Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Stampin Up demo - question re: non SU product use

Hi there - just signed up a few days ago to be a Stampin Up demo for the $99 starter kit. I plan to be a hobby demo - I am unable to do craft shows or parties (but am open to possibly doing a class at my home once in awhile). What I'd like to do is have a blog with some projects, and a link to that online store through Stampin' Up that would be linked to me.

Anyway, my question is, when showing projects - am I not allowed to use any other company products besides Stampin' Up? (For example, a paper or marker), or am I just not supposed to promote/link to/mention the other company? I was confused with some of the forum posts I've been reading. If, say, I wanted to show off a stamp set, and make some card using the set but happen to use a non SU marker or patterned paper - would that be acceptable as long as I'm not listing where those supplies are from? (thereby not promoting the competing company?)

I ask this because I really only have SU stamps, not papers or markers or ink (yet, anyway). I have SO much other products, I'd hate to have to spend tons of money stocking up on papers and such when really, I'm only trying to show off a stamp set for a few orders to help me with my minimums (so I don't have to cover it all myself).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited to add: This is specifically regarding blog posts of projects. I'd fully expect if I held a class, to use solely SU products at the class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think SU sets you up with a website...not positive though. I had a friend who was a demo for a short time and she had her own blog before signing up with SU. What she did was she would put projects on her personal blog and then when she used a SU product, she would put a link to her SU website where people could then buy from her. Like saying "I used (insert link to: Poppy Parade paper pack)...and some ribbon that I got at Joann's" I don't know if that was against the rules but it's what she did. Probably not much help; just sharing what this particular hobby demo did.

Last edited by CraftyMel2; 05-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: I put a symbol in and it erased my words
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #3  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

you can USE other products, just not promote them
you should refer to them only in a supplies list and as generically as you can

like you could say
markers but not Tombow markers or Copic markers

patterned paper, not DCWV patterned paper

and no linking to sites that sell competative merchandise

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #4  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

and you don't have to GO BACK and change earlier posts.....
but you would need to remove sidebar links to other stmping/scrapbooking sites that sell merch.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

thanks i wanted to do the same thing for $99 as a hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

You can use whatever you want on your blog/website but like Leigh said, you just can't point people to websites where they can buy competing product you used but if you are trying to sell the SU version, its in your best interest to be generic in what you publish.

Welcome to the SU family! Hope you love all the resources you get as a demo. And speaking of resources, there is actually a SU demo only forum here on SC you should totally check out. It is a great source of information, chatter, and help for demo specific questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes, you totally CAN say what brand you used. You just can't promote it so you can't:

1. Go on and on about how aweseom products XYZ is
2. Have a link to anywhere with a shopping cart to buy XYZ product

It just makes good business sense to not promote products you don't sell...hobby or not.

And as far as a website SU doesn't just give you one but you can sign up for one. Spend some time on the demo website and reading the manual. It has a lot of good info.

And join the demo forums like Jennifer suggested. Just click the join a group button on the left of the screen and follow the instructions. Hope to see you over there! It's a very helpful place and is really the place for business questions like this!

Welcome and have fun!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
You can use whatever you want on your blog/website but like Leigh said, you just can't point people to websites where they can buy competing product you used but if you are trying to sell the SU version, its in your best interest to be generic in what you publish.

Welcome to the SU family! Hope you love all the resources you get as a demo. And speaking of resources, there is actually a SU demo only forum here on SC you should totally check out. It is a great source of information, chatter, and help for demo specific questions.
Oooh! Thanks! I didn't know there was a demo forum Checking it out asap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Yes, you totally CAN say what brand you used. You just can't promote it so you can't:

1. Go on and on about how aweseom products XYZ is
2. Have a link to anywhere with a shopping cart to buy XYZ product

It just makes good business sense to not promote products you don't sell...hobby or not.

And as far as a website SU doesn't just give you one but you can sign up for one. Spend some time on the demo website and reading the manual. It has a lot of good info.

And join the demo forums like Jennifer suggested. Just click the join a group button on the left of the screen and follow the instructions. Hope to see you over there! It's a very helpful place and is really the place for business questions like this!

Welcome and have fun!
Thank you for the instructions! Totally helpful

Also, I am just going to have my own blog (I use Blogger for my main blog - just gonna create one to keep the Stampin' Up projects separate but I'll link to the projects from my main blog). I also think I'll sign up for the Stampin' Up site (the one where it's essentially the Stampin' Up store but your demo name is attached) for $13/month. I don't expect to be able to host parties, but thought I'd give the blogging with a link to "my" store a shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post

Also, I am just going to have my own blog (I use Blogger for my main blog - just gonna create one to keep the Stampin' Up projects separate but I'll link to the projects from my main blog). I also think I'll sign up for the Stampin' Up site (the one where it's essentially the Stampin' Up store but your demo name is attached) for $13/month. I don't expect to be able to host parties, but thought I'd give the blogging with a link to "my" store a shot!
That's what I do! I don't care for the SU blog....

