View Single Post
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1481
Stazon Splitcoast

Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Duh, guess that would help, LOL:
Losing Your Religion: Analytic Thinking Can Undermine Belief: Scientific American

Oh, and here's another article that gives a few more details of the original journal article:

If You Answer This Math Problem Correctly, You May Be an Atheist
Did you scroll down to read the comments??? Hilarious!!! I love the comment that says "math is stupid, just like religion". (I like math)

I got both answers wrong, despite liking math. As the (current) first comment says, "I have failed as an atheist". LOL

Anyway, I was once a believer and now am not, not because of analytical thought or the internet. Sometimes, I think I still DO believe that God exists, because of the rage that simply arises in me against God (I think if I TRULY did not believe that there was a god, I wouldn't have this rage - I mean, I NEVER rage against Santa Claus). It's just that while I believe that (the Protestant) God exists in those moments of rage, I disagree with Him vehemently and viscerally and think it is unconscionable that He allowed SO much ugliness into the Bible that allows some (okay, in my personal opinion, it is a LOT) of His followers to behave in such extremely awful, cruel, and mean ways. I guess the turning point was decades ago when a (straight) couple asked me WHY it was so wrong for gays to marry. I gave the pat religious answer, but hated myself for it. I felt horror at what I had said. I guess that was more the final straw than anything. Years and years of having given pat religious answers and feeling like a idiot parroting hypocrite and the resulting self-hatred and self-disgust crashed down on me and I finally "came out" as a "non-believer".
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is done with chemo and surgery. She is done with radiation treatments too, and is now just focused on recovering. She loves the cards!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!