View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
stampy-girrrrrl
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I think examining WHY we shop and what it fulfills in us is very valuable. Not just saying I am not going to do it this year .

I am a goal setter. I set a goal and lay out a detailed written plan to accomplish it. In the beginning it was useful. I needed all the basics such as a good paper cutter; selection of card stock, various dies etc. I had a written monthly purchase plan. But after I got the basics I continued to keep adding to the list. The wish list became like a hamster wheel. I was always adding things to another rung and peddling as fast as I could to get the things on the next rung. I rearranged my budget for other things to get things on my wish list before the price increased or because something was being discontinued. Well it was a Goal and I meet my goals !

Before I examined WHY I shopped I knew I had to toss the wish list.
If the price goes up and I no longer can justify the cost or if something is discontinued and I can't buy it how important will it be in the big scheme of things? Getting things for this hobby was driving all other budget decisions.
I tore up the wish list and the yearly calendar as to when I will buy things. I am not spending any money in January so I can get off this hamster wheel!
This last part really resonates with me... I used to think "oh no" it's not going to be available when I need it, or it'll be discontinued so buy 20 instead of 2 or any such thing.... Then I realize that if you "miss out" this time, there is always something new that I like as well or better. There is always something new that will tickle your fancy
Good luck with not purchasing... it's kinda easy once you get used to it. For me, it was definitely not getting sale notices anymore cuz I don't miss what I don't know and I always buy stuff at regular price once I get in. I used to drive 45 minutes one way to go to Michaels in the burbs... where I live, Michaels did not exists in the city. Then they opened one 4 blocks from where I live right before I started school (a year and a half ago). Because I quit with the fliers and e-coupons, I stopped going. I have been in there twice no coupon, no bait
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!