View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
MadgeRPh
Stazon Splitcoast

Back in the day (way back!) when my kids were in Elementary School, a friend and I took over Teacher Appreciation Week. The first year we did it wasa tough year as the teachers were on stirke almost 3 weeks in Febrauary over a contract dispute. Many of the parents were not feeling too generous at the time and the teachers returned without resolution so there were some bitter feelings on both sides. We new we had a difficult task that year.

We planned a week of activities and every day we had a theme. Some of themes we did that year and in subsequent years. Parents donated food and we used the money from our budget to purchase prizes.

1. Garden Day: all food items had ingredients grown in gardens. (salads, zuchini bread, etc)
2. Desert Day: No explanation needed an always a hit!
3. Italian Day: Italian food only.

The biggest hit of all were our contests. Each day depending on the theme we raffled prizes:

On Garden Day, we raffled off gift certificates to our local garden store.
We had "Crazy Hat Day" and challenged the teachers to wear a crazy hat. Gift certificates were awarded to the top 3 winners and they came up with some hilarious hats.

Another big hit was Teacher Trivia Day. We handed out quizzes with multiple choice questions about the faculty. We even included a trivia question about each of us!

Almost all the staff contacted Kathy and I at the end of the the week that first year and told us what fun they had. They really appreciated it after what had transpired that Winter.

Now that my kids are out of school, except for one in high school, I really miss those days. For the HS teachers Staff Appreciation I donated herb plants last year with matching cards from the SU Herb Expressions set. The teachers liked those as well.