Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Craft Sales Ideas and Plans

I've been following some great craft sale threads but wow, they get up into the thousands and are months old!

We have some great new SU products coming out, the mini, the SAB.......and with that a whole new inspiration on what I want to sell, how many shows in 2012, what type of shows and new products I plan to try out.

How about we start a fresh new thread? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

bump!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

subbing cuz I am thinking about doing craftshows in 2012 too. Just need some confidence in myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Subbing

I would like to get an early start for 2012 winter crafts shows and would love ideas for items that I can make now and throughout the year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I like fresh starts and with craft fair season for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays coming to a close, it's easy to bet lackadaisical about Spring potentional, back to school fairs/fundraisers and truly unique ideas for next years holiday bash! : )

So let's get creative together and see what we can come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll be taking my leftovers to a retreat this weekend and hope to sell off a bit of the rest.......however, then it gets packed up and tucked away for next year. I am thinking about various other sales besides the Christmas holiday shows since we have so many festivals all year round in Texas. So I'll be thinking about that as I walk through the galleries; what can be changed and recycled for other holiday times and when its best to do shows.

Is anyone else a regular at shows besides the post Thanksgiving run?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I do shows all year long...have kept a diary this past year in which I detail every show I attended, sales and what items I brought (ie: no Christmas stuff in May. etc.), weather, crowd size, advertising (or lack thereof), ease of loading/unloading and any other pertinent info - I also remark on if I'd do the show again - I also ask other vendors about their shows and how they felt about them...some good leads for next year - one thing I've learned this past year...I'm not going to waste money on fees of crappy shows...I would rather pay a higher fee to a well run show...time will tell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been researching this all day today. I'm trying to get ideas for shows this year and from what I've come up with the trends are going to be based upon color, frugality, practicality, and nostalgia. What does this mean? I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to make! I think that I'm going to start looking into altering lots of different items though like picture frames, lamp shades, old kitchen items... recycling and repurposing is looking like my theme for this year, but where to go from there!

I'm a work in progress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

i don't do crafts shows. but i do shop at many. also i use this and other threads for ideas for gifts & of course stocking stuffings.
as for finding shows i use AAA. i call my local office and just ask if there are any within 50 miles. they email me a list. i have also used this service whenever we travel. so give your office a call (you do have to be a member)-worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for starting this thread and I like that you named it by year! It would be good to have different threads every year.

Having said that I think I'm recovering from this year's craft fairs and would start thinking about the new ones in Jan/Feb As they say too much of anything can be bad LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

My first fairs started pre-Thanksgiving and I wasn't as prepared as I liked. I did ok for my first fairs (I gauge that by at least recovering my booth fee) and I had lots of fun meeting new people. My main goal is to get myself out there and let people know I'm there to help guide them in their papercrafting projects of whatever kind. However I totally have been bit by the craft fair bug. I want to do them year round and am already trying to think of projects that would be desirable for the 1st quarter of the year. I'm scheduled for a 3/10 spring festival so I think I will try to look for some Easter ideas and some mini-scrapbooks. I think altered frames are a trendy thing right now too. I definitely want to follow this thread to keep me on track and see what others are creating and successfully doing. I'm all in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I'm in....got back into the craft show circuit this year and now am itching to do more....wish there were more around here, other times of the year. On the look out for shows and good ideas. If nothing else, I need to be better prepared for next fall, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I do craft shows in the weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving. I get so jazzed up over my sales that I want to do shows year round. Each time I try it the sales are disappointing. Finally, I came to the realization that people are more into looking and having something to do when they go to craft shows through the year. Sure they may need a birthday present or something for the house or an upcoming holiday but that is only 1 gift. At Christmas time people are looking to buy a gift for everyone they know. Big difference. So now, I am content to do shows in those precious few weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving and scope out shows during the year for ideas on display. I may try my hand at an Etsy shop or try to get my items into a gift store but no more shows other than Christmas.

With that being said, I am always looking for a new project to try. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesladyView Post
I do craft shows in the weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving. I get so jazzed up over my sales that I want to do shows year round. Each time I try it the sales are disappointing. Finally, I came to the realization that people are more into looking and having something to do when they go to craft shows through the year. Sure they may need a birthday present or something for the house or an upcoming holiday but that is only 1 gift. At Christmas time people are looking to buy a gift for everyone they know. Big difference. So now, I am content to do shows in those precious few weeks between Halloween and Thanksgiving and scope out shows during the year for ideas on display. I may try my hand at an Etsy shop or try to get my items into a gift store but no more shows other than Christmas.

With that being said, I am always looking for a new project to try. Any ideas?
This is especially true for school-based shows. I no longer do any of these because it is more of a community event than a place where people buy.

