View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
stampforariethan
Die Cut Diva

Two weeks ago they got the news that the cancer had spread to his hip. He went through chemo and radiation on his esophagus, but because the cancer has spread, they can't operate. They are going to start chemo and radiation on his hip, but unfortunately, they have given him 6 months to 2 years. Shelley is just a shell of what she used to be. She has lost so much weight and she just goes through the motions. It's almost like she is punishing herself because he has cancer. She won't eat anything that he can't eat. One of my co-workers brought in cupcakes the other day and Shelley LOVES her cupcakes. When she was told about them, she replied, "Yum!". When asked if she wanted some, she immediately said, "NO"! Jim is having problems eating cakes and cookies, so she won't allow herself to eat any of these things either. She is not taking our advice that she needs to take care of herself. She isn't sleeping. She's not eating correctly. She is an absolute mess. Jim keeps apologizing to her because he has cancer. It's just so sad. For a brief few weeks it seemed as though things were going to work out. I just wonder if there aren't some sort of "off the beaten path" types of treatment that could help. I always see that commercial for the Mayo clinic (I think that's the one) where the lady says she was given months to live and she went to this hospital and they said that they didn't see an expiration date stamped on her foot and she got through it. They have been getting treatment at the IU Medical Center. I

I was honest with her one day because I haven't said a whole lot to her about it. When I do, I only make positive comments like, "I know that Jim is a fighter". Stuff like that. I just outright told her that the reason that I do not say much to her is that I don't want to upset her by bringing it up. Also, I honestly do not know what she is going through and I really don't know what to say. I figured it was better to be honest with her then to just not say anything. I did tell her that I am happy to help in any way that I can even it's just to let her vent. She knows that I am praying for Jim. From the sound of it, the doctors don't seem to think that there is anything that they can do for him other than to prolong the cancer's effects.

I wanted to update everyone on what they have found out. Jim is only 48 years old. I know that a lot can come of being positive and having an "I want to live" attitude. I will let you know if I find out anything else.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!