View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #2011
WordTrix
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: Bummer on not getting any books for Christmas, but congrats on the Kindle, and on reading 148 books last year. Way to go! Do you think you will read more this year with an ereader?

I gave books to my niece for both Christmas and her birthday (only days apart), and the look of joy on her face, each time she saw a new book that was all her own? Priceless! As for me...I received three from a friend — Isle of Dogs and All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell, and Sense of Evil by Kay Hooper — and two from my sister — Holly Lane (book 4 of series) by Toni Blake and Tombs of Endearment (book 3 of series) by Casey Daniels. I have not read Cornwell before and, as they are book number three in two different series, and as I hate reading series out of order, it gave me reason to visit the library’s used book sale earlier this month. Total score! I found three of the four books needed, for only 50 cents each. Will have to keep looking for the one still missing. Not like I don't have plenty of other books in the meantime. *snicker*

I did manage to finish Santa Cruise before the year ended, so total read for 2011 was 105 books—one more than the previous year—plus 386 pages of a 796 page anthology (223 pages were read in 2010). One of my reading goals for 2012 will be to finish the remaining short stories in that collection, THE COMPLETE STORIES by Dorothy L. Sayers. Only 186 pages to go... *whimper*

I have signed up for the 2012 Goodreads Reading Challenge, with a goal of 100 books again this year. I have a few goals within the overall goal, too.

1: As previously mentioned, complete that huge Sayers anthology.
2: Catch up on books that have been loaned to me by my sister (13) and a friend (7). These numbers have a habit of growing faster than I can read them, LOL.
3: Catch up on books won or received as gifts.
4: catch up on books/series taking up space in the TBR pile by favorite authors. I have fallen way behind in a couple of series I really liked. (I am almost caught up with one of these authors, as least so far as books I actually have are concerned.)
5: Read 8-10 classics. I managed 14 in 2011, but half of that was "The Chronicles of Narnia." Hopefully some of the GR group reads will help here.
6: Try to finish the "Read the USA" mystery challenge. I have already amassed several books into one pile towards the twenty remaining states. Now to start reading!

Books read so far this year:
ACTS OF VIOLETS by Kate Collins (Cozy mystery, book 5 of series)
A ROSE FROM THE DEAD by Kate Collins (Cozy mystery, book 6 of series)
SHOOTS TO KILL by Kate Collins (Cozy mystery, book 7 of series—I have two more by her on my shelf, and there are three I don't yet have.)
A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Charles Dickens (classic; one down, seven to go—this was for a group read at GoodReads, liked it.)

Currently reading:
FLIPPED OUT by Jennie Bentley (cozy mystery, book 5 of series—catches me up on this author)

According to the meter on GoodReads, I am currently two books behind (thanks to Dickens—I liked TALE, but it took me an entire week to get through it), so have some catching up to do. Methinks I need a fast, easy reads before attempting another long or diffcult book.

And now, I promise, I have done. For now. Hopefully I don't let another month go by before posting again. Night!

Heather

Last edited by WordTrix; 01-24-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!