Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory Box die cut problems

I just purchased a Memory Box Winterland Tree die cut and I can not get it to cut through. I have a Big Shot. I put in new cutting plates so that is not the problem. I am putting in shims and that has not helped. I tried other die cuts and they work fine. But, this one does not. Has anyone else had any problems with this die cut?:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Oh, I am really interested in this too. I found a Memory Box tree that I have seen cards done with --only problem is I cannot find a place that has it. I am also wondering how they cut. I have a Cuttlebug. Thanks for asking this!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry you are having that problem. I have seven of the Memory Box die cuts, including the Winter Wonderland tree and I have had absolutely no problem with them. I have a Cuttlebug, and I have cut many different types of paper, including a plastic coated silver mirror paper. If you check my gallery, you can see samples of 3 of them.

Are they cutting at all? I did have a bit of trouble with the Snowflake die, but only cutting through a rather thick piece of acetate.

Perhaps try contacting the place you purchased them from - perhaps they are defective?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

They are cutting a tiny bit. I have tried everything. I used the same paper and other Memory Box die cuts and didn't have a problem. I think it must be defective. Your cards are gorgeous. I sure wish I could do some trees!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree, check with place where you bought the die. Take a sample with you. Memory Box is a very reputable company.

I have a friend who had a stamp that was mounted crooked on the wood so that when she tried to cut it the compatible die, the two didn't match. Dave Brethauer was here teaching some classes that we so she showed him her samples and there was no problem making an exchange.

Good luck. I have this die but haven't tried to cut an image yet but it have cut some other delicate die with success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mine cut fine. however, I don't use heavy cardstock with any dies. I use A Muse Studio or Memory Box cardstocks as they cut perfectly.

you might want to try thinner cardstock or adding some type of paper shim to your sandwich. good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just tested mine and it cut fine on SU cardstock - layers are tab 2, cutting plate, die, paper, cutting plate, and cardstock shim.

Do you get just an impression and no cuts, no impression? is the cutting edge facing up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoSherryView Post
I just purchased a Memory Box Winterland Tree die cut and I can not get it to cut through. I have a Big Shot. I put in new cutting plates so that is not the problem. I am putting in shims and that has not helped. I tried other die cuts and they work fine. But, this one does not. Has anyone else had any problems with this die cut?:(
I have the Memory Box Sofia Heart die and the old purple Wizard, and I have the same problem. Using new plates and various shims, but no luck. I also have no problem with other Memory Box dies, but this one seems to be my challenge. I finally emailed Ellen Hutson to see if they might have any suggestions. Will be glad to share what they say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Would love to hear what she says. I did write Memory Box but of course got no response. I had the shop try it where I purchased it and after several goes at it, they got it to work. Yes, Big Shot is old but I know how to make things work in it but this die was impossible. I won't be buying anymore Memory Box dies with intricate cuttings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoSherryView Post
Would love to hear what she says. I did write Memory Box but of course got no response. I had the shop try it where I purchased it and after several goes at it, they got it to work. Yes, Big Shot is old but I know how to make things work in it but this die was impossible. I won't be buying anymore Memory Box dies with intricate cuttings.
I'm sorry you're having troubles with your die. I hope you'll reconsider about not getting more MB dies because their intricate designs are what make them so special. Hopefully it's just a defective die and you can get a replacement and start loving them as much as the rest of us.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies..have you all tried the metal plate that is recommended with these dies? There is a larger plate and a smaller plate. I would suggest that you give one of these a try they fit right in your regular sandwich and you cut on them. You will probably still need to rotate the die a few times to get all the cuts but these dies are so worth it.
blessings.

Last edited by stamp_momma; 01-05-2012 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: removed for site posting rules
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Sprtchick, do I need the metal plate with the Wizard? I've not needed something like that for anything else. Happy to try it, though. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ladies..have you all tried the metal plate that is recommended with these dies? There is a larger plate and a smaller plate. I would suggest that you give one of these a try they fit right in your regular sandwich and you cut on them. You will probably still need to rotate the die a few times to get all the cuts but these dies are so worth it.
blessings.
Hi Amber,
I haven't heard about the metal plate. Where have you seen them?

Thanks,
Colleen

Last edited by cgeemvf; 01-05-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

they are in my web store..items S113 and S114.

I am sure the metal plates would work in any machine that you use plates and dies in. I have found them to work fabulously and if you use the metal plates a lot...like I do...you will have to replace them eventually...mine looks like it was run over by a semi now but still works.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I've heard back from Ellen Hutson (their customer service is amazing!) and they said that because of the details of that die, additional pressure may be needed, and could I please send them a picture so they can try to figure out a solution. It sounds like I just need to find the right type of shim. The truth is that it is a cute die and it looks great even simply embossed. I'm satisfied.

I am, however, thinking it might be time to update my die cutter. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I found a small piece of metal at Lowes in the roofing section. It was called 5x8 Shingle Brown Steel item #125874 and cost $.84. It's kinda ugly...dull grey on one side and brown paint on the other. It's also kinda flexible so it will dent and bend easily so I'll have to be careful with it. It's also not stainless steel but since I'm not going to get it wet, it doesn't matter to me.

The sandwich I used was (from bottom up) A plate, metal plate, C plate, die (cutting side up), paper to cut, B plate. I found that I had to put the die cutting side up in order to get it to cut well. It cut in 2 passes (ran it back and forth). I still had to push the pieces out, but they were all cut and didn't take any wiggling to remove.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default Memory Box

I don't think that it is Memory Box that is selling the metal plate. I've read that the metal plate is considered risky as your machine was built to have some "give" in the plastic pads and the metal plate doesn't allow any give.

I love the Memory Box dies and cut even the Frostyville without a problem. I cut it with scrapbook paper and Bazzill.

dolores

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ladies..have you all tried the metal plate that is recommended with these dies?
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had problems with the spider web and the Christmas tree dies from Memory Box. I have used wax paper between the die and the paper and that seems to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I too have a tree die and at first it didnt cut at all in my Sizzix even with the entire platform for wafer thin dies. Then I played about with using craft foam to make extra shim and discovered I got a perfect cut when I added two pieces of thin craft foam to the platform sandwich.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Love Memory Box and love Cheery Lynn Dies - they are among the most intricate. You can use the metal shim that was referred to earlier to give complete flat coverage for the entire die. I also use a piece of waxed paper or bakery tissue layered between the paper and the die that I'm using -- helps pop the final product out of the die more easily.... I don't use the metal die as the cutting surface but as a shim on top of the die (I use all my dies cutting down as opposed to many who use the die cutting up)

Not to steal the thread (sorry don't mean to) but Cheery Lynn dies are as intricate and they've posted a bunch of videos on how best to use their dies Here: Videos: Cheery Lynn Designs: Our Magical Dies work in your favorite table-top machine

You may want to check them out -- same techniques work with all of the new very detailed dies --- I've had no problems cutting when using the metal shim -- it makes ALL the difference in the world.

Love Memory Box and Cheery Lynn dies - have many of both and have had no problems and some "finer" details than the die being referenced.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have tree die no problem I use a metal plate I got from sweetstamps I think it was $12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the metal plate all the time with my cuttlebug to cut. It makes one pass much better than several and turning the die and paper to run through more than one time. It is such a thin metal plate that it easily fits in the a plate b plate, metal plate, die and cardstock and C plate to cut. No problems.]
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually had problems with the MB Pinwheel Posie die. It took more than 12 passes through my Wizard to get it to cut, and even then I had to use scissors on some parts.

Contacted the store where I got it from, they in turn contacted MB who sent me a replacement. The new one cuts much, much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A while back I ordered some metal embossing plates from Cheery Lynn Designs, and they sent me free with the order a little rubber/silicone mat to use with their metal embossing plates. I've been using that as a shim with my Big Shot to cut intricate Memory Box dies and have had good results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I had ordered several dies from Ellen H. and one of them was the Arbescello Tree. All the windows and shutters worked fine ---cannot get the Tree to cut all the way thru. I have a Cuttlebug. Tried several shims and nothing works. Any suggestions for that die? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously ObsessedView Post
I had ordered several dies from Ellen H. and one of them was the Arbescello Tree. All the windows and shutters worked fine ---cannot get the Tree to cut all the way thru. I have a Cuttlebug. Tried several shims and nothing works. Any suggestions for that die? Thanks!
I have the same tree and it cuts perfectly for me using my BS. I started using a metal plate for my dies with tiny cuts and it makes a HUGE difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I went down and tried the die up and also down and it made not difference. I did look up the site and may have to do that. Thanks! But, I also emailed Ellen Hutson LLC to see what they say about it. But my question ----where do you put the metal plate in the stacking? Am sure it would probably be about the same in the Big Shot or the Cuttlebug. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

The metal plate goes under the non-cutting side of the die. Check out this video for the cuttlebug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Problem solved ---I emailed Ellen Hutson over the weekend ---got an email back saying that they had notified Memory Box and that they were very good with problem dies. Well ---guess they are ---I got the replacement today ---Wednesday! That is what I call great service from both companies! I will buy from them again! Most definitely! Oh ---and this one works fine! But - I am still going to order that metal plate if I cannot find it locally!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Okay ---I am still at this diecut cutting problem. The windows, shutters and other dies work fine. I have mastered the tree ---but takes muscles! I bought and am using the metal sheet from Memory Box. I still have to use a single sheet of cardstock for a shim. And I still have to run it thru the Cuttlebug 10 times to get it to cut! Anyone else have this issue yet? I like the outcome---and this die has already been replaced by Memory Box and this one does the same as the last. My Cuttlebug is from when they first came out. Wonder if that is my problem. It is just too worn out. Anyone else have this same thing happen??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Update note.....Remember to put the wrong side of the die against the metal plate from Memory Box! I did it right the first time --and then flipped the die the otherway --and without thinking ran it thru the Cuttlebug. Made indentation in the metal! Hope it still will work! And - also - got a video to make the metal dies run better -----put small pieces of removal tape on the back of the die in the center where the die is not cutting thru right. Just build a layer or two of small strips! Works wonders! So much better! So - I had to also adjust my cutting layers -----A Plate --- piece of copy paper --B plate--metal plate --diecut UP --cardstock ---C plate! Works wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

You do not want to cut on to the metal plate or it will get all warped. Ask me how I know. ?.lol
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

You have no idea how much better you made me feel.......I figured I was the only one that would do something like that! Worst part ---paid $12 for the plate! Lol That killed me more than anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Metal plate

After watching the metal plate video by Cheery Lynn for their dies, I simply tried the metal from the bottom of a Chipolte pan....... it is flexible and works just fine......

I use it for Cheery Lynn dies and the memory Box dies. Just a thought.....

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Here's another suggestion that hasn't been mentioned yet. I don't know if you can do this in the Wizard, but it works in my Big Kick. When you are using thin dies, it helps to place them toward the outer edges of the cutting platform. I don't need any extra shims or plates for my Memory Box dies. Even the SU Doily die works like a dream when I do this. Also, if your plastic cutting plates are warped, make sure that the highest part is facing up (so that it looks like a hill instead of a valley).

I hope that all makes sense, because it really works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

I have quite a few memorybox dies and a few of them a nightmare to cut :(
I feel disappointed, especially with the large birdcage as it wasn't cheap :(
I don't rate these dies very highly :(
I have some that cut great, but I also have better quality other dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

So - what brands do you feel are better? I just ordered 3 more Memory Box ones and they should come today. Hope I am happy with these! I have had to put one of mine thru the Cuttlebug 12 times to get a good cut! Do not think I should have to do that with any brand! And yet ---I buy more! Ha!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Hi there
I recently discovered a new American stamp company called Wplus9, if you click on my blogspot and scroll down my sidebar you will see their logo.
I live in UK and I have ordered their stamps which stamp perfectly!! and their dies are 100% ... looooove them!
I love Papertrey too, but have to save up alot to purchase from them as shipping is very expensive to UK, Wplus9 shipping is very good.
Apart from those dies I love Die-namics and good ole Sizzix ... LOL

hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I just got my 3 new Memory Box dies from Ellen Hutson LLC. I ordered them on Wednesday and they arrived today! Great service! Now cannot wait to play! Will check out those die companies as well! None of our local stores carry anything except Nestabilities. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

just wanted to get back to everyone about the memorybox dies. I think I should purchase the shim. I have read up about this and also need shim for cheery lynn dies too.
Hope this is a help and we can all enjoy our memorybox dies
Reply With Quote Likes