Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best cutting machine for SVG files?

New to this. What cutting machine would you reccomend for cutting SVG files? There are so many out there and I don't know which is best bang for my buck. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I believe the most popular is either Silhouette Cameo (12" wide) or SD (6" wide), especially after Provocraft, the makers of Cricut stopped allowing the use of 3rd part software to print SVG files. I have the Cameo and love the freedom of being able to buy, download free and even designing my own (most rewarding) SVG files. The best feature on the Cameo is the Print and Cut where you print your graphic on your printer then send it through the cutter, it uses Registration Marks so what you see on the screen is what you get. So much fun to use! I should also mention it doesn't only cut paper but I haven't ventured into fabric or vinyl yet.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a Cameo too. It's definitely best for intricate cutting. My favorite machine for SVG files is my beloved BossKut Gazelle. I use it with MTC. I get perfect cuts that are intricate every time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Eclips is # 1 in my Book

I just got my Eclips machine about three weeks ago. I can't say enough about the machine. The intricate cuts are cut perfect, I love the scores the machine leaves. There is so much... picture in pictrure, the laser light that shows where the machine is going to cut and just where you want it to. (not sure if I explained that right, but learning) You can cut any sizes to the smallest and biggest. The hand held little computer (I call it) is bright and big enough to see without having to squint to see anything. There are a lot of screen features. You can also use the Ecal (the 3rd party software that Provo took to court and sued, you can't use any party software, only Provo Crafts)
It come with a 2 hour Dvd, showing you everything... I love it, gives you so many tips and tricks. And the cartridges are not expensive. You can use your computer and cut anything from pictures and fonts that you can weld to make one word instead of separate letters. And Sizzix customer service is wonderful.
I love my Eclips, and I know there are many other features to the Eclips, I'm still learning. I know that Achievers (sp?) has the Eclips in their store, and they love it. And oh, there is Tim Holtz teamed up with Sizzix and the Eclips machine as well. After all, Sizzix is the number one die cuts in my book, so how could you go wrong with the Eclips.

CHA 2012 - Tim Holtz --the eClips Now Cuts His Stamper's Anonymous Stamps + New Sizzix Dies! - YouTube <---Check out that video.

arubberstamper �
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a Cameo and love it too!

Do be aware that the Silhouette software cannot directly import SVG files though. You either have to upgrade to their designer software ($40) or use a program like Inkscape (free) to convert the files.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I've had my Cameo since Christmas and I love it. I really like the Silhouette Software I find I make a lot less mistakes because I can see everything on the virtual mat before I cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have a Cameo too. It's definitely best for intricate cutting. My favorite machine for SVG files is my beloved BossKut Gazelle. I use it with MTC. I get perfect cuts that are intricate every time.
I love my gazelle too. Only had it for a few months but it is awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Whatever machine you decide on I would recommend using it with Make The Cut! I use this software with all of my cutters because it's that easy to use. If you go to Paperthreads website there is a comparison chart on cutters. What cutter you buy would depend on your needs and budget. Also, maybe go to the MTC website and forum it might help.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
Whatever machine you decide on I would recommend using it with Make The Cut! I use this software with all of my cutters because it's that easy to use. If you go to Paperthreads website there is a comparison chart on cutters. What cutter you buy would depend on your needs and budget. Also, maybe go to the MTC website and forum it might help.
I second this. Make the Cut is an awesome software and easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Those that have a BossKut Gazelle, can it be used with a mac??

Is there software that comes with BossKut Gazelle and if so, is it hard to learn?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

I read the comparison chart that was recommended to look at and the KNK Zing and BossKut Gazelle look to be similar in features.

Has anyone worked with the Zing or with both and tell their experience with either or compared to one another?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm leaning towards the Cameo or the Eclips when my Cricut eventually dies. I've lusted over the Black Cat Cougar but that one will definitely be out of my price range. For software, I preferred Sure Cuts A Lot over Make the Cut but I can't recall what exactly made me pick one over the other. They were both very similar when I downloaded the trial versions and gave them a spin before I picked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I too am interested in the Eclips! I guess the software will help me decide which to go with! That's a good idea, lharnish---I need to download the trial versions and see if I can do either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

If you are an advanced digital cutter user, the Gazelle might be for you. They have their own software (Funtime), which I found a bit rough and not user friendly. I had an older Gazelle that I was not very happy with.
I have since purchased a Cameo and use it much more often, with fantastic results. I think it is easier for a beginner to learn to use. Their software is very nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowcherriosView Post
Those that have a BossKut Gazelle, can it be used with a mac??

Is there software that comes with BossKut Gazelle and if so, is it hard to learn?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the original Silhouette. I would LOVE to have a Silhouette Cameo! I have a friend who has one and it's a wonderful machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I love my Cameo! Its really amazing and I have been using it a lot since I got it this past thanksgiving!

I converted my silhouette studio to designer edition and it was totally worth it. I can now buy and cut any SVGs as well as make my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by arubberstamperView Post
I just got my Eclips machine about three weeks ago. I can't say enough about the machine. The intricate cuts are cut perfect, I love the scores the machine leaves. There is so much... picture in pictrure, the laser light that shows where the machine is going to cut and just where you want it to. (not sure if I explained that right, but learning) You can cut any sizes to the smallest and biggest. The hand held little computer (I call it) is bright and big enough to see without having to squint to see anything. There are a lot of screen features. I love my Eclips, and I know there are many other features to the Eclips, I'm still learning. I know that Achievers (sp?) has the Eclips in their store, and they love it. And oh, there is Tim Holtz teamed up with Sizzix and the Eclips machine as well. After all, Sizzix is the number one die cuts in my book, so how could you go wrong with the Eclips.
DITTO to EVERYTHING you say!!!

I just love my Eclips machine, it's just so simple to use and always a perfect cut, even for the tiniest intricate designs, and on the heaviest of cardstock, is just amazing! The mats and blades etc are so cheap to buy too.
I couldn't recommend it enough.

I spent many months researching another cutting machine as I felt strongly about not wanting to use my cr!cut anymore after the lawsuit and I'm so happy with my choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really a electronic cutter junkie (my sickness) and like all my cutters, but don't have a Gazelle. The Zing is a sturdy machine and has more pressure for cutting (I've read that the eclips has comparable cutting pressure). Zing doesn't come with a click holder ...but you can subsitute other holders in it. Of all my machines, I gravitate to my Zing the most.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts

my sister is giving me her silhouette.

I have my Cricut, love it. But I really want to enjoy the SVG files MDS has too! SO I am so excited.

No clue how or what I need to do, never even gave any of this a thought.

Someone please tell me step by step, like you would a 10 year old, how do use this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

My Silhouette Cameo just arrived in the mail today. Got a really great deal for it from Massdrop.com but it was a long time waiting for it to make its way all the way across the USA and then up to Nova Scotia, Canada. I can't wait to get home from work and start playing with my new toy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts

Thank you Gale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Silhouette Portrait with the Designer Edition software it makes converting SVG's super easy , I used to use Inkscape and it works but it's a pain, this is SO much easier!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I highly recommend the Silhouette. I have the original one and it is awesome! I'm sure the Cameo and other newer ones are even better. I actually really wish I never got into Cricut at all and had gone with the Silhouette before all that. I would have saved so much money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm loving the quality of the test cuts I did on the Silhouette Cameo. I'm having a bit of a hard time finding how to do things in the DE software but that's because I'm more used to SCAL2. I know it seems easier in SCAL2 because that's what I learned first. I can't wait to try more of the features as I get a better feel for the machine and the software. I can't believe how much better the cuts are as compared to my Cricut. It is day and night and they really can't even be considered in the same light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Question SVG Files and Cricut products

Am I correct from what I am reading here that you cannot cut SVG files with any Cricut product ( not that I know what an SVG file is or how to use it)? SU had something on the blog you access from the home page from one of their designers about using SVG files with MDS. Am I to assume that that is not possible for us who have Cricut products?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

My question is this - I already have SCAL 2 which I use on my Cricut Expression but the Expression is starting to give me some problems, is it possible for me to use the SCAL 2 that I already have with any of the other cutting machines and if so which one? I don't want to have to buy a new machine and a new cutting program if I can use what I already have. I have several SVGs downloaded in my computer some of which were bought and some free that I want to keep and use if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Likes