Good luck!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I'm considering the Demonstrator thing but can't seem to make up my mind. My question sort-of relates to the one asked to start this thread so I'm tacking it on, hope that's okay.

I was wondering more specifically about posting cards in my gallery on SCS. Is it still okay to post cards to my gallery that are made using other companies stamps/products once you become a Demo? If so, can I name those companies in the write-up that I put with it or do I need to use more generic terms? I don't have a blog and don't intend to start one so that won't be an issue for me. Simply considering becoming a Demonstrator to try to save a little on my habit. ;) But I'm trying to understand all of the rules before I make a final decision.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #12  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyk3868View Post
I'm considering the Demonstrator thing but can't seem to make up my mind. My question sort-of relates to the one asked to start this thread so I'm tacking it on, hope that's okay.

I was wondering more specifically about posting cards in my gallery on SCS. Is it still okay to post cards to my gallery that are made using other companies stamps/products once you become a Demo? If so, can I name those companies in the write-up that I put with it or do I need to use more generic terms? I don't have a blog and don't intend to start one so that won't be an issue for me. Simply considering becoming a Demonstrator to try to save a little on my habit. ;) But I'm trying to understand all of the rules before I make a final decision.

Thanks so much!!
You totally can!! Use whatever you want for your personal crafting. You just can't link to other companies' stores. It's really not restrictive at all. After you've been a demo for a while you might decide to stop showing off other companies' stuff just as a personal business decision, but it's totally up to you.

The only demos who've gotten in trouble for stuff like this have been those who linked directly to stores selling the other merchandise. Totally makes sense that SU would not want their demos sending people straight to another company, eh? You can talk about it, but don't grab them by the hand and lead them to the store, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post

Welcome! See you on the demo side! : )

I have my own blog, too (on Typepad). One great thing is you can set it up to feed into the pre-made blog on your Stampin' Up demo website, too, so that it is there if anyone goes looking for it. But if you don't want to mess with setting up or paying for your own blog, the pre-made one that comes with the demo website is perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
You totally can!! Use whatever you want for your personal crafting. You just can't link to other companies' stores. It's really not restrictive at all. After you've been a demo for a while you might decide to stop showing off other companies' stuff just as a personal business decision, but it's totally up to you.

The only demos who've gotten in trouble for stuff like this have been those who linked directly to stores selling the other merchandise. Totally makes sense that SU would not want their demos sending people straight to another company, eh? You can talk about it, but don't grab them by the hand and lead them to the store, so to speak.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I keep rolling the idea around in my head and I'm almost ready to take the plunge...still trying to figure out whether it makes $$ sense for me to do it or not. I know I'll pretty much be my only customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Cool! Thanks for the info. I keep rolling the idea around in my head and I'm almost ready to take the plunge...still trying to figure out whether it makes $$ sense for me to do it or not. I know I'll pretty much be my only customer.
Well, if you have a wishlist that is $100 or more, I'd say go for it now that they've come out with the new starter kit. You can pick ANY $125 worth of product for $99 and get free shipping. Then you get at least 20% off your orders until you stop making your minimums, and then you just go back to being listed as a customer instead of a demo. So, if you were going to spend the money anyway, might as well get a discount, right? And who knows, maybe you will have a friend or two who want some stuff too and will buy from you making it easier for you to keep your demoship and the discount longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #16  

Yeah, there's no penalty for dropping or anything. And you get to keep all your stuff (some companies make you send stuff back if you drop). If you are spending $280 every quarter it just makes sense to sign up...that's why I did. And if you have even a few friends who will order from you then you won't have to buy as much (of course you'll totally want to, lol).

And lots of people just sign up for the discount....and end up doing pretty well! Right Lyssa?;-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the comments. I'm really leaning toward doing it, I've got a huge wish list with the new catalog (and I've only seen the PDF version so I'm sure the list will get even bigger when I see the real thing!). And my sister-in-law has told me that she "needs" a few things too so I think I'll have the quarterly minimums covered for awhile.

