Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear stamp storage

I am having trouble coming up with an organized way to store my clear stamps. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this has been asked before but I now am collecting a large assortment of clear and single rubber stamps. I just put a few on some transparant sheets and thought maybe I would tape some cardstock behind them and stand them up in file boxes. I tried the binder with cling pages and found that they would just come off and then I will lose some. I am thinking I might get more of the clear boxes from SU and put them into those. All Bellas, whimsey, etc. I am in the process of getting a room of my own so I will have more room to sort. I don't want to get so many stamps that I can't keep track of them in my own mind, lol.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I want mine all on uniformed sized sheets. I tried a couple of 8.5X11 laminated sheets in a binder but worry that the smaller stamps will inadvertently fall off and get lost. I then decided to use laminated sheets with the stamps on them and then put them in archival quality page protectors. That way if, any stamps fall off, they will only fall inside the sheet protector pouch and will be easily found. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to go the binder route or put them in an open topped storage container so that I can flip through them easily. I'll probably go the route so that all my stamps can be stored in similar containers. I have, from our Dollarama dollar store, what look like mini milk crates except they are rectangular and not square. They are the perfect size to hold the CTMC stamp packages and if I use letter size sheet protectors, they should easily fit into these containers along the length of the container, either upright, or by turning the sheet protector sideways. This probably sounds clear as mud LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is how I recently did mine, if you're interested.

A Vegas Girl at Heart: Clear Stamp Storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post

Good idea! I got the 510 Xyron Creative Station for Christmas but don't have a laminating cartridge for it. I'll have to check for prices on those to see how economical it might be.

Thanks for the suggestion :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
Good idea! I got the 510 Xyron Creative Station for Christmas but don't have a laminating cartridge for it. I'll have to check for prices on those to see how economical it might be.

Thanks for the suggestion :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Xyron-Double-S...6310028&sr=8-5

michaels also carries them, maybe you could use a 40% off coupon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

All great suggestions! Not sure which way I'll go yet, but, knew I could count on SCS to give me ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I use Artimis binders they are fab I am on my 2nd one. I got my sister to laminate some card which I stick the cling ones to before sliding in the sleeve. I feel "unmounted stamp organised" I just finished mine today in fact!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayzView Post
I use Artimis binders they are fab I am on my 2nd one. I got my sister to laminate some card which I stick the cling ones to before sliding in the sleeve. I feel "unmounted stamp organised" I just finished mine today in fact!!
Congratulations on finishing your project!

Here in Nova Scotia, it costs roughly $1.49 plus tax to have one 8.5X11 sheet laminated. I can get the package of 5 EZMount sheets for $4.50, so less than if I had my own laminated. If I went with half sheets and used the Xyron, I need to figure out the cost per sheet. The laminating cartridge here would probably be close to $20, even with a Michaels coupon. Still pondering which way to go :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
Congratulations on finishing your project!

Here in Nova Scotia, it costs roughly $1.49 plus tax to have one 8.5X11 sheet laminated. I can get the package of 5 EZMount sheets for $4.50, so less than if I had my own laminated. If I went with half sheets and used the Xyron, I need to figure out the cost per sheet. The laminating cartridge here would probably be close to $20, even with a Michaels coupon. Still pondering which way to go :-)
Cripes, my sister works in the local uni offices so she just did some for me! I like this method as the card provides somthing for the stamps to cling too as well as sturdy in the plastic pocket which is clear so I can see them. If I kept the index sheet I have put that on the other side the pocket!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I wanted a uniform system for ALL of my stamps - clear and rubber (I'm a bare-rubber w/tacky glue on the back girl), so I got laminated folders from WalMart (56 cents apiece) and cut them down to 4" x 6" so they'd fit in the Iris photo cases. Seven fully-loaded cards will fit into each case. That way, if any fall off, they're contained in the case, but they seem to stick to the laminated folder better than they did to the SU! DVD-style cases or CD cases or anything else I've tried previously. I've attached thumbnails of what I'm talking about. I have 64 cases filled so far, and have them organized by category and labeled (I break up my sets) and on shelves above my JetMax cubes (although the thumbnail shows the cases in the carrier they came in). Love it so far!
Attached Thumbnails
clear stamp storage-cards-stamps.jpg   clear stamp storage-photo-keeper-open.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I wanted a uniform system for ALL of my stamps - clear and rubber
Oh, I wish I could do this!

I just can't bring myself to unmount my wood-mount stamps. And the idea of taking my CTMH stamps out of their envelopes cause me to quake. So, for now, I'll have three different storage systems. That's why it's even more important than I have ONE consistent indexing system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

WOW!!! I'm in shock I think...I am lazy!! I can't bring myself to organize that much, but boy would it save time in the long run I'm sure!! Holy Cow, I will be showing this off this weekend at our BIG Craft weekend!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Hope this helps - I just finished organizing all of my Unity KOM stamps. I put stamps on both sides of EZ mount sheets and then put them in acid free extra thick 3 ring plastic protectors. I then placed them in a 2" D-ring binder. Each binder will hold an entire years worth of the Unity KOM stamps. Then I did the same thing with the other wonderful stamps I have. They are now neat and easy to find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

I just can't bring myself to unmount my wood-mount stamps. And the idea of taking my CTMH stamps out of their envelopes cause me to quake. So, for now, I'll have three different storage systems. That's why it's even more important than I have ONE consistent indexing system.
I think most of us have been where you are! I remember the first time I heard of people unmounting their wood-mount stamps - I thought they were nuts. No way would I ever do that. Well, eventually I did unmount everything. Then I remember hearing of people splitting up their sets and organizing by category. Gasp! No way could I split up the sets. Such horrible sacrilege. And yet, I'm in the process of doing just that. And my stamps are so much easier to find now. Choosing just the right stamp for a card I'm making takes almost no time at all.

Here's a couple of links to my new storage method:
Starting the process
Progress update

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

chris i love your clear holders/envies for your unmounted stamps
care to share the source? thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

tim holtz? anyone know the best place to buy in bulk? coupon code?
thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I got the Tim Holtz folders from Scrapbooking Alley, the scrapping division of Ritz Camera. They're $2.40 for a pack of 5, and free shipping for $50 order. So if you order 21 packs (105 folders), you'll get free shipping. I'm on my second order already! I think I should be able to get everything in with this batch. I'm moving from over 500 CD cases to hopefully just a bit over 200 of the Tim Holtz folders.

Advantus Corporation Tim Holtz Idea-ology Unmounted Stamp Binder Refill Pocket 5-Pack - TH92473 - ScrapbookingAlley.com

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

This has been very eye-opening. Think I have decided to use the baseball card folders and large binder for the smaller ones (stamps) and maybe use other photo folders for the larger ones. Thanks, everyone, for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwba46View Post
This has been very eye-opening. Think I have decided to use the baseball card folders and large binder for the smaller ones (stamps) and maybe use other photo folders for the larger ones. Thanks, everyone, for your input.
I used to have all of my $1 Studio G sets like this, but I got aggravated with them sliding out of the pockets when I was flipping through, so I've integrated them all into the system I outlined above... Every one has to do what works for them, though - you may love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post

This is an excellent idea! I have been putting mine in a clear shoe (size) box and having index cards with each set of stamps on it for reference. I like this set up better! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

This is exactly what I needed! My collection of clear stamps has been growing, and my original storage method is no longer working. I had been throwing the entire set into an accordion file folder, grouping the sets by brand. My two file folders are full to bursting, plus they slip and slide all over the place and are hard to grasp and handle.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Last night and this morning I organized all my clear stamps sets (that are still in their cellophane packaging) into catagories into plastic baskets from Big Lots. I made the dividers from cardboard from SU! DP packs (ended up at 5.5" wide x 11" high after tabs were cut), used Tim Holtz dies to cut the tabs on top, and a P-Touch to make the labels. Ahhh...feels good to get that job done!

