View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #45
Rainsong
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

The appointment last week at the VA started the round of bi-weekly visits we'll have to make. The oncologist ordered a two week supply of the chemo drugs from the pharmacy for dh. Due to cost, the VA does them in two week increments, so we get to slog back down the road twice a month for the next six weeks. Once this series is done (medication every day) then another round for at least the next six months when he will go on a five days on, 23 days off, routine.

During the appointment, the doctor was quite disturbed that the VA head honchos had not yet authorized my husband's radiation treatment to be done locally so he phoned two of the head honchos to get them to expedite it. Finally today we got the word from the nurse at the radiation oncology center. She has spent a lot of time on the phone since our initial visit trying to get the okay and is tickled he can finally start.

So, tomorrow we haul butt to get dh's head mapped. Still not sure when the actual radiation therapy will begin, but we'll be ready.

In between the last appointment and today's phone call, we had to go several rounds with three different doctors to get a refill on dh's Valium. Why, I have no clue. The prescribing physician couldn't do it since the VA is now involved. The oncologist at the VA couldn't do it (?) so that left dh's primary care physician at our local VA clinic. He couldn't phone it in because it's a controlled substance, but he could fax it. Very strange situation.

What is amazing about Valium is how fast it halts a seizure. Dh gets a weird sensation in the left side of his mouth as a warning and even if the seizure has started, within seconds of taking the meds, it stops.

With the rainy, gloomy weather we had over the weekend, both of us were in a bad place. There was a bit of light, though, as my sister, her daughter and her granddaughter came to visit Sunday evening. My niece loved Abby (yellow Lab) and spent a bit of time playing with her. Even though niece is only 8, she wasn't afraid of Abby's size and the two of them had a ball running and playing with Abby's Frisbee. And Abby, unlike most kids, brings her toy (said Frisbee) inside at the end of the day, which just cracks us both up.

Thanks again for all your well-wishes, prayers, good thoughts, etc. It means a lot to both of us.

Gotta check on Sammie's thread to see if there is any news on Mark.

Rainsong