Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to use a Stamp positioner by 'Mostly Animals'

Hi,
I'm in Australia, and have only just registered Some time ago I bought a used stamp positioner by Mostly Animals, but can't work out how to use it. I've since bought a 'stamp a ma jig' also, but would still like to know how to use the MA one, so I can possibly help out someone else with it. I think perhaps MA is now Stampa Rosa as I saw the positioner on ebay with that brand name on it now.

Can anyone help please?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi, welcome to Splitcoast!

I've never seen a stamp positioner that works in a very different way than the stamp a ma jig does - basically a right angle solid guide and a clear positioning sheet that snugs up into that angle. Is there something very different about the MA one?

Can you show us a picture of it maybe? I tried a Google search and can find a couple of mentions of people having used it to make a project but no pictures of the positioner itself.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just enlarged the picture & read the instructions. It sounds like you use it the same way as a stamp a ma jig. Here is a picture, it's an L shaped tool.

Stampa Rosa's Two n' One Perfect Stamp Positioner !! | eBay

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Well done on tracking down a pic, Rita! It looks very much like the PSX one that Susan uses in this tutorial she posted recently on her blog. The principle is exactly the same as the Stamp a ma Jig but you might find it helpful to see one that looks the same as the MA one in action, Ninnova.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Both those companies have gone out of business, but I'd agree that the acrylic positioner would work in the same way as a Stamp-a-ma-jig. This is one tutorial I'm aware of:
smARTworks Jig Tutorial
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Default How to use a Stamp positioner by 'Mostly Animals' or 'Stampa Rosa'

Thank you so much for your reply!! I do have the stamp a ma jig and can use it. The other one I have a problem with is by MA and is a different type altogether, with a hinged right angle arm and a graph base. One I saw on ebay said you remove the arm, but it's on hinges. Perhaps they mean open the arm? I'm not sure how to send a photo as this is my first ever time doing this
Again, I appreciate any help.
Thanks again,
Ninnova
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you Rita - that is the same one I read from on ebay. It is still confusing to me - I must be a bit slow Where it says remove the arm? The stamp a ma jig uses the sheet of acrylic to stamp on - but what do you use to stamp on with this I wonder?
So sorry if I'm a bit of a dill

Again, thank you ALL for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You can attach a picture to a post by clicking on "Go Advanced" rather than using the quick reply box at the bottom of the page. Then scroll down and you'll see a button that says "Manage attachments". Click on that and then choose the picture to upload from your computer and finally click "upload".

I'm not understanding what is hinged so a pic or two would be useful! (although somebody might well cotton on faster than me and answer your query without!)

The thing they refer to as the "plexi guide" in the instructions is what you stamp on - the equivalent of the acrylic sheet with the SAMJ. Do you have that with yours? If it's missing, any piece of sturdy clear plastic will do the job for you (try it with your SAMJ sheet, for example).

ETA - keep reading as I had two more thoughts after making this post!...

My blog

Last edited by Angelnorth; 02-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: rambling over several posts - trying to save Ninnova trying to deal with one at a time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ah - light bulb moment on the "remove" wording! It basically means that to use it in exactly the way you'd use a SAMJ, you take the right angled piece off the base (what they call the "platen" and I assume has the gridded lines etched on it), put the base to one side and ignore it! Now just use your right angled piece and clear sheet as if you were using the SAMJ that you already know how to use.

The platen appears to be useful only if you want to stamp over an existing image as it allows you remove your paper, do your colouring and then reposition the arm in exactly the place you had it to begin with because you're using the pins. Sorry, that's hard to explain! Try getting to grips with the basic operation and then we can try again with this bit if need be!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

...and a final thought!

Are those "hinges" not really hinges at all but the things the instructions are referring to as pins? Can you just remove them? (or lift the arm off them or however it's slotted together - gosh, isn't it frustrating not to be able to pick something up and twirl it around to figure out how it's constructed?!)

Bed time here on this side of the Pond - your Australian day will start well before mine but I'll check back tomorrow to see if you've made any progress with the puzzle!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Smile How to use a Stamp positioner by 'Mostly Animals'

[QUOTE=Angelnorth;19168992]...and a final thought!

Are those "hinges" not really hinges at all but the things the instructions are referring to as pins? Can you just remove them? (or lift the arm off them or however it's slotted together - gosh, isn't it frustrating not to be able to pick something up and twirl it around to figure out how it's constructed?!)

Bed time here on this side of the Pond - your Australian day will start well before mine but I'll check back tomorrow to see if you've made any progress with the puzzle![

Angelnorth, I hope that on YOUR tomorrow this pic I just took will help. The hinges are real hinges and are not meant to be removed. I now think that when I bought this (not new - but used) there was an acrylic? sheet missing like the SAMJ The one on ebay doesn't have any extra sheet either - so that part is a mystery, as it looks as though it would be complete, seeing as it has the instruction sheet with it.

I want to thank you again for your time and help with my problem - I really appreciate it.

