View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1481
SophieLaFontaine
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Duh, guess that would help, LOL:
Losing Your Religion: Analytic Thinking Can Undermine Belief: Scientific American

Oh, and here's another article that gives a few more details of the original journal article:

If You Answer This Math Problem Correctly, You May Be an Atheist
Did you scroll down to read the comments??? Hilarious!!! I love the comment that says "math is stupid, just like religion". (I like math)

I got both answers wrong, despite liking math. As the (current) first comment says, "I have failed as an atheist". LOL

Anyway, I was once a believer and now am not, not because of analytical thought or the internet. Sometimes, I think I still DO believe that God exists, because of the rage that simply arises in me against God (I think if I TRULY did not believe that there was a god, I wouldn't have this rage - I mean, I NEVER rage against Santa Claus). It's just that while I believe that (the Protestant) God exists in those moments of rage, I disagree with Him vehemently and viscerally and think it is unconscionable that He allowed SO much ugliness into the Bible that allows some (okay, in my personal opinion, it is a LOT) of His followers to behave in such extremely awful, cruel, and mean ways. I guess the turning point was decades ago when a (straight) couple asked me WHY it was so wrong for gays to marry. I gave the pat religious answer, but hated myself for it. I felt horror at what I had said. I guess that was more the final straw than anything. Years and years of having given pat religious answers and feeling like a idiot parroting hypocrite and the resulting self-hatred and self-disgust crashed down on me and I finally "came out" as a "non-believer".
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!