Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PTI cardstock blade setting for Silhouette Cameo?

Hi all

I got my new Silhouette Cameo this weekend and was all excited about it! But then I tried cutting a design on my Papertrey Ink cardstock and it was a mess. The cuts just weren't deep enough all the way through.

My question is what blade setting should I use while cutting the cardstock? The "heavy cardstock" paper selection in Silhouette Studio gives me setting of 3 but that is only for cardstock upto 80 lb. PTI is 110 lb I believe.

I am afraid of changing the setting to 4 for fear of cutting through my mat. Anyone tried this before and can help me?

Thanks!
-Chaitali
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I set my machine to heavy card stock (80 lb.) but change the blade to 5. It does leave marks on the mat but does not cut through, even when I use these setting with a double cut. I'm very new to the Cameo - not an expert - but this is working for me. Love this machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

THANK YOU so much!! That worked beautifully!

I love the machine too! I was afraid I'd have to only use it for patterned paper and such if it couldn't cut PTI but now its just become my primary cutting machine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I found the same thing with SU cardstock. Had to set at 4 or 5. But ---I am having a problem with the Print and Cut feature. I found a tutorial on the blog on how to do it and wrote it down step by step --and followed it but the Cameo is not recognizing the marks ---and at some times the printer is printing the marks but not the design. One time it works and the next time it does not. Anyone have the same problem ---or any steps to get this done?? Thanks - in advance!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Ooh, thanks for this! I just got my S.C. yesterday and was very disappointed when it didn't cut PTI cardstock. I will try these settings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

This is great info I will try what was suggested I got mine yesterday and was so excited about trying it our today and even though everything is set up, the machine isn't cutting right through the cardstock...I'm using Bazzill which is soft and textured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Try a few more settings, but it sounds like you may have one of the defective blades. Contact Silhouette customer service and they will send you a replacement blade. Trust me, a new blade will make all the difference. I tried to find a setting that worked for me, but once I got a replacement blade it cut like butter, on the settings it was supposed to! Huge difference. Seriously, contact customer support and let them know what it's doing, they'll make it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously ObsessedView Post
I found the same thing with SU cardstock. Had to set at 4 or 5. But ---I am having a problem with the Print and Cut feature. I found a tutorial on the blog on how to do it and wrote it down step by step --and followed it but the Cameo is not recognizing the marks ---and at some times the printer is printing the marks but not the design. One time it works and the next time it does not. Anyone have the same problem ---or any steps to get this done?? Thanks - in advance!!
The first time I did a print and cut it didn't recognize the marks either, but then I realized that I had sent it to print with the paper size set to 12x12 when my paper was 8x11 ... Not sure if that would fix it, but since then I always change my paper to 8x11 then do my design and it's worked perfectly ever since! I do not change my margins or the size of my registration marks because that seems to throw it off . . . And you can print and cut in the area that appears to be the "no cut" area, I just try to keep things away from the registration marks. I really hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I havent tried the print and cut yet seeing my cutter doesn't seem to be cutting all the way through some carstock...I'm loving the machine but it looks like they will have to get the kinks out the print and cut and blade are concerned...I don't think the blade in my machine goes down far enough for it to cut clean...I'm getting a lot of fuzzy edges and rips from a detailed image...

I just called Silhouette explaining my trouble with the blade and they are going to send me a new one...I'm just curious to know just how many blade is it gunno take for it cut out as clean as they say its suppose...*sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I heard there was a bad batch of blades, sounds like you got one of them. A new one should solve all your problems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

For figuring out blade & thickness settings, "Test Cut" is your friend. It cuts a little (1/2") square with a triangle inside. Start with something you think will be too light (2,10) and adjust the thickness by 10 until it cuts cleanly or you reach 30 thickness. Then start over at blade depth 3. Repeat until it cuts cleanly but barely scratches the mat.

If you adjust the blade depth higher, always be sure to lower the thickness.

You can move the cut head over by using the arrows on the screen, so you can end up with a little row of test cuts at the edge of the paper until you find a setting that works.

Personally, I think the blade and thickness are way too adjustable. There's too many choices and too much opportunity to get things wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Princessmom1, Have you cut with SU cardstock? If so, what are the settings you use? Thanks!

I just got my Cameo and am having difficulty getting clean cuts using the blade position 3, 33 thickness and 2 slow. I moved it to 4 and it was better, but still not perfect.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I pretty much only use SU cardstock. That is about all that I have used in the Cameo. I have to have my blade on 4 and sometimes 5 if the design is intricate. It works great set like that for me. I tried doing the test cut just once ----it cut off of my cardstock and I was afraid it was going to cut thru the cutting mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Try slowing the blade speed when you are cutting very small intricate designs, or double cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

ooo thanks for the tip. I'm stalking my tracking order... errr waiting for mine to get here (it's only 2 cities away lol). I can't wait to get using it and this will help with the cardstock I'm using. Thanks so much!!!

