Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How do you store your paper scraps?

With the exception of the smallest scraps, I find it really difficult to part with paper scraps. And, to my credit, sometimes I do use them. But they sure can take up a lot of space and I haven't found a way yet where it's easy to see what I have so that I use them more.

So my questions for the group are this:
1) How do you store your paper scraps?
2) Do you purge your saved scraps and, if so, how often?
3) How good are you at actually using the scraps you've saved?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #2  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I have two baskets on my table - one for cs scraps less than 1/4 sheet, and one for designer paper scraps less than 1/4 sheet. I find having them out helps me to think of them & use them. I use them often when I want to punch shapes or cut with small dies & embosslits. Sometimes they do get out of hand (like right now - the basket is full!) and then I make a point of trying to make cards that use some of the scraps. I will also sometimes just go through and punch/die cut a bunch of stuff and just them all sitting in a container on my table, ready for use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a drawer that barely holds a 8.5"x11" paper. I go through it to play with some ideas, and I'm not out a full sized piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 3-drawer storage thing I got at Staples. I think it would hold 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I have the drawers designated red/purple, blue/green and yellow/brown/black. I have to force myself to throw away even tiny scraps but save the larger one and dip into the appropriate drawers as the color need comes up. Don't ask how I came up with the color combinations - just seemed to work for me. I keep my metallic scrapes in a separate opaque snap envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I store each paper pack from SU or Gina K or lose paper by color in Zip lock bags . Then I put the scraps in the bag with the uncut paper. This way I can always use the small pieces first .

The Zip Lock bags with the paper are all in a filing cabinet drawer to keep them out of the light so they don't fade or get dusty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just have a smallish hanging wicker basket... I put scraps in it with white/vanilla in front, then pattern, then solid with half sheets in the very back. It hangs just next to my work table and it's the first "system" where I actually use the scraps.

Maybe 2 x 3 is the smallest I keep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Rolling Cart

I use a rolling cart with drawers like this and keep my scraps by color groups. It works great for me. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have 4 zip lock bags...2 gallon, 2 quart...1 quart one has pattern scraps, one has cardstock less than 8.5x11...1 gallon one has cardstock over 8.5x1 and the other gallon one has all white, whisper white...

I glean them out quite often to punch out things for the pre-school, so nothing goes to waste and I do check my scraps first when making anything!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out this great idea using plastic zip bags and slacks hangers. It was shown on a post in the Organization thread:

Dollar Store Crafts � Blog Archive � Amazing Scrapbook Paper Organization Idea

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep my CS sorted by colors, each color has a folder. The scraps go in the front. I keep a lot of scraps, but do try to get rid of the smaller ones in the recycle bin. I keep my 12 x 12 DSP in a jetmax cube, the scraps go into a page protector at the front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 790 Likes on 325 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
With the exception of the smallest scraps, I find it really difficult to part with paper scraps. And, to my credit, sometimes I do use them. But they sure can take up a lot of space and I haven't found a way yet where it's easy to see what I have so that I use them more.

1) all my cs and the small amount of decorative paper that I use are arranged in color order in a hanging file box. I put the smaller pieces in front of the full size sheets in each folder. I also have a small box full of strips to use in Bargello. I don't add to that box any more because it is full.
2) I purge when I'm checking to see what colors I need to replenish. If there is a ton of one color I toss some of the smaller ones.
3) Yes, when I need cs for layering, I look first at the smaller pieces in front of the file folder to see if any are the right size, if not - THEN I use a whole piece. I also use the strips of cs for Bargello. I wrote a tutorial on how to here:Magnolia's Place: One of the Prettiest Paper Art Techniques!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep them in drop folders right in front of the same color so when I need that color I go to the scrap before I use a whole new sheet. Works great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, everybody! You have motivated me to attack my scrap mountain and get it under control using some of your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I have what I call my big blue tub o' scraps under my desk. It's shallow and I use some cardboard pieces to divide by color. The only color that I separate patterned paper from cardstock is blue--I use a LOT of blue, otherwise it is mixed together. I purge it once a year, usually around Christmas time for some very strange reason. It works for me to do it this way, but I probably should be more brutal when I purge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink

I have a plastic filing box that will hold the hanging folders. I made labels for each color group, and dsp. So then I organize my scraps into reds, blues, greens, neutrals. Box fits neatly under my sewing machine, and if I go off to stamp with someone it is easy to grab. Then about once a year I go through the box and clean it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep ALL scraps (cardstock & patterned paper) in a drawer that I have set up with hanging file folders. I have the folders labeled by color (red, blue, purple, pink, etc.). When I cut a piece of cardstock, what's left goes into the correct folder. Same goes for patterned paper (unless it's part of a pad- then I keep it with the pad).

