View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
lylacfey
Pearl-ExPert

I will start out and give one big con to the Silhouette. It really only cuts lighter material. If your wanting to cut out heavier items like acetate, thin type wood, shrinky dinks, etc you will want to look into a heavier duty machine. I throw that con out first because a lot of people buy Silhouette machines and nine times out of ten they upgrade to a heavier duty machine.

I do want to add that some new Cameo users are cutting heavier materials with their Silhouettes. I do not recommend this for the long run. The Motherboard in the Silhouette machines was configured for detailed cutting, Print & Cut, & Vinyl work.

I am not trying to deter you or anybody reading this. I hope y'all don't think that. I am a long time user of the Silhouette machine. I also have a Cricut Imagine and BossKut Gazelle. I have used several different die cutters over the years. Die cutting is a huge love of mine. I absolutely adore my Cameo. I would buy another one in a heartbeat over my other die cutters.

If your into paper crafting and vinyl the Cameo is a perfect fit. It does cut light fabric so an excellent machine for fabric artists who work with light type cotton materials. If you are into quilting arts, mixed media, cake decorating or other heavy duty crafts you will want to look into a different machine.

MTC does not work on MAC. Some users have gotten it to work using Parallels and other VM type software.

SCAL does work with MAC and you can use the Cameo. SCAL has a really great forum with a lot of really sweet people on there. They can tell you more about MAC/SCAL and how it's working for them.

Silhouette Studio does come with your Silhouette it is free. If you want to import SVG's you will need to upgrade to the Designer version. The Designer version is already in Silhouette Studio so you won't have to download new software.

All the cutter software on the market does have a learning curve. There are millions of great YouTube videos and tutorial blogs to teach you. MTC & SCAL have great forums with helpful people.

I do work with all the software. I use MTC, SCAL, Funtime, & Silhouette Studio.

You can download Silhouette Studio for free: Silhouette - Download New Software The store is in the software so you can start browsing all the pretty files. It's freeware and not a demo.

I know I wrote another long post on die cutters. I like to be through because these are expensive machines and an investment for a lot of people.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams

Last edited by lylacfey; 04-19-2012 at 01:02 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!