It would be nice to have ALL my stamp sets split up and put into catergories in one type of storage like Sue's rather that the 4 different ways they are now (wood mounted in clamshells, clings in DVD and CD cases, and now clear sets in baskets). Sue's way is something to aspire to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I've started getting my stamps in order too. I got a Michaels version of the clip it up and it seems to be working right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm switching all of mine over to the SU DVD cases. I can stamp the images on cardstock for the cover. I also stamp an image and file the image in my stamp catalog (organized by manufacturer and theme). Very easy to find whatever stamp I want to use and I don't have to constantly re-organize my stamps. I use a number system, each new case gets the next consecutive number and the catalog references the number. I know where everything is and the system grows as my collection does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought heavyweight binding covers, cut them in half and mounted my stamps on them. I placed them in sheet protectors (5 1/2" X 8 1/2"), which are then put into a 32-liter Really Useful Box. I used some old index dividers (the kind used in file cabinets); cut them to 9", so I could separate the stamps by categories.

I really love this system. My stamp storage space has been cut by 2/3rds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been looking a lot at this forum for the last couple of weeks. This thread caught my eye, because I don't have that many clear stamps, but I always forget to use them. I was looking at the homemade 'clip-it-up' ideas (I love the shoe rack idea from Walmart) and she mentioned putting her clear stamps on that. It was a lightbulb moment for me. I wasn't sure what I would use the clip it up for, but then I figured I could use it for them too. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
I think most of us have been where you are! I remember the first time I heard of people unmounting their wood-mount stamps - I thought they were nuts. No way would I ever do that. Well, eventually I did unmount everything. Then I remember hearing of people splitting up their sets and organizing by category. Gasp! No way could I split up the sets. Such horrible sacrilege. And yet, I'm in the process of doing just that. And my stamps are so much easier to find now. Choosing just the right stamp for a card I'm making takes almost no time at all.

Here's a couple of links to my new storage method:
Starting the process
Progress update
Chris thank you so much for your post. I currently have the ez mount sheets and have been pondering the binder boxes but feel I am much more tactile and love flipping through my stamps. I currently store them in a storage container much like yours but they are in the original cello pkg which is a total pain! My collection is still managable and would like to find a great system now , these pockets look perfect! It looks like I can still use the ez mount sheet and then slide them in? Now I just need to ponder whether I want to be brave enough to split my sets! I think the one thing that could make me do it is your idea of an index binder which you could still go back to for matches of a partiular set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharoninksterView Post
Chris thank you so much for your post. I currently have the ez mount sheets and have been pondering the binder boxes but feel I am much more tactile and love flipping through my stamps. I currently store them in a storage container much like yours but they are in the original cello pkg which is a total pain! My collection is still managable and would like to find a great system now , these pockets look perfect! It looks like I can still use the ez mount sheet and then slide them in? Now I just need to ponder whether I want to be brave enough to split my sets! I think the one thing that could make me do it is your idea of an index binder which you could still go back to for matches of a partiular set.
Yes! I have a few EZ Mount sheets that came with some stamps, but had never thought to measure them before. They're 8.5 x 5.5 inches, which is only a little bit smaller than the sheets I use, which are 8.5 x 6 inches. So you definitely could just slide the EZ Mount sheets into the Tim Holtz folders and call it a day. Great idea if you already have those!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Hi Chris,

I tried putting my word stamps into your system but found they just fall off and or bend when putting them into the folders. So I put all my word stamps back into the SU case loose. I was thinking of putting them into baseball card sleeves but figured I had spent enough money on organizing for now. I did find another use for the Tim Holtz folders. I put the stamp sets with their matching dies into these for ease.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
Hi Chris,

I tried putting my word stamps into your system but found they just fall off and or bend when putting them into the folders. So I put all my word stamps back into the SU case loose. I was thinking of putting them into baseball card sleeves but figured I had spent enough money on organizing for now. I did find another use for the Tim Holtz folders. I put the stamp sets with their matching dies into these for ease.

Lorri
Hmm. I wonder why? My stamps are all either clear stamps or rubber with cling foam backing. What are yours? If I tried to slide the acetate sheet full of stamps into the folder all by itself, it would be a flimsy squirmy thing and would likely behave like you say, but I lay my stamped sheet of cardstock on top of the acetate (over the stamps) and slide them into the folder as a single unit, which is generally pretty easy. The only ones that make me mutter a bit are the folders that have a lot of really large rubber/cling foam stamps, because they are so heavy that they want to jump off the acetate sometimes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

Too funny Melissa, I am right there with you! Split up all those Unity KOM and other sets? shudder. mostly because I think there would be a lot I wouldn't be sure how to even put them in a category. My acrylics are in their original packages by category in an iris box unity, my cling mount rubber are in univenture binders and I have a binder that has an index (lists and pics) which I flip through when I am deciding what to make. Might not be the best but my OCD self can't take anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

ah ha, the reason why my stamps fall off the storage board holding them is because I did not make the front sheet like you did. I just went back and reread your blog and realized what you did. I was thinking this was your index sheet.

AND...I have to say you are extremely neat in your stamping and indexing.

OKay now I will go back and rethink this storage for the word stamps.

Thanks for replying to my post now I see more clearly.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just reorganized mine and made a video: Rubber Stamp Organizing {clear & unmounted} � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Yes! I have a few EZ Mount sheets that came with some stamps, but had never thought to measure them before. They're 8.5 x 5.5 inches, which is only a little bit smaller than the sheets I use, which are 8.5 x 6 inches. So you definitely could just slide the EZ Mount sheets into the Tim Holtz folders and call it a day. Great idea if you already have those!
Thanks again great to know because I do have alot of the rubber ones on ezmount sheets. When I was investigating the best place to buy, (unfortunately I am Cnd need to find a "cheap" source that ships to Canada) I noticed on a video that these are made to cling on the outside at least that's what it looked like, you definately have yours inside sleeves, right??? Thanks again for the great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharoninksterView Post
Thanks again great to know because I do have alot of the rubber ones on ezmount sheets. When I was investigating the best place to buy, (unfortunately I am Cnd need to find a "cheap" source that ships to Canada) I noticed on a video that these are made to cling on the outside at least that's what it looked like, you definately have yours inside sleeves, right??? Thanks again for the great idea!
Yes, I've seen that Tim Holtz has his on the outside, but mine are definitely on the inside. I don't want to lose any stamps. If you put the stamps on the outside, you wouldn't need the acetate sheet that I use (or the EZ Mount pages, in your case).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Yes, I've seen that Tim Holtz has his on the outside, but mine are definitely on the inside. I don't want to lose any stamps. If you put the stamps on the outside, you wouldn't need the acetate sheet that I use (or the EZ Mount pages, in your case).
ok that's perfect, your instructions were actually perfectly clear Chris but when I saw that I wanted to make sure. I'm off to search the web for my folders;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I use the Tim Holtz unmounted stamp pockets. They are ment to go into the binder, but I got a bunch of the refills and put them in a pretty basket. They are nice and thick, they hold that stamp sets in place nicely and I can easily flip through them to find what I need. I have tried a few other options in the past and this is by far the bast for me.
Attached Thumbnails
clear stamp storage-photo-13-.jpg   clear stamp storage-photo-14-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

While I haven't done it yet, my plan is to make clear envelopes from clear plastic sheets. I will close the envelopes with velcro dots. Inside, there will be a cardstock page with all the stamps going in that envelope stamped on it with info (manufacturer and set, probably) because I will group them by theme but I want to know who made them and what set it belongs too.

The stamps will be mounted to heavy plastic sheets. (Or else, the thin sheets but I will have to adhere the cardstock stamp sheet to the back then.)

I just haven't decided if I will use A2 envelopes or A6. It will depend on the box I find to store them in.

I plan to use the thin and heavy plastic sheets from Accucut Craft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently I'm using those clear DVD cases that Stampin' up! and AMuse sells.

I store all my unmounted stamps inside them and then place a label on the spline. Then I place them in a shoe box.

I still have some unmounted rubber stamps on those White plastic storage boards.

And 2 full zipped 3 ring notebooks.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes