Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What's with the new SU punches?

Haven't there been at least 4 or 5 of the new style punches recalled in the last couple of months, including 2 this week? This seems like a lot with a serious quality control problem.

I'm also not happy about my old style SU scallop border punch suddenly deciding to not completely cut 3 of the scallops! The punch is only 18 months old and not used that much. I was planning to use it with my Christmas cards this year and I'm running out of time to order something.

My local stores don't have much of anything I can substitute. I don't have Hobby Lobby here and a very tiny Michaels and 2 old Joann's.

Aaaargh! OK, I'm done with my vent!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, Cindy, you are SO not alone in your frustration, lol! SU's punches are manufactured by EK Success, and they've been working with SU to try and figure out what the problem is. It is very aggravating to say the least!

I encourage you to call your demonstrator and ask her to contact SU on your behalf. While it's technically outside SU's return timeframe, in this circumstance they may still be able to help. With all the problems with these punches, it's not like this is an unusual thing, right?

Good luck with your punch...I wish I had a substitution suggestion for you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

which punches are recalled. I have several punches that I haven't used yet.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

There isn't a recall as such. The following punches are temporarily unavailable to order:

2-3/8" Scallop Circle Punch (item 118874)
Ornament Punch (item 119847)
Decorative Label Punch (120907) ** Sorry...backordered only
118073: Fancy Flower Punch
120906: 2-1/2" Circle Punch

I think it's a good idea to at least test all the items you receive in your order asap. In general, SU's exchange period is 90 days. If an item is defective, it needs to be reported right away. The problem with the punches is that the defect isn't always immediately apparent. It might work fine for the first 5, 10, 50 punches and then all of a sudden become messed up. Sometimes the punch is defective right away, though, and that's the easiest time to find out and return it.

Test your punches first of all to see how they work. Not all the punches have the defects...I have several that work just fine. But if the punch(es) start acting up, contact your demo right away and have her report it to SU.

ETA: Oops! Added two more punches I overlooked.

ETA (AGAIN): Just noticed I'd included the Decorative punch...that one is available to order; it's just temporarily backordered. Sorry to confuse you!

Last edited by MSBetsyZ; 11-17-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default SU ornament punch

I bought the ornament punch last October. Used it a few times then not until last week. Decided to use it for some gift tags. Punched a couple of times and then it wouldn't punch all the way down. It's like it's out of whack and part of it is keeping the whole mechanism from working. My demonstrator contacted SU but it's outside of the 90 days so I'm out of luck. Really irritates me because they had problems with that punch and just because mine temporarily punched okay, I'm now stuck with one that won't. Makes me more inclined to not buy any more of these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Call me frustrated with them too! I have one that I bought twice because the first one quit and now the second one isn't working right. My ornament one feels "crunchy" when I use it but I refuse to buy another one. I won't be buying any more of them. Too bad because I still had some on my wish list. I love the designs but they are too expensive to be disposable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I've that had 3 that didn't work! Like Gale I don't always use them for a few months and then I'm past the 90 day period. Very disgusting!! I won't be purchasing any more from SU either:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, this is too bad as SU's quality is usually high. I'm a demo too and dread the day that mine might stop working. They really need to make an exception on the punches because they know there is a huge issue! They need to have a 6 month warranty or more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is very disheartening, especially since people tend to find so many ways to use Stampin Up punches other than their original use (ie: flowers from the bird punch, Santa from the ornament & ovals).

I was thinking of purchasing the bird and petite banner punches, but now I'm wondering if I'd be better off brushing up on my Silhouette skills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I must be the luckiest person on earth. I've never had a SU! punch in either the old style or new style go wonky on me. I use them all the time too! I buy Martha Stewart punches, other EK success punches that aren't SU! exclusive and those all work great too. I have one circle punch that doesn't punch out WW paper as nicely, but it is almost 10 years old! LOL. I'll cut that one a break. Sorry to hear all you ladies are having trouble with yours. I am grateful I haven't had issues. Keeping fingers crossed here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I've had with SU punches is the gear punch. The first one wouldn't cut through the paper at all. My demo returned it, and the second one cuts through but I have to stand up, push down with all my weight and then hold it down and give it an extra "push" to give it a chance to cut through entirely. It also refused to cut through the glitter paper.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the 2-step bird punch in the mail. I guess, when I took it out of the cello packaging, one of the 'plugs' that hold a bar in at the top of the punch fell out. Didn't notice until I was trying to punch c/s and the punch went kinda crooked. Luckily, I found the 'plug' and pushed it in place so the punch now sits straight and is punching okay. Do you think I should return it? The 'plug' seems to be staying in - tapped both sides of the punch on my craft table and the 'plug' stayed in place. I ordered it from someone online since there was no tax. I saved a little because, if I bought it from my usual demo, I would have to pay tax on both the punch and the shipping cost.

Without the 'plug' the punch wiggled. I think the bar was not sitting all the way in to hold the images portion straight. The 'plug' looks like the ones you put into a hole in drywall to keep screws from getting loose and falling out.

So far I have only had a problem with one punch I got from SU. The edges were fuzzy. Took several returns before I got a punch that cut an image with clean edges.

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I must have gotten lucky with the ornament punch, it's definitely been used more than 100 times. I have the decorative label punch, that works fine too. Even after my in-laws punched about 100 uses out of it. I try really hard not to toss them around too much and get an even pressure on the lever so they punch correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I have an update. I sent an email to Stampin' Up! outlining my story and how I had only used the ornament punch a few times, but was outside of the 90 day window. I was sent a response today:

Thanks for your e-mail regarding the ornament punch. We apologize for the issue and want to make sure that you are happy with our product. We appreciate your business and are going to make an exception for you and send you a new ornament punch. Would you please provide us with some information..your demonstrator's name and the full address you would like the punch sent to.....

We value your support and appreciate you!

We look forward to hearing from you.

I am quite happy with this response. I'm not sure if inundating them with emails will have them look into why some of the punches aren't good for the long term or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

That is a really nice outcome for you! Enjoy your punch and hopefully it will go the distance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

While I do not have much of Stampin' Up products, as I just got introduced to it, I have to say that I find they product of good quality. However, I am disappointed as a lot of it is made in China. I bought the pennants punch and it is defective. It does cut, but the very tip gets a bit chewed and does not give me a clean cut. Since I bought it last month, I am hoping to get it exchanged or else returned. Perhaps this will not be an issue with my demo. Nonetheless, I will be very concerned of purchasing other punches from them... Oh well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I'm tempted to quit buying SU punches too, and I'm a demo. I don't use them often enough to know if they're going to fail after so many punches and 90 days is definitely not long enough IMO. I might buy a punch, try it or use it right away, and not touch it for another few months. I love punches for the ease but I think I might just skip them and use the Silhouette for the shapes I need. Way too many horror stories.

I've quit buying punches (including border punches). Any brands. I have (1) out of 20 that works 100% of the time (seriously). Way to expensive for raggy edges. I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was lucky and talked to my demo about a bad fancy flower punch (awhile back) and my demo said hers wasn't working properly either, so she called DS and the first gal she talk to said sorry pass the 90 days, but than a couple hours later she called again and they told her since they were having so much problems with the punches, they would replace both of them! So you may need to call a couple different times until you get that "right" person who will replace it.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Knock on wood but I haven't had any problems with SU punches...I use owl and bird and circles all the time ....hmmmm punches do require a little maintenance every once in a while but nothing like what some of you are experiencing straight out of the package....My worst punches...Fiskars scissor handle punches (they kinda crumbled in hand) and the Making Memories ones that had the HEAVY cartridges and you were supposed to use them to make wire rimmed tags....That mechanism was clunky and mine broke after only a few punches....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm really sad to hear about all these problems with Stampin' Up punches. I don't have any of the new style. I really want the petite pennant, bird and ornament punch, but the high cost and poor workmanship has scared me off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I've never had any problems with my punches, and I got my ornament punch in the middle of the quality issues. I guess I got a lucky one.

The problem I'm having is the strength needed to actually punch--and I'm not that old. I wish someone would develop some type of lever adapter I could use to ease the squeeze, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I'm glad that I found this thread/post ... to know I'm not alone with these problems.
I have been ordering more of the 'new' style SU punches, for easier storage. However what I have found are these problems with BRAND NEW punches ...
* not a clean cut, especially on the more decorative edge punches
* after 3 cuts one of the punches locked up and won't punch nor close
I sent an email off to SU to see what they will do with this broken one, since it was just ordered two weeks ago.
I will probably be looking at Spellbinders or some other form of shape cutters, as I prefer a 'cleaner' cut and ones that will hold up. For the money these just don't seem to be worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Default Stampin Up Fancy Flower Punch

118073: Fancy Flower Punch - I have tried and tried to use this but I have to pound the inside with the end of a screwdriver to release it. I am very frustrated and was told by Stampin Up that this is not available now because the last shipment did not meet SU standards. However, the time has run out for me so I am stuck with a useless punch that goes with several stamps I own. I am thinking twice about ordering from them anymore....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Balky punches are giving way to Framelits: no moving parts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Default Response from SU

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyhendView Post
118073: Fancy Flower Punch - I have tried and tried to use this but I have to pound the inside with the end of a screwdriver to release it. I am very frustrated and was told by Stampin Up that this is not available now because the last shipment did not meet SU standards. However, the time has run out for me so I am stuck with a useless punch that goes with several stamps I own. I am thinking twice about ordering from them anymore....
8-7-12/ Received an email the Fancy Flower punch is unavailable but they will send me something else for the same price. Yikes! I wanted the 2 1/2 circle punch but that seems to be unavailable now also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyhendView Post
8-7-12/ Received an email the Fancy Flower punch is unavailable but they will send me something else for the same price. Yikes! I wanted the 2 1/2 circle punch but that seems to be unavailable now also!
Are you sure the 2 1/2 circle is unavailable. I just tried and it looks like it's still available to order. Did SU! tell you it was unavailable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

A while ago my Build A Blossom punch got jammed and wouldn't even press down. I contacted my demo and even though my punch was out of the 90 day period she got me a replacement. I haven't had any more problems with the punches, but the clear mount stamp set cases have been damaged when I got them out of the box twice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
There isn't a recall as such. The following punches are temporarily unavailable to order:

2-3/8" Scallop Circle Punch (item 118874)
Ornament Punch (item 119847)
Decorative Label Punch (120907) ** Sorry...backordered only
118073: Fancy Flower Punch
120906: 2-1/2" Circle Punch

I think it's a good idea to at least test all the items you receive in your order asap. In general, SU's exchange period is 90 days. If an item is defective, it needs to be reported right away. The problem with the punches is that the defect isn't always immediately apparent. It might work fine for the first 5, 10, 50 punches and then all of a sudden become messed up. Sometimes the punch is defective right away, though, and that's the easiest time to find out and return it.

Test your punches first of all to see how they work. Not all the punches have the defects...I have several that work just fine. But if the punch(es) start acting up, contact your demo right away and have her report it to SU.

ETA: Oops! Added two more punches I overlooked.

ETA (AGAIN): Just noticed I'd included the Decorative punch...that one is available to order; it's just temporarily backordered. Sorry to confuse you!
Yikes. I have the ornament punch (ordered in June) and haven't tried it out yet. I will as soon as I get home tonight. Hopefully it works!
Reply With Quote Likes