View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Leeann34
Kookie Creator

I got my first MAC for Christmas and being in IT and only using/supporting Windows it was definitely a learning curve for me. So when I reinstalled my SCAL on it, I had to learn to use it all over again. I found Silhouette Studio Designer edition on sale for 50% off so I went ahead and bought it. I'm glad I did because since I already owned some Silhouette designs from the monthly subscription and SVG files from other sources, it's so much easier to have them all in one place. I would say if you do end up buying the Silhouette Cameo, already own SVG's and are planning to buy Silhouette's designs, go ahead and invest in the Designer Edition upgrade like I did. I haven't used my SCAL since. I should also mention that I have designed my own using Inkscape in the past and can very easily use those in Designer edition as well as SCAL.

As for the shapes, I'm also not a fan of "cartoonish" designs, but I'm definitely not disappointed in what the Silhouette store has to offer, you can visit the shape store without downloading the software HERE. Like DeeAnn recommended, go to SilhouetteAmerica.com and download the free Studio Software and try it out, it is the actual software that comes with the machine so there are no limitations except for the fact that you can't import or create SVG's. If you do decide to go with the SC, consider the $10/month subscription where you get a $25 credit on your Silhouette account each month that carries over to the next month if you don't use it. This is an especially great deal since I have found some great shapes in Clearance for 50 cents that are updated every Tuesday, all of the weekly Freebies are great quality too.

And one more point... shop around, Silhouette Cameo and the software are both frequently on sale, or you can get great deals on bundles every now and then that may include a Starter Kit for Vinyl, Fabric Transfer, etc. The extras are worth the wait, especially if it's something you may not consider before you try it. Do a google search for "Silhouette Cameo Promo Code". I don't think there's one now but it's probably coming in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you have enough information now. I'm glad the previous poster was able to point out the Cons since I don't cut these items so I wasn't aware there was a problem with them. I'm glad to know this now so it helped me as well.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!