Just an update from my post before Christmas. I got the update card, but the machine wouldn't update at all. After of nearly a week of contacting MM via telephone or email, I finally heard back. (found out they only have 1 person in MM- if you can get a hold of her she's great. It was actually someone in accounting that finally answered the CS line and got the ball rolling, I was very grateful. Also for some reason, MM states they've sent me emails and I've never received a single one of them. weird.)
I sent my machine back for a replacement (it was still under warantee) and got it back here in Canada today. It was received in Utah on the 27th of Jan, so it didn't take all that long.
The only thing I'm not happy about is that MM didn't clarify on the customs form that this was a replacement, not a purchase, and I had to pay Duty.
I've lived without the Slice for 3 months waiting for my issue to be resolved. There were sometimes that I missed it, but overall, I did just fine without it. I'm worried it will breakdown again outside of the warantee period (only have a few months left) and I really don't want to pay another round of shipping and duty. Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to sell it, or keep it.
Ciao for now,