View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #2009
WordTrix
Gabfest Goddess

Lois: I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games. It's one of my favorite trilogies! Would love to see the movie in March, but may not get to, as no one I know seems interested.

Sue: I’m glad you have started reading again, and hope you are enjoying CATCHING FIRE. As I said above to Lois, this trilogy is one of my favorite series! As for vampires and werewolves…I never used to be much into them, either—until I got hooked on a couple of good (well, to me anyway, LOL) series. I have not heard of Nicky Charles, but can definitely offer suggestions on other vampire/were books.

Oh—I do not know much about Wicca, either, but have heard that the Scott Cunningham book is a pretty good one. It is rated four out of five stars at GoodReads.com. The other book by Silver Elder is also rated four out of five stars.

JenniK: I imagine there are rather long waiting lists at the libraries for this series, with the movie out in two months.

GypsyRoseStamper: Re: THE HUNGER GAMES. The book is actually considered young adult dystopian*, not science fiction, and I’ll be honest—when I first started seeing this book mentioned on various blogs and message boards, I wasn’t really sure I would like it. I mean, for one it is YA, and I haven’t read much in that genre since I was a young adult. Second, there is the premise. Yes, it is a bit creepy and scary, but it was also what started to intrigue me. And the more I heard/read about it, the more intrigued I became. When it was chosen as a group read at GoodReads.com, I waffled over whether or not to read it, and decided to go for it when Doubleday Book Club offered a really good 2-for-1 package deal on the first two books.

Let me tell you, I was so glad I bought both books at once, because I devoured them back-to-back, then started screaming in frustration when I realized I had to wait almost a year for book three. The one lesson I learned from this experience was not to turn down a book solely because it wasn’t in one of my preferred genres. Sometimes, as in life, you have to take a chance on a book you may not like.

* Dystopian, from the noun "Dystopia": a society characterized by human misery, as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding; an imaginary place where everything is as bad as it can be. The opposite of "Utopia."

More to come...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!