I save scraps as small as 1" square to use for quilted cards. I try to make these once or twice a month (at least) to use up scraps. And I have gotten into the habit of looking in my drawer for scraps to use BEFORE I reach for new cardstock/paper to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep mine in an accordian file, like you would use to file bills. The one I use has 12 sections. I use one section per color, and throw all scraps--cardstock and designer/patterned paper--into that color.
Its not a very scientific system, but it works for me. If I need a smaller piece of paper to layer or add to a card, I just pick up the file and rummage through.
--Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

1) How do you store your paper scraps? In color coded 12 x12 Iris project boxes. I bought one of the carts that hold the project boxes and took it apart so I have two 3-shelf units. Pink scraps go in the pink box, blue in blue, etc. The only colors are in clear boxes are red and brown as I haven't found boxes that color. White and vanilla stored in separate storage boxes.

2) Do you purge your saved scraps and, if so, how often? Only when the boxes get too full. I try to only save pieces that are at least 3" square but sometimes I just dump all the scraps in the box.

3) How good are you at actually using the scraps you've saved? Pretty good - I go to my scrap boxes before I cut a full piece of paper. I teach classes and if I have a alot of left overs of the same size, I incorporate that size into the class project.

Every now and then I give myself a challenge to make cards that only use scraps. It helps me clear them out and I feel good about using them up. Also, I can always tell when I've been using a lot of one color as the box will be full.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

1. Like Stamphappy1650, I store my scraps in 12 x 12 Iris boxes but mine are all clear. They are stacked one on top of the other in this order and always returned in the same order: red & pink, yellow & orange; blue; green; purple; brown, tan, cream, black & white. Inside the boxes the cardstock scraps are loose and there are large ziplock bags, one holding patterned paper, another for solid non-cardstock paper [vellum, mulberry, etc], and sometimes a third for metallic or specialty paper.

2. I purge about once a year, sometimes bringing my scraps to my card making group to share.

3. I do use the scraps; I always check my scrap boxes before cutting a new piece of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I store my sheets of Stampin Up cardstock in hanging file folders in a filing cabinet. Scraps that are at least 1/4 of a sheet get placed at the front of each folder.

For smaller stuff, I have some plastic 8 1/2x11 storage drawers with a drawer for every color. Honestly though, I keep way too much tiny little stuff that I'll likely never use, so periodically I donate a bag for the kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Zip lock bags sorted into primary colours stashed in a basket. I reach for them whenever I need something small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I put all my scraps in a silver bucket that sits on my work countertop. It's within arms reach so I seem to use it more. I have a tendency to use more scraps with making cards then I do scrapbooking. I usually purge my scraps every couple months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

My scraps are in the white Michael's cubes by colour groups. I bought 2 of the ones that come with 4 drawers in them.

I don't remember where I found this YouTube video, but once I saw it, I had to buy one of these too from Michael's for transporting my scraps to crops.

Organizing Your Scraps - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

If it's less than a cardfront (1/4 sheet), I don't store it; I toss it. I'm extremely blessed that I can afford to toss smaller scraps so I do. It simplifies my crafting life and I really value that.

I purge patterned paper scraps after every project. If I'm doing a scrapbook with a particular line of paper, once I'm done, all scraps (and generally the left over papers, embellishements, etc) are gone. My LSS has a box that you can put scraps in or take scraps from. As I'm cleaning up from a crop, I just drop off my scraps in that box. At home, they get tossed (recycled). That way I never have a big pile to deal with.

Lousy. Really, really lousy. So unless it's a cardfront (I have a basket on my desk that those go in right away), it is not kept. I don't use them; I guess my brain just doesn't think like that.

I know this won't work for everyone, but it sure works for me! Good luck.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My paper is stored in hanging files and I put the scraps in the front of the paper. I also reach for those pieces first. I barely have any scraps. I guess it is my OCD that gets rid of them first before cutting into a fresh piece.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I use 12x12 drawers. I have alot of scraps and frequently go into them as I mostly make cards so I have two sets of the drawers totalling 6 drawers. I have the papers sorted out by color and this works well. If it starts to get too full I make a point to use up some of the scraps or will do a quick look through and see if I can get rid of anything. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post

1)I store my scraps in 5 stackable plastic drawers (they hold a 8.5x11 sheet) Anything that is larger than that is stored in upright hanging file folders organized by color. My scraps are in these categories a)neutrals, b)brights & darks, c)pastels d)patterned paper larger than cardfront size, e)patterned paper smaller thank cardfront. I don't save anything that won't fit a punch or sentiment.

2)I rarely purge my scraps because I go through them so fast. See below.

3) I go to my scrap drawers first when I am making a card. I use A LOT of scraps for punches, sentiments, layering, etc. My daughters also know that they are welcome to use any of my scraps for their artwork.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post

Lousy. Really, really lousy. So unless it's a cardfront (I have a basket on my desk that those go in right away), it is not kept. I don't use them; I guess my brain just doesn't think like that.

I know this won't work for everyone, but it sure works for me! Good luck.

With all the great ideas people have posted, this is one of the best in that you obviously know yourself and so your "system" supports who you are.

I am better at using some scraps colors than others. I think I need to get over the idea that I am being wasteful if I throw them out and focus on how nice it would be if I drastically reduced the amount of stuff I have. My LSS doesn't offer the recycling box, but I am betting that I could package them up by color and gift them to someone.

I think I will apply some of the ideas posted here for my more favorite colors and then get the majority of the rest of them to a new home or to a recycling center so that it doesn't land in the landfill.

Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I store my scraps in two plastic three drawer units buy color: black/white, red, pink/purple, green, blue, yellow/orange/brown. They stack on top of each other and I keep them right on my desk where I create. Having them close at hand allows me to easily access them both for using scraps and also to clean up after I'm done a project. I just pull open the drawer and throw in the scraps.

I used to store them in ziplock bags but that didn't really work for me. I would pile up scraps, take the time to sort and put away in a bin on the floor, then didn't end up using them. I like the scraps in the drawers right on my table where I can easily access them and see them.

My son has free reign with the scraps and loves to punch out shapes.

I just read the PaperCraft magazine issue called Practical Solutions (the one on Storage and Organization) and they had a whole section on using paper scraps on cards. Lots of really great suggestions that I hadn't thought of. Lots of inspiration for using up scraps.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Rebecca, I saw that magazine and scooped it right up for just that reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

All,
I think I have come up with something that should work for me. I had purchased some 5.5x6" clear plastic boxes at The Container Store several years ago. I decided they are the perfect size -- big enough, but not too big. I will be putting 2 colors in each so that I can optimize the back/front of the boxes -- that is, all the Yellows facing one way and all the Oranges facing the opposite way. For colors I use a whole lot, they will probably end up with their own box. And, holiday-specific papers will have their own box with dividers to separate. I am putting a sandwich bag in the front to hold embossed and die cut pieces abandoned from other projects.

I'm not even halfway through and my trash can is getting full of discards. I also am assembling a big ziploc with larger pieces that I know I won't use and hope I can either donate to a local organization, or gift to someone here on SCS.

I still need to figure out where I'm going to put them since I want the papers and c/s upright, not laying flat (where the lid would have fit on top), but I have some ideas about that. I will need to purchase a few more boxes, but not many, since I've been able to repurpose so many.

I'm feeling really optimistic about it all.

Attached are pictures from the 1st 2 I did last night.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Debbie
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your paper scraps?-img_2312.jpg   How do you store your paper scraps?-img_2310.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Ziploc bags by size, large, strips and little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

I love/hate paper scraps. If you throw them away, it's wasteful, yet keeping them almost feels the same. I love them for making flowers or backgrounds, but the bin fills up so fast I can't stay ahead of it. I have decided NOT to organize them or they might think they have WON!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

You are off to a great start! Mine are not organized that precisely. I have them by colour groups (yellow and orange, pink and red) and the most used colours on their own but within those groups, I just toss them in. Reds and pinks are all mixed up together.

If you are looking to donate, this person in SCS is looking for anything you are willing to part with:
getting a cardmaking setup for the senior/disabled by sek111sbc at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a rolling file cart under my work table and check the files for just about every card I make. There are two hanging files for each color (solid, print) and all the various white cardstock I use. Those long one inch strips tend to accumulate and fatten up the files; occasionally I use them to make some border strips that get transferrred to my color coded boxes of embellishments. Also, I make multiple glitter border strips to keep with the embellies (don't like to mess with glitter for just one application).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have mine sorted by color, tucked into the pockets of 8 1/2" x 11" pages designed to hold three 4" x 6" photos, and the pocket pages filed in hanging file folders in my file cabinet. When I need a smallish piece of cardstock, I pull out the appropriate folder first, before cutting into a "virgin" piece...

I store the patterned paper scraps with the larger pieces of the same pattern, in big ziploc bags. Right now they're arranged upright in a cabinet, but I plan to do a "clip it up" type thing with them when I get motivated enough...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

gr8cards -- lol!

Scrapninny -- thanks. I am definitely willing to part with a bunch of them. I will try to get through the remaining pile (piles!) and pull out the ones I know no longer fit my tastes and send them out. Thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Default Card scraps...

I use a rolling file cart from the office supply store. It has double hanging. I have all of my 8 1/2 x 11 CS in there, including my scraps. The scraps are in with each color. I don't bag them or anything, they sit in front of the full sheets. This saves time and I use them first when I go for CS. I do purge and sort my scraps as needed.

This morning I searched the gallery and couldn't find any ideas that would be better than the system I am now using. It works well for me. I did have towers from a Scrapbook store that went out of business, they were just too big for my home use. I needed something compact.

I do keep the CS rack out of the sunlight. It is covered when it is not in use, I don't want the CS to have faded edges.

I do hope this is helpful for you and good luck on finding the system right for you. It took me a few tries to get my storage the way I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to keep them stored in a file box in hanging file folders by color. However, I never used them. Now, I only buy 6x6 paper pads, so I just stick all my scraps in the front of the pad. The next time I use that paper pad, I always try to use the scraps first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw somewhere online that a lady taped a ziplock to the back of her paper pads to keep the scraps in. Haven't tried it but thought it might be a good idea.

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes