View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1379
nickelini
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post

I remember times when I've felt overwhelmed by breathtaking wonder and awe (seeing Paris for the first time). Probably that is the closest thing ever that I've felt to having a spiritual experience. Walking amongst French-speaking crowds, hearing the beautiful language just tripping and falling over me - that beautiful, wondrous, ethereal language which MUST have been invented by angels whose business is pure beauty for the sake of beauty... the phrase "a balm for my soul" came to mind (even though I also don't know what a "soul" is). Hearing the beautiful words and phrases spoken by strangers to each other expressing perfectly common things - having those words and phrases slide in through my ears and flow through my veins... I've often wondered if the resulting magic of that is what Christians mean when they say they have "Jesus living in their hearts" - if it feels like magic coursing through their body. So for me it would be the French language (spoken by NATIVE French speakers from France) instead of Jesus.
\\

Well, that reminds me of feelings I've felt in my travels. The most outstanding example is all my life I wanted to live in the English countryside, and when I finally got there on my 2nd trip to England when I was 46, I stood and cried. My kids and husband (who grew up with summers in Tuscany) thought I was joking. But I was just overwhelmed by finally making it there and it was so beautifully like everything I'd ever dreamed.

I'd call it spiritual.

View My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!