Ninnova/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
How to use a Stamp positioner by 'Mostly Animals'-100_0895.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hmmm, that does look like a substantial hinge! The only way I can see that you could "remove" the arm would be to take out the screws that go in to it but that would be a real drag if you had to do it every time you wanted to use it without the platen. Mind you, the more I look at those instructions for "intensifying an image" the less I'm convinced it's a good approach - simply using a stamp positioner in the usual way gives you the same option and more freedom on placement as far as I can see.

I hate to be defeated by gadgets but I think I'm going to have to admit defeat here and say that if all else fails and nobody pops up with experience of using one and a brilliant answer, I guess I would remove the L shape by taking out the screws, grab myself a piece of clear plastic, ignore the platen and just use it like a SAMJ! Sorry not to have come up with the magic answer for you.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really is a strange contraption. I have no clue either. I never saw this one before. Well maybe there is someone out there that can help you, good luck.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default How to use a Stamp positioner by 'Mostly Animals'

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Hmmm, that does look like a substantial hinge! The only way I can see that you could "remove" the arm would be to take out the screws that go in to it but that would be a real drag if you had to do it every time you wanted to use it without the platen. Mind you, the more I look at those instructions for "intensifying an image" the less I'm convinced it's a good approach - simply using a stamp positioner in the usual way gives you the same option and more freedom on placement as far as I can see.

I hate to be defeated by gadgets but I think I'm going to have to admit defeat here and say that if all else fails and nobody pops up with experience of using one and a brilliant answer, I guess I would remove the L shape by taking out the screws, grab myself a piece of clear plastic, ignore the platen and just use it like a SAMJ! Sorry not to have come up with the magic answer for you.

Thanks so much Joanne and Rita, and anyone else who tried to help me! I don't feel quite so silly now at least for asking I will have a play when I get time and will let you know if I figure out any more about it.

Thanks also for the nice welcome to Splitcoast! I wish I could find more time to visit, but hopefully in the future that will happen.

Cheers,
Di

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You're welcome, Di! Sorry you didn't get the answer (although there's still hope - threads occasionally resurface at SCS long after they were started).

If you do find time to drop in more, you'll find SCSers are a great resource for information, inspiration and a willingness to help with just about any stamping-related question (even if we don't always manage to come up with the answer!).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I actually have a video with that shows how to use it. I hadn't watched it in years so last night I looked at it again.

One of it's main functions is to overstamp images.
You take a piece of cardstock (she used A2 cardfronts) and place on the Stamp-o-Graph with the hinge open and use removeable tape on two corners to secure the paper. Then close the hinge.

Then she took a detailed image (with shadows stippled - she used Mostly Animals stamps which are very detailed) and stamped on the cardstock with a very light colored ink (she used light pink). She lined up the stamp in the upper left corner and left edge of the hinge (just like a regular positioner.) Then she colored the image with Tombow markers - dark in the stippled areas, medium color then a light color. She did not do any blending and frankly it looked a mess. :-) Then comes the WOW factor. (You can also use the same process for colored pencils but she did not show it.) She inked the image in black and stamped over the coloring. The stamp goes in the exact same place so even if the black is not as dark as you like then you can stamp again. No double images.

Then, after she cleaned her stamp, she used embossing ink and stamped again. Removed the paper and sprinkled clear embossing power (don't sprinkle EP on the SOG of heat emboss it will melt the mylar layer ) and she had a gorgeous embossed image.

She also used it with bold images. She colored the bold image (flowers in a round solid pot) with Tombow markers and stamped. A couple areas weren't completely stamped so she just reinked and stamped again. Then she showed selective coloring the same image because when you color with markers there is sometimes bleeding between the colors. She colored the ones that weren't next to each other stamped then colored the remaining ares and stamped - no bleeding. Excellent image. Oh, then she embossed the whole image in clear.

She also showed stamping on fabric. She used contact paper she cut just under the width of the footpads on the bottom of the SOG. She cut the length that would go around the entire SOG once with about a 3" or 4" overlap. With the sticky side up she wrapped the entire SOG and put the seam on the bottom. When the front loses it stickiness you can then move the contact paper up where it is sticky again. Then she used a piece of muslin and did the same process. (No embossing of course. :-))

She also sponged an image which looks fantastic! One of my favorite things.
Well, I hope this helps. I'm not the best at explaining things.It is a neat tool. I might just have to get it out today. I haven't used it in years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Good Morning !

This looks like a neat thing to have. Just have to figure it out. The hinge is a permanent thing so you don't loose it on your desk! That never happens to you does it? It's meant to stay put.

If you need extra acrylic sheets or plastic sheets, I often save them from packages or gifts that you receive. Look for some nice flat pieces and soak the paper off of them. They are free!;)

If you use the sheets and stamp your image on with dark stazon ink you can reuse it later. I put them in the same container/ holder as the stamp for ones that are used often.
If you are just using a stamp occassionally you can just use regular ink and then wipe or wash the image off when you are done with it.

oh, another tip! Oh, yes I have put a little tiny sticker or a permanant mark on my acrylic and plastic sheets so they don't disappear on my desk too!

Keep practising with your SMJ & SOG with scrap paper and you'll figure out how to use it. It will make stamping mulitples or any designs so much easier! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes