use up some of that stack of dp I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Anemone!
Are the measurements easy to read on the SU Board? They look like they'd be hard to read! The older I get.... And those little things to mark the measurements, easily lost---? (I know you can get more if lost!) Thanks for your in-put!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
I have a scor-pal, but bought the SU! one. I prefer the SU! one. I like the fact there are markings every 1/8", where the scor-pal I have did not (though I think there is a version now that does?)
I don't think any of the Scor Pal versions have a 1/8" grooves across the whole board, although the newest one does have 1/8" markings and 1/8" grooves at for the first and last inch. I recommend getting them all! But you don't need the MS AND the Simply Scored. I would choose one or the other of that to go with the diagonal plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy!
Are you one of those people that can't stop spending on Paper crafts? I couldn't get them ALL as I like MANY other things! LOL From cooking to sewing to knitting to rubber stamps & ALL that goes with all that! I'll have to narrow it down a bit! I DO like the one(s) that have alot of measurements; the ones people use the MOST!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Kathy!
Are you one of those people that can't stop spending on Paper crafts? I couldn't get them ALL as I like MANY other things! LOL From cooking to sewing to knitting to rubber stamps & ALL that goes with all that! I'll have to narrow it down a bit! I DO like the one(s) that have alot of measurements; the ones people use the MOST!
I was at first. Then I got smart and now I research like you before buying. I actually bought the MS twice! When I got my Scor Pal, I gave the MS to a friend, but then missed it and bought another! I've come to realize I don't need everything, so I try to research and buy only what I know I will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy!
I was only teasing you! Does the MS have something the Scor Pal DOESN'T have then? (Sorry if I'm repeating a question here) If you liked it so much that you'd buy it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Kathy!
I was only teasing you! Does the MS have something the Scor Pal DOESN'T have then? (Sorry if I'm repeating a question here) If you liked it so much that you'd buy it again!
Yes, the MS has the score lines every 1/8" inch increments and the Scor Pal is at 1/4". Most times you don't need all the 1/8" scores but in the times that you do, it's a great asset! And like I said earlier, the diagonal plate from SU will fit perfectly, so you can also use it with that, without buying the Simply Scored Scoreboard! Ask as often as you'd like or PM me is you have any more questions! I love it when I can help. I have had so much help on here from others that it feels good when I can give back! I will try to take a picture to post of all of the scoreboards so you can see them side by side. Be back later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh THANK YOU Kathy! To see them side by side WOULD BE NICE!!!!!!!THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

The first picture is the Scor Pal and Scor Buddy. The next is the MS scoreboard. I drew the black line down the middle to help me with my projects. The third picture is the MS scoreboard with the diagonal plate on it.
Attached Thumbnails
SCORE BOARDS-101_4716.jpg   SCORE BOARDS-101_4717.jpg   SCORE BOARDS-101_4718.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought seeing them would HELP! LOL I KNOW you need that 1/8" every-so-often for some crafts! I REALLY like how the measurements are raised on the Score-Pal! ( I have a score-buddy & LOVE IT!) Do you make ALOT of 3-D items Kathy? THANK YOU for posting these pictures!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

I try out all the tutorials I can find, so the scoreboards come in handy! The resource section here on SCS is fabulous so when I run out of ideas, I go in there and see what i can make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I like their resources center here too! NOW, you need to tell me where you get all your tutorials, aside from SCS! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I like their resources center here too! NOW, you need to tell me where you get all your tutorials, aside from SCS! LOL
Youtube and GinaK....If you go to Youtube and type in GinaK, you can access her tutorials there. But Youtube is a fountain of tutorials. Just type in what you want to watch! Type in Cardmaking or Big Shot or Scor Pal....you will love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

SCS is my first and best resource. Have you signed up for the weekly inkling newsletters from SCS? To the very left of this post you can find where it says "Get the weekly inkling newsletter." All you do is put in your email address and every WEdnesday you get a great newsletter. Uncheck the box that says Receive Special Offers if you aren't interested in that stuff. And in the resourse section here....I love Beate!! Her tutorials are awesome. Everyone else does a great job tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

OH YES! I DO get the Weekly Inkling Newsletter! I LOVE it too! I haven't seen a GinaK tut in a LONG time! I AGREE with you about SCS being THE BEST RESOURCE!!!!!!!! Thanks Kathy!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am going to throw another Score board in. I love the Scor-it. I heard Zutter is making them now. I bought mine from the original owners years ago. It's the only board on the market that can do hinge fold. The hinge fold is what you find with professional wedding invites for an example. You can score acetate, metals, & even foam. It has a centering ruler instead of the 1/4 lines like the SU board. The board is made out of wood & metal. It's nicely made. Excellent board for altered artists and altered book artists.

I have the Martha Stewart Scoreboard. I really like it. The grooves are narrow though so your scoring tool can slip. it serves my needs when I don't want a hinge fold for my cards or boxes.

I had a Scor-Pal. It's an excellent board. I had to give it away though. This is just a personal reason and nothing against the board. I have dyslexia and the board was hard for me to learn. Martha's board was easier for me to understand.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

DeeAnn,
I've NEVER heard of the Scor-it! Or Zutter! I'll check that out! THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes