Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Seek helping solving embossing bigger than A2 sized cards

I mostly make 5 1/4" x 7 1/4" cards.As you might have noticed it's not the usual A2 sized cards commonly in the US. My problem with my card size is I can't seem to find A Way to emboss directly to my cardbase rather than on a different cs and adhere it to the card base. Is it even possible to emboss directly to a bigger than A2? Much love to all who responds to this cardmaking SOS.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the larger Cuttlebug embossing folders, 5 x 7:

Cuttlebug 5x7 Embossing Folders

I've ordered from this company and they are great to deal with. Good price and fast shipping.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Also, depending on your design, it can be possible to emboss two pieces and then use a strip of punched paper, or ribbon, to cover over the seam. That's what I did on this card: CCEE1213 New Home by Cook22 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers.
But I also have expanded my collection to include a couple of those larger size folders .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

I probably should mention that I already purchased some a2 folders when I bought my BigShot.It's been s few months now but haven't been able to use it as often as I'd litke to. Is it possible buggainok n Cook22 to show a tutorial on how to do this with a larger cardbase? Btw Cook22, the card is something that I have in mind but my base is too wide to fit into the BigShot. Please help some more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

You'll be restricted to putting your card through the Big Shot with the 5 1/4" side leading. I don't know which folders you have but some are definitely directional and look odd if you turn the pattern through 90 degrees.

With some folders you can emboss part of the card and then move the folder along to emboss the rest, especially if you use a ribbon or cardstock strip to disguise any slight mis-match in the lining up.

How do you cut your card? (ie where is the fold?)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Joanne. My card's folded at the 7 1/ 4" side and I want the emoss to be going down this side as well. I gue;)ss I could emboss it frm both shorter sides so it could be a short top card. I'm not giving up on my a2 folders just yet though. I'm still in awe of my BigShot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hmmm, it seems to me that whatever you do your'e going to have a mess on the back of your card since you'd have to the wrap the cardstock around the folder to let it go through the Big Shot as you can't put it through with the 7 1/4" edge leading. I can't see any way to avoid having the folder leave impressions of its edges on the cardstock that's wrapped round to the back.

I really think your cleanest solution is going to be to cut a "false front" for any card you want to emboss and then stick that onto the card base rather than trying to emboss the base itself. You'll still have to pull some tricks and choose your folders carefully if you want a piece that seems to be seamlessly embossed over the whole of that area but it should be doable, at least some of the time!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I personally prefer not to emboss the card base, because I don't particularly like the look of it from the inside - and with the thicker card that I prefer to use for my bases it doesn't emboss so well anyway. So the example I showed was just two pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I'll keep that these last 2 post in mind. There is a way to do it then jst needs tricks (and practice). Thnks so much for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to emboss on card stock and put it on my base. Also Spellbinders has some new larger m-bossabilities folders that have two different designs on each folder. They work very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had this problem too. I think that the false front idea is the best way to go. But I have achieved good results doing a larger card front with 2 techniques. First, cut the blank edges off your folders. They still work fine and the resulting crease marks from folding your cardstock around the folder are closer to your card fold.

Second, when you reposition the folder for the second pass through the machine, place the edge of the folder that is next to the previous embossed area on the very edge of your cutting plates so none of the previously embossed paper is between the plates. I even leave a small silver of the folder off the edge of the plates to be sure. Leave this edge as the last part of the sandwich to go through the machine. Then none of the previously embossed portion gets squished. With folders that do not have motifs that go right to the edge like polka dots or some stripes, I've managed to get a completely seamless piece. With dots, you can even line up the previously embossed dots with the first row of the folder. I think I see a video in my future. I got a very lovely comment on my videos from someone who said I was a natural teacher and should do more. Made my day!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Have you considered texture plates? They're usually bigger and give a more subtle emboss, but they will fit a larger card. Fiskars and Stampin' Up have texture plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

If you don't like the way a card looks on the inside from the dry embossing, you can glue down a computer piece of paper over it. It is not thick like cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sometimes if the pattern is a regular repeat pattern, then line up the edge of the impression you've already made with the embossing folder and then roll thru again. you might want to tape the card into place to make sure it doesn't shift, but it will register as the embossing is usually deep enough.

make sure tho that you hang the edge of the embossing folder over the edge of the bottom mat and line up the top plate with the bottom plate. that way you will minimize the chance of embossing a line with the edge of the folder onto your card.

you will be restricted by the size of your machine and the size of your card blank - but it is possible to do it on a separate layer even on a standard machine like the big shot (i know cos i did it a couple of weeks ago with my BShot)

eta: sorry rebecca - looks like i've just repeated everything you said!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I personally prefer not to emboss the card base, because I don't particularly like the look of it from the inside - and with the thicker card that I prefer to use for my bases it doesn't emboss so well anyway. So the example I showed was just two pieces.
Having messed up the sentiment on more than one card inside, I have taken to folding a sheet of copy paper inside with the sentiment. (put strip of glue on front or top sde on insert so you don't inhibit opening the card.).

I mention this because if you do this, it not only adds a bit of classiness to the card, but also covers the back of the embossed c/s base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah, I was going to suggest Texture Plates for your BigShot. They allow embossing on a bigger surface and because they are flat plates instead of a folder, you can lay your card open flat and just emboss the front of your card base. There are also letterpress plates and I know that there are some of those that are longer and skinnier as opposed to needing to cover your whole card front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Couture Creations makes larger folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
I like to emboss on card stock and put it on my base. Also Spellbinders has some new larger m-bossabilities folders that have two different designs on each folder. They work very nice.
Do you know if the m-bossabilities can be used with the Cuttlebug?
Reply With Quote Likes