View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #292
fmtinsley
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
My DGD in CA is a dancer. She's Freshman in HS this year, but has been dancing since she was a toddler. She takes classes just about every day and for the last 3 years has 2 recitals each year - one in the Summer and they started putting on The Nutcracker 3 years ago. She wants to go "away" for college later. Which college near you has that good dance program? What makes it good?
She sounds like my daughter. Emily has been dancing for 12 years and is at the studio about 20hrs/week. That includes classes, team rehearsals and work study. OKU has a program geared for the entertainment industry but the school near us, Kennesaw State University, has a good one also. Several schools have dance majors but a lot of them concentrate on ballet which Emily doesn't want to focus on. she prefers jazz and modern. Kennesaw has that and I think that's the program which the director requires the students to audition for various performances so they gain that audition experience. That's one thing to look at, does the program prepare the student for the dancing world. Emily's ultimate goal is to dance on Broadway.

Has your DGD looked at ULV (Las Vegas)? One of the instructors at our studio graduated from there. Good luck to your DGD.