Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alphabet Dies

I just got my BigKick yesterday. The main reason I got it is to cut felt with it. I really need some letter dies, but after some research I have only found dies that cut letters about 1 inch. Ideally, I need letters that are about 3 inches. I am hoping to find a 'set' and not have to buy the letters individually...any suggestions? I've been searching on my own, but not much luck. :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

The Serif Essentials dies from SU are about that size. They are all caps - not sure if that's what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
The Serif Essentials dies from SU are about that size. They are all caps - not sure if that's what you need.
Thank you! I will look it up! All caps will work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Cuttlebug has beautiful alphabets that you can use with felt. They are kind of hard to find in stores. You can get them on Ebay really cheap. They retail for around $90 but I have been able to get the dies for around $5-$10.

Editing- Oops! I read your size requirements backwards. I am sorry. I have dyslexia. I do think CB has some dies around the three inch size. If they don't check out the AccuCut dies and of course Sizzix. AccuCut is really pricey though but sometimes you can find a great deal.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

you might find some at the siizzix.com site, they also have a tab to click on to go to their "outlet" site as well, sometimes you can get a really good price.....shipping can be a tad high tho, thats the only draw back.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Cuttlebug has beautiful alphabets that you can use with felt. They are kind of hard to find in stores. You can get them on Ebay really cheap. They retail for around $90 but I have been able to get the dies for around $5-$10.

Editing- Oops! I read your size requirements backwards. I am sorry. I have dyslexia. I do think CB has some dies around the three inch size. If they don't check out the AccuCut dies and of course Sizzix. AccuCut is really pricey though but sometimes you can find a great deal.

Is there a way to tell which of the CB dies will cut felt? Or will they all cut felt? I've read that the Sizzix Sizzlets do NOT cut felt so I've been looking for the originals

I did buy the Serif Essentials on Amazon, so I'm (impatiently) waiting for them to try them out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslee76View Post
Is there a way to tell which of the CB dies will cut felt? Or will they all cut felt? I've read that the Sizzix Sizzlets do NOT cut felt so I've been looking for the originals

I did buy the Serif Essentials on Amazon, so I'm (impatiently) waiting for them to try them out
All CB dies will cut through felt. I love to make felt flowers and letters. Two of my favorite dies for that are CB.

You can cut felt with the Sizzlets. It has to be thin felt that has been stabilized with Heat n' Bond or some other interfacing. You have to run it through a few times. The Big Shot does beter with felt/sizzlit's than the CB machine. I have tried both and it can be done. Somebody might see this with some felt experience behind them too and have a better recipe than mine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I would love alpha dies that could cut chipboard in 2-3 inch sizes. It is crazy how many sites don't tell you how big the letters are! I have gone crazy searching.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
I would love alpha dies that could cut chipboard in 2-3 inch sizes. It is crazy how many sites don't tell you how big the letters are! I have gone crazy searching.

Anne
I do wish the sites would tell you the size of the letters! It would make things so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AccuCut and Ellison make steel rule alphabet dies that cut through most crafting material. They're sold in sets and a little pricey, but if you're going to use them a lot...

Sizzix used to make great Originals (the thick dies) alphabet sets. I love them. They cut through just about anything and are so handy. I have a ton of the Sizzlit alphabet sets, but the Originals dies are my favorites. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of them when I started collecting the fancy electric/computer-driven cutters!

I recently asked Sizzix if they had plans to release more Originals alphabet sets and was told no. Bummer! Now that we all cut chipboard and grungeboard and all sorts of cool stuff, I really think Sizzix needs to make more.

There are only three *current* Sizzix Originals alphabet sets. One is a Stampin' Up! exclusive (Alphabet Simple Letters/Numbers, approx. 2-3/8") and the other two are Serif Essentials (approx. 2-3/8") and Sassy Serif (approx. 4").

Sizzix has an Originals alphabet die coming out this Spring. It's in the Tim Holtz line and it's called Word Play. It's a mixed font alphabet with all the letters on one BigzXL die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
AccuCut and Ellison make steel rule alphabet dies that cut through most crafting material. They're sold in sets and a little pricey, but if you're going to use them a lot...

Sizzix used to make great Originals (the thick dies) alphabet sets. I love them. They cut through just about anything and are so handy. I have a ton of the Sizzlit alphabet sets, but the Originals dies are my favorites. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of them when I started collecting the fancy electric/computer-driven cutters!

I recently asked Sizzix if they had plans to release more Originals alphabet sets and was told no. Bummer! Now that we all cut chipboard and grungeboard and all sorts of cool stuff, I really think Sizzix needs to make more.

There are only three *current* Sizzix Originals alphabet sets. One is a Stampin' Up! exclusive (Alphabet Simple Letters/Numbers, approx. 2-3/8") and the other two are Serif Essentials (approx. 2-3/8") and Sassy Serif (approx. 4").

Sizzix has an Originals alphabet die coming out this Spring. It's in the Tim Holtz line and it's called Word Play. It's a mixed font alphabet with all the letters on one BigzXL die.
Thank you so much for the information! I ended up buying the Serif Essentials ABC's & the numbers (got them both on Amazon for about $100)...probably could have been patient and gotten them cheaper, but I needed them quickly!

I will definitely start scouring for some good deals on the Simple Letters...I think I've seen the Sassy Serif, but I thought you have to buy them individually.

I used the Serif Essentials...the only problem is, when using the felt, the skinny part of the letter stretches really easily, so tomorrow I'm going to get some stiffened felt to see if it will work better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Have you checked Die-Versions dies? You can find them at www.die-versions.com

They have tons of fonts and they cut felt, thin chipbaord, etc.

I heard they where at CHA and where wildly popular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the tip!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes