Thread: Big Shot FAQ
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #2161
neece
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin"T" View Post
Ok ladies I need your help. I just broke my bug. My Dh thinks he can fix it but if not I need to know which one I shoulld order. I loved my bug but is the bigshot a more dependable and stronger machine? Also I have alot of extra B plates, and extra C plate and all the extended plates for the bug. If I purchase a bigshot do I need to buy all the different plates for it ? I am wondering if it is better for me to just get another bug. They say that it is made to be stronger but what broke in mine is inside where the handle is. The metal plate split in half. My DH is going to try to put a metal brace on it to hold it together. Eveything else works. When I try to emboss of cut It spreads apart and only has pressure on the opposite side.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks so much for your help
I own a Big Shot and I love it! I can't imagine being without one again!

I researched and compared Big Shot (BS) and Cuttlebug (CB) before I bought my first BS. I have owned 2 BS; the first I traded to a friend but I missed it so much that I bought another one.

I found several differences between the two machines which I will outline here:

The BS cutting plates are slightly larger in width and length than CB. Which means that CB plates will work in BS, but BS plates will not work in CB because they're too wide.

The BS supposedly has a larger amount of room under the roller -the area where the sandwich goes- which would change the necessary 'sandwich' thicknesses you would need for cutting various brands of dies.

The BS is typically a more stable cutter because it does not fold in half which is the main reason why I chose BS over CB to begin with. I also liked the larger platform. And even though BS takes up a little more room on a table than CB, I decided that for me, BS pros outweighed the cons.

The BS comes with what you need to do general cutting. Included with the machine is the Multi-Purpose Platform (MPP) plus two clear cutting pads, which is enough to get you started. You would be able to cut the shorter dies like Nesties, Sizzix Originals, certain Bigz and Sizzlits, just not the longer dies -- you would need the extended platform for the longer dies. (You may be able to use the CB extended platform you have? Not sure, but you could try it!) Just follow the sandwich recipes suggested on the MPP to get you started cutting.

If your dh is able to fix your old CB, you could give it away to a friend or relative. Or you could sell it if you think the repair would last.

I think the folding up of CB for storage is a handy feature. The geometry of the design folding up in the middle, right where the most pressure is placed during use, is its weakest point, and often cited as the point of failure.