View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #318
c-mouse
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM123 View Post
Pansy, your comment about making the cemetary runs made me a little nostalgic. When we lived in WA I always did the cleaning of the stones and placing of plants and flowers at two different cemetaries in my hometown. After I was grown and married I helped my mom when she was still alive to do this the Friday before Memorial Day. I kept it up after she died until we moved to AZ. It was almost an all day project as I had lots of family: parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and some friends. I feel kind of sad that I'm not able to do this anymore. I have one sister who lives in my hometown and she will take flowers or plants to our parents gravesite but that is it.
I grew up making the hometown cemetary where my mom's father and her younger sister were buried, and the neighboring town where my dad's parents and 3 siblings who died as infants plus dad's brother who was killed as an adult helping to clean stone areas and place flowers and then wait impatiently while the service was held and watching my dad be in the color guard/firing squad....hoping to obtain one of the shell casings so we could use them for whistles----then as a young adult I didn't go as we live 2 and 4 hours away and my parents took care of doing it. Then my dad passed away and was buried in yet a third cemetary and when mom moved to live close to us, I made the trip alone each year to do the honors. When mom passed, DH began going with me....
But having grown up performing the annual trip, I never have taken any of my kids. They are all adults now and have never experienced the ritual ceremony held or done the flowers. Actually that is wrong,,,the youngest has participated in color guards and bands playing for the ceremony but not at any of the cemetary sites where we have family ........
Not sure how I feel about that neglect of duty. They know where my parents are resting but not sure they could even locate the sites for the other two.
It is sure different from when I was growing up.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-209 done only 283+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-30 and sweating

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!