View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #124
flash&rusty
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmn View Post
January Challenge

Don't forget our January Challenge & Question of the Month

* the challenge is to designate a spot to put all craft spending receipts for 2012. That way, at the end of the year we can assess if we use our craft $$ wisely or impulse spending gets the best of us *

* the question is just to encourage discussion on awareness for all of us to think about what motivates us to spend *
Well, I have met the first part of the challenge, and taken it a bit further. I have a spot for all my receipts, but not just my crafting receipts. My husband and I are putting in every single receipt that we spend for the months of January, February & March. They are in an accordian folder, divided by category (food, clothing, household, gas, entertainment, miscellaneous and other) - if a receipt has multiple categories, then it goes into miscellaneous. Once we have the first months worth, I will put it all into a spreadsheet to determine our spending. The purpose of this is to help us determine and set up a budget to follow. But we didn't just want to use January as a measure of our budget, as we may have more or less expenses. We wanted to use a three month window, essentially a quarter, to give us more of an average of spending, which will enable us to be more realistic in setting a budget. Of course, the first thing that happens is my stove breaks and I have to purchase a new one - ugh!

As for the question of the month, that is harder. Sometimes it is out of necessity (adhesives, items for particular projects, etc), but for me I think I spend on crafting out of boredom - of my current supplies/stash, new shiny things are out there, I'm in a rut and need some inspiration, retail therapy - lots of different reasons. I guess I have to find new outlets to alleviate that boredom.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!