Thanks for the nudge. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I signed up about a year and a half ago and intended to be a hobby demo. I thought if I only last one quarter, so be it. Each quarter I ended up with some outside sales from friends. All of a sudden another demo said she'd do classes with me. I invite my friends and she invites her friends. Any sales from my friends go to me and vice-versa. Things have just kept falling into place and I've kept afloat. If the day comes that changes then I gladly go back to being just a good customer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #19  

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Yeah, there's no penalty for dropping or anything. And you get to keep all your stuff (some companies make you send stuff back if you drop). If you are spending $280 every quarter it just makes sense to sign up...that's why I did. And if you have even a few friends who will order from you then you won't have to buy as much (of course you'll totally want to, lol).

And lots of people just sign up for the discount....and end up doing pretty well! Right Lyssa?;-)
Ummm... yeah!!! LOL! I actually didn't even want the discount--just wanted the kit! I thought I'd be happy with just what came in the kit, can you imagine?? LOL!

I just had my seven year anniversary. You can see from my signature that it very quickly took off into something I never imagined in my whole life!!! I'm so glad I didn't miss that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Love hearing your stories. Hope it goes as well for me, I think I'm finally ready...planning to get my order ready for the starter kit and submit it in the next day or two. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Love hearing your stories. Hope it goes as well for me, I think I'm finally ready...planning to get my order ready for the starter kit and submit it in the next day or two. Thanks!!
Yay! Very exciting for you! PS - I learned that if you are getting any ink pads as part of your starter kit, you can select the new style instead of the old style of pads. So, just an fyi! Have lots of fun with it and we'll see you more on the demo side!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
Yay! Very exciting for you! PS - I learned that if you are getting any ink pads as part of your starter kit, you can select the new style instead of the old style of pads. So, just an fyi! Have lots of fun with it and we'll see you more on the demo side!
Great! Glad to hear that I can get the new ones, I'll be buying the new In Colors for sure, not sure that I'm ready to replace all of my old ink pads just yet...better see how the Demonstrator thing goes for awhile before committing to that. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

I signed up for the discount, too. Figured I would get my wish list (which was at about $500) and then go back to being a customer. That was 4 years ago. Welcome to the SU! family! And for those of you on the fence- DO IT! You'll be joining one big happy family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I knew that some demos had a much more difficult time with their compliance to the IDA, and here's one who gives their experience:
Why I Am No Longer A Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator & How It Affects You | Andrea Walford - Mixed Media Artist, Paper Crafter

Have they become more relaxed on their enforcement or changed their policies since that time? This seems to be a bit more rigid than some of you have indicated.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 05-15-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Have they become more relaxed on their enforcement or changed their policies since that time? This seems to be a bit more rigid than some of you have indicated.
I wonder about this too. They have retired quite a few basic tools like the paper crimper, Crop-A-Dile, circle cutter and Dotto adhesive. What are demos supposed to use now at workshops that is still in the line and will work as well? Or are they not supposed to make anything that would require those tools?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
I wonder about this too. They have retired quite a few basic tools like the paper crimper, Crop-A-Dile, circle cutter and Dotto adhesive. What are demos supposed to use now at workshops that is still in the line and will work as well? Or are they not supposed to make anything that would require those tools?
If SU doesn't sell something comparable then we are allowed to use it. So, a crop-a-dile can still be used (or any of the other things you mentioned...just using this as an example). Customers just aren't able to but it. And even if we still did offer it....I had one I had before I was a demo and I could still use it. I just let customers know I already had mine and theirs would be a different color. SU does NOT expect anyone to replace tools they may have already had...

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I knew that some demos had a much more difficult time with their compliance to the IDA, and here's one who gives their experience:
Why I Am No Longer A Stampin� Up! Demonstrator & How It Affects You | Andrea Walford - Mixed Media Artist, Paper Crafter

She apparently actively promoted products that are not SU on her VIDEOs, which is a no-no. And when asked to stop, she chose not to, and stepped away from SU.

However, as stated earlier, you can use whatever you wish for your personal enjoyment. Even on your blog, as long as you don't point people where to go and be generic. I often just state "non-SU" on my blogposts.

During workshops, I definitely try to use everything by SU. Afterall, that's what I'm trying to sell. No sense in showing things that SU doesn't sell. Doesn't benefit me any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks again for all of the information! I just signed up yesterday, now I'm trying to navigate through all of the stuff on the SU website and I need to go check out the Demo Forum here too! Can't wait for all of my new goodies to arrive. Chat with you all soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Thanks again for all of the information! I just signed up yesterday, now I'm trying to navigate through all of the stuff on the SU website and I need to go check out the Demo Forum here too! Can't wait for all of my new goodies to arrive. Chat with you all soon!
Woo-hoo! Congratulations!!!!!! See you on the demo forum!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #30  

Amy! Congrats on signing up as a demo! :-D Yay! Have a wonderful time with your new goodies!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...looks like the OP got her questions answered though. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes