Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another QSs about tile coaster- has to be sealed

I have read zillions of questions and answered in the tile coaster sub forum. i may have missed the info about sealing the tiles.So sorry if I may repeat the any of the same question.

This is going to be my first attempt to make tile coaster. So bear with me..

The problem is, I have to seal it. Many people in this forum said that they dont want to seal it because it is defeating the purpose to have absorbent coaster.But here in Australia, people usually use coaster for hot drink, tea or coffee. They are tea and coffee drinker. I dont want the coaster to get smudged from tea or coffee. Coaster is used to protect coffee table or dining table or table cloth ruin because of the coffee or tea stain or from the heat of hot drinks. So far, I only come accross the spray on sealant information in this website. In the tile shop here, they sell spray on sealant, the brand is Sure Seal, but the seller said it will not stay sealed, if you wipe it on the regular basis. There is another product That come in a gallon size, the brand is Dry Treat.

Does anyone deliberately seal their tile coaster for the same purpose that I am going to use? If so, what brand? Whats the process, to bake or not to bake ? I am planning to use stazon jet black and colour it in. In some other discussion, people are complaining that the sealant actually make the color or stamp on the tiles bleed or smudges. What is your experience with coloring tiles, what are you using? Especially using non spray sealant.

Thanks..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have made the coasters using Stazon black ink and colored with Sharpie markers. I did not seal mine or bake them. They have held up to both hot and cold drinks.

I did a lot of research and read a lot like you did before I made mine. Most people did not heat set, or apply any kind of sealer. If you use the Stazon ink that seems to make the coasters waterproof and also heat proof.

Some folks did have problems with the color red when they colored and stamped, even with Stazon. The red color seemed to bleed no matter what they did.

It reminded me of doing laundry. Something red will always seem to fade in the wash. Red is just a difficult color, I guess. My solution was not to use red on my coasters, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Hi Buggainok, how about tea and coffee stain?
I just dont want to sell something that they will be disappointed with after a couple of use. You know what I mean... As this will be my first market stall, I dont want people to have a bad exerience with my things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndomumView Post
Hi Buggainok, how about tea and coffee stain?
I just dont want to sell something that they will be disappointed with after a couple of use. You know what I mean... As this will be my first market stall, I dont want people to have a bad exerience with my things.
Indomum, I have the same situation. A couple Christmases ago I used Mod Podge outdoor forumula. It is water resistant (so spilled coffee or tea won't penetrate it), and even though the information doesn't say this, it does do well under the heat of the hot cups. My mother has been using hers almost everyday and they still look like new. Another product I found that you could try is a clear glass paint by Delta products (under the PermEnamel brand). Its a clear coating that you can paint on glass and ceramic. Once cured it is water proof and heat resistant. I've used it to seal stamped images on coffee mugs, so this might be a good product to use for your coasters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Indomum, I have the same situation. A couple Christmases ago I used Mod Podge outdoor forumula. It is water resistant (so spilled coffee or tea won't penetrate it), and even though the information doesn't say this, it does do well under the heat of the hot cups. My mother has been using hers almost everyday and they still look like new. Another product I found that you could try is a clear glass paint by Delta products (under the PermEnamel brand). Its a clear coating that you can paint on glass and ceramic. Once cured it is water proof and heat resistant. I've used it to seal stamped images on coffee mugs, so this might be a good product to use for your coasters.
Thanks for the info, Cat. I didn't have an answer because I haven't put any coating on mine. I did limited testing on the ones I sold at a craft fair, but that was a year or so ago, and have no way of knowing how they held up.

I don't use them in my own home, because I have small grandchildren, and the tiles are heavy and not suitable for little kids to play with and "fling" around, lol. I'll only use chipboard coasters until they get older and more civilized.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Cat Woman for the info. However I read somewhere in this website that mod podge on tile coaster don't go well with cold water. It becomes sticky, if my memory serves me correctly. Does your mother ever complain about your coaster with a glass of cold water?

How do you 'cure' the clear glass pain by Delta product? Where do you find it? I. The craft shop or home depot kind of shop?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Another question Cat Woman, do you bake your tiles after you stamp it before you put mod podge or clear glass paint? Does mod podge or Delta blees the paint? Are you using Stazon for the image?

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

The Outdoor formula Mod Podge works with cold water too (think rain is usually kind of cold...) and it hasn't turned cloudy or mirky from what I can see of the one's I made. The Delta product can be found at craft stores. I haven't had any problems with either product smearing or bleeding as long as its completely dry when I coated it. The Delta sealer is air dry cured for 10 days. You can get ones (different brand/manufacturer) that are heat cured - bake in the oven - but I haven't tried one of those type yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much for the info Cat Woman..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I have made sets of these in several themes using Staz On in all the colors. The only way they hold up is to spray them with a coat of clear spray paint (sealer). Spray from a good distance and use a light coat or it will make your image run, but done correctly it will hold up even when a glass that is full of melting ice is left on it. I was very happy with the duability of it. I did background snowflakes and a Chrismas word in the center using masking, sheet music in the background with a fancy bird in the middle, red flower background with scripture quotes in the center, etc. The receivers were mostly people I see all the time and they told me they have held up really well for them too. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

I did a lot of research and read a lot like you did before I made mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I made tile coasters using Staz-On ink about 3 years ago for Christmas gifts. I also made matching trivets. Since I "gifted" myself with a set, I can tell you they are still holding up very well.
I did not seal them at all. After I had stamped them and the ink had dried, I baked them at 250 degrees F for about 30 min.
We set cold drinks, hot drinks, hot pans, cold dishes from fridge and nothing has smuded the ink. I also have had coffee spilled on them along with different foods on the trivets. No stains. To clean them, I just wipe them with a damp soft cloth.

Have fun, however you decide to make them. They always turn out so cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Loretia, all along I thought the tea and coffee will stain the unsealed tiles. I just dont want to disappoint my customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

My questions is if you seal them are they still porous or will the water just run right off. I live in a very humid climate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrycritterView Post
My questions is if you seal them are they still porous or will the water just run right off. I live in a very humid climate.
I really doubt that they will still be porous after sealing. I think if you use a solvent or alcohol ink on a porous tile and heat set the ink, they should hold up fairly well to condensation on them. I think they would stain though if its from spilled drinks with any colour - like iced tea or soda...
Reply With Quote Likes