View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #288
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Well Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I did a bit of soul searching as to why " looking forward to buying " is such a big part of this hobby. I think I discovered the answer for me. I don't know if it will help others curb spending.

When I started making cards I needed everything! It took more than 2 years to get all of the basics, good paper trimmer, a nice selection of cardstock, ink pads stamps, adhesives, etc.

I could not buy it all at once so "looking forward to buying" was a big part of this hobby for me. The Blog Hops, release parties and sales fed into the "looking forward to buying". Not to mention seeing wonderful new products from DT members

Now that I have all the basics I have decided to drastically cut back on my craft spending. In my opinion this hobby has consumed too much of my money in the past 2 + years . I don't go into debt, I pay cash, or if it is on the CC I pay it off when the bill comes . But I feel I spent more than I should on a hobby. However, now I feel a bit lost not looking forward to buying something.

I needed to change my outlook of this hobby and find techniques or projects I "look forward to Doing" rather than looking forward to buying.

This weekend I "look forward" to coloring my new fairy stamp . I have had it since late November and it has never been inked
Barbara, I very much AGREE with what you've discovered. When I sat down late last year and just started going through my bank statement just looking for craft spending amounts just to get an idea of what I spent for my hobby ... it scared me. Really all I had to do was look around my Stamp/Scrap/Office but I think I got insulated to putting the stuff into my organizers and not thinking about how much I already had ... The thought of logging all of the spending woke me up to the fact of how much I spend on "Impulse".

I downsized last Spring and was thrilled with the better organization and extra space I had. I have been thinking alot about the downsizing again this Spring! "STUFF" sitting here in my stash is weighing on me ...

I was very "inspired" during January this year. I think just the thought process we're going through of trying to use what we have and the awareness was helpful to my MOJO. I think I was being dragged into a buying habit versus a creating habit.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!