Dee =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mic5000View Post
Princessmom1, Have you cut with SU cardstock? If so, what are the settings you use? Thanks!

I just got my Cameo and am having difficulty getting clean cuts using the blade position 3, 33 thickness and 2 slow. I moved it to 4 and it was better, but still not perfect.
Unfortunately, no one can tell you what blade setting to use as there seems to be a lot of variance between blades. 3,20 might work well for someone, and 4,30 be needed by someone else.

There was also a response by the manufacturer over on UK Scrappers that suggested a higher blade setting with a lower pressure is better for detailed cuts. So if you normally cut something on 3,25 and it's being troublesome, try 4,15.

Also, lower "thickness" - really pressure - is better. "Thickness" is poorly named; it is really the force used to push down blade. So if you are using max "thickness" you are smashing the blade housing down on the paper as hard as it can. Not good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Okay - to make sure I am understanding this right ---mine was preset for 3-33 ---so to do intricate designs it is better to lower it below 33? Am I understanding what you mean correctly? But then leaving it on the 4 that I normally have to cut on? Thanks - in advance - for all the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Okay - to make sure I am understanding this right ---mine was preset for 3-33 ---so to do intricate designs it is better to lower it below 33? Am I understanding what you mean correctly? But then leaving it on the 4 that I normally have to cut on? Thanks - in advance - for all the help!
Yes, it is better to use lower thickness than 33. If you are normally using thickness 33 to get clean cuts, I'd recommend increasing your blade depth and lowering the thickness to 10 or 15 to start.

Remember, thickness is really pressure. It's how hard the Cameo is going to push down the blade. If you're using 33 all the time, you're really straining your machine and smooshing what you're cutting.

- Jasen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Oh - Okay - Thanks! I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Oh - Okay - Thanks! I appreciate your help!
I appreciate all this info too! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question on the blade settings for not only PTI, but Bazzill Smoothie as well. My Cameo came last week and I've been cutting like crazy. I'm doing pretty good with things that don't need intricate cuts (not with PTI, I can't get that to work at all) but when trying to cut things like blades of grass, the points are always "injured". I've tried all sorts of thickness and blade settings and speeds, single cuts and double cuts. No matter what I do, it still leaves the tips scruffy in most places.

I already called the company and asked them to send me a new blade. I don't know if that's the problem or not. I've never seen anyone mention what exactly was happening with those bad blades.

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I just bought a Scotch ATG and am a leftie! Got it out of the box and was soooo disappointed. The way the tape rollers are attached, you cannot see the tape rolling to the paper. Watched a YouTube video (would you believe) that gave hints for lefties and I am using it . . . slowly. Do you know if there is a Scotch ATG designed for lefties? Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Oh gosh . . . I was in the Forum on the ATG??? What did I do wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdieluverView Post
I have a question on the blade settings for not only PTI, but Bazzill Smoothie as well. My Cameo came last week and I've been cutting like crazy. I'm doing pretty good with things that don't need intricate cuts (not with PTI, I can't get that to work at all) but when trying to cut things like blades of grass, the points are always "injured". I've tried all sorts of thickness and blade settings and speeds, single cuts and double cuts. No matter what I do, it still leaves the tips scruffy in most places.

I already called the company and asked them to send me a new blade. I don't know if that's the problem or not. I've never seen anyone mention what exactly was happening with those bad blades.

Terry
Terry, try this out -- take the blade out of the holder and turn it so that the point is facing you. Check if there are bits of leftover cardstock wedged inside it. If yes you will need to clean it with tweezers or gently blowing on it or even using a hair dryer.

The bits can obstruct the blade point and it won't give a clean cut. If you use a fibrous cardstock that leaves bits behind on the mat then thats not good for the Cameo blade because those bits can get stuck in the blade holder.

For PTI blade setting 5 with speed 33 works for me as recommended by someone for my original post. I wouldn't recommend cutting it often though. Its a heavy cardstock for the Cameo to cut and can wear down the blade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

That is the setting I use for SU Cardstock also. And ---I also have trouble cutting grass. Maybe it is just the design that is hard to cut??? Not sure. I still use the 5 but have cut the speed down --and that has helped with some cuts. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I started a list of settings here -- Lets make a list -- Cameo Blade/Speed/Thickness settings for different cardstocks by creativec at Splitcoaststampers

Please contribute if you use one of the cardstocks not in the list in the very first post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Hi, everyone! There ARE solutions to your Silhouette Cameo problems! I am a passionate paper-crafter and a research junkie. Based on the research I have done over the past six months and several conversations with the Silhouette America support team, I have written several articles about Silhouette Cameo problems/solutions on my blog Globug Ideas www.globugideas.com. Here are a few tips that might help:
--Always start by using the default settings in the Silhouette Studio software--AND--check that your blade is physically at the right setting.
-- When the Silhouette Cameo first came on the market, the blades were defective. They were set at the wrong angle and could not make clean cuts. New blades were manufactured and were available as of February 2012. That said, if your Cameo never made clean cuts, you likely got one of the defective blades. CALL Silhouette America support and explain your problem. I had two defective blades before I got one that worked.
--Silhouette America told me that we should rarely have to use a cutting level higher than three (unless you are using a very thick cardstock). When you set the blade level too high, the tip of the blade breaks off and will no longer cut. Time for a new blade!
--Don't worry too much about scratching your mat--it will happen, and that's normal. If you are cutting through your mat, then your blade is set too high and it will break.
--You can find a lot more information on my blog, Globug Ideas www.globugideas.com. My goal is to help as many SC user as possible. The Cameo is a fantastic machine. The more we know about it, the more we love it!! I hope this helps! Globug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloria SauveView Post
Hi, everyone! There ARE solutions to your Silhouette Cameo problems! I am a passionate paper-crafter and a research junkie. Based on the research I have done over the past six months and several conversations with the Silhouette America support team, I have written several articles about Silhouette Cameo problems/solutions on my blog Globug Ideas www.globugideas.com. Here are a few tips that might help:
--Always start by using the default settings in the Silhouette Studio software--AND--check that your blade is physically at the right setting.
-- When the Silhouette Cameo first came on the market, the blades were defective. They were set at the wrong angle and could not make clean cuts. New blades were manufactured and were available as of February 2012. That said, if your Cameo never made clean cuts, you likely got one of the defective blades. CALL Silhouette America support and explain your problem. I had two defective blades before I got one that worked.
--Silhouette America told me that we should rarely have to use a cutting level higher than three (unless you are using a very thick cardstock). When you set the blade level too high, the tip of the blade breaks off and will no longer cut. Time for a new blade!
--Don't worry too much about scratching your mat--it will happen, and that's normal. If you are cutting through your mat, then your blade is set too high and it will break.
--You can find a lot more information on my blog, Globug Ideas www.globugideas.com. My goal is to help as many SC user as possible. The Cameo is a fantastic machine. The more we know about it, the more we love it!! I hope this helps! Globug
This is not true for the cardstocks I use. I rarely get a clean cut with using blade setting 3 for Neenah Classic Crest Solar White #80 and other cardstock I use are much heavier than that like PTI. My blade setting for all the ones I'm using has been 5 and I get clean cuts with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I also called Silhoutte after reading posts about should not have to have the setting more than at 3. I use SU cardstock ---and also have used some white from Staples -which I just found out is 110 and I won't buy that again ---but I always have to have my setting on 5 even for SU. I got my machine in November. I have used 2 blades and it was the same with both of them. I have ordered 2 new ones so will see. But it does work good on 5.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I have one more question ---what brand of 80# white cardstock do you buy and where do you get it? I was told not to go higher than 80# cardstock with the Cameo ---and I cannot find a brighter white. Any one have any ideas for me?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I have been cutting Wausau Exact Index 110# white cardstock in my Cameo on 3 blade setting and it cuts perfectly every time even intricate lace cuts. (on a slow speed). I bought this paper in a 250 sheet pkg at Michaels. It's not as heavy as you would suppose, but is sturdy enough for card bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Okay --I will look for that. But --I have never been able to cut on a 3. Always on a 5 with SU. Some others have said the same thing. My question ---what do you set yours at for speed ---you said slow ---what number do you use? And is that white a bright white? More like what SU is? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by IriseyesView Post
I have been cutting Wausau Exact Index 110# white cardstock in my Cameo on 3 blade setting and it cuts perfectly every time even intricate lace cuts. (on a slow speed). I bought this paper in a 250 sheet pkg at Michaels. It's not as heavy as you would suppose, but is sturdy enough for card bases.
IrisEyes, please give your setting for this cardstock. I will add it to the list I am compiling here -- Forums at Splitcoaststampers. Will be useful for others searching for Cameo settings

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had nothing but frustration with cut settings for my Cameo. For me the default settings seem to be only a starting point for getting the blade & thickness to the right settings. I have been fiddling with different types/brands of cardstock & making sample cuts, then marking the settings on the sample.

I have to set my blade at least one number higher than recommened by the default settings. This is my first blade so I have no idea if it's because I have a faulty blade or if this is normal.

The comment about the variance in blades makes me wonder if when I need to start using a new blade, the settings I have figured out will need to be adjusted.

Here is a very helpful Blade Setting Video
It shows the blade for the Zing, but the tests for blade depth setting apply to the Cameo blades also.
1. Visual check-hold cardstock up next to blade to make sure blade doesn't stick out too far beyond the thickness of the cardstock or it will cut into your mat
2. You can also poke the blade through the cardstock to see how far beyond the thickness of cardstock it protrudes
3. Hold blade & cut through a folded piece of cardstock (double thickness)-only the top layer should be cut-there should not even be scoring on the lower layer.
Reply With Quote Likes