I just finished sorting my leftovers to pack away.
I am also buying christmas themed items to use in next year's crafting.
Has anyone seen the xmas M&M's on sale yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Default selling candies in 1x8 bags

So I have to ask....do people buy the candies in the 1x8 bags? I never would because I don't trust that the person preparing them followed safe food practices. I'm really not **** about germs and such and I know that most people would prepare them with clean hand or gloves but I don't know who does so I just pass on them even though they are so cute. I think they would be great stocking stuffers and would love to make them if they sell but I don't want to have leftovers either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyscrapmomView Post
So I have to ask....do people buy the candies in the 1x8 bags? I never would because I don't trust that the person preparing them followed safe food practices. I'm really not **** about germs and such and I know that most people would prepare them with clean hand or gloves but I don't know who does so I just pass on them even though they are so cute. I think they would be great stocking stuffers and would love to make them if they sell but I don't want to have leftovers either.
oh yes! I sold 300 of them this year and people were wanting more. But I didn't want leftovers either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

What an interesting thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a few candy leftovers which we are eating just fine! : ) Course I did use proper food handling and I think most crafters are aware of this and adhere. No one seemed concerned. They were packaged candy as far as my customers were concerned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Just finding this thread - nice! I don't do craft shows but I do have an Etsy shop that I'm constantly reworking. It seems like the trends are still going with mustaches, monograms & text, woodland, and chalkboard surfaces. After the Christmas rush I'm ready to take some down time, but alas...Valentines Day is right around the corner.

Interesting comment above about the school fairs. I've had the same experience with them not being very profitable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm thinking of doing a spring craft fair that will center around Mother's Day and graduation. I'm looking for some ideas and having a hard time finding some. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

great thread ;) I just recent;y this year started craft shows and I love it. I am also starting on stuff for next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Talking Crafting in TX and USA

After attending the Barn Sale in Gonzalez, Texas, this year I convinced my mom to make some of her knitting items and participate with me next year. You can read about the Barn Sale - here.

On the Internet I found this site, which I'm sure there are couple of like it, but like this company because it has been around a little while. http://www.craftmasternews.com/

Today I hit our three craft stores, and one grocery store, and found some really cute and very inexpensive Christmas items that I am already altering. Crazy, I know.

This is a great thread. With all of our ideas we should all prosper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

So, so far the only things Ive done getting ready for the 2012 Faires are:

started a display board on Pinterest. I'm thinking I need more height on the back of the table since, the big show I do is in a private school ( their largest fund raiser of the year with a huge waiting list for vendor's to get in) every year I've done this has been better then previous years. ( so it probably depends on the school and the community as far as school sales go) this is a 2 day event.

so, this made me curious how many of us are on pinterest and or have craft fair display boards or things to make ideas...

I have a link to my pinterest boards on the very bottom of my blog i think.
if anyone needs an invite there is a email me button on the blog too.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I am on pinterest but still very new to it. Just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Oh and before Christmas I picked up glass things ( bauble things) and magnets to try some altered glass magnets, and some rusty and not rusty jingle bells.

(may branch out slightly from cards and tags) the main thing I do.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree that height is important. When I have to provide my own table, I always raise it as high as possible. I have thought of using risers (like what you use to raise your bed), but have always been afraid the table might not be stable. Anyway, I take a nice wooden easel to hold a large sign with big writing. I usually decorate it (garland for Christmas) and this seems to attract a lot of people. I try to place it facing the entrance. Stacked boxes work wonders for displaying items. The closer to eye level the better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Default Crafting through the year

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastaltxstamperView Post
Today I hit our three craft stores, and one grocery store, and found some really cute and very inexpensive Christmas items that I am already altering. Crazy, I know.

This is a great thread. With all of our ideas we should all prosper.
I have been glittering and altering since xmas. This week-end, I am going to start putting the xmas craft themed items away until for the shows next year.

I have not been able to find much success in craft shows at other times of the year. However, I was invited to fill a display cabinet at the local Arts Council for April and May. I will keep my glass pendant art necklaces out, and am trying to come up with a new design for my glass pebble bookmarks. They are very good sellers but I want to change it up a bit.

Any ideas or tips for items that sell well at other times ofthe year? And how to market them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyscrapmomView Post
I'm the same way. I don't even like to eat at potlucks. I've seen how some of those people live...yuck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I read on another thread where someone is going to start making their Christmas 2012 craft show items; that inspired me so I am starting today (1-1-12). My goal is to make two projects a month (dedicating two weeks for each project). I am going to start with this cute paper coffee cup,

Paper Coffee Cup by PSUKim05 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I plan on putting in a couple of the same Starbucks coffee singles and also a couple of individually wrapped biscotti

Anyone else starting now or have any great ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

I have two goals this year: 1st I want to join and become a Stampin Up Demonstrator. 2nd Is to attend a craft fair or local market.

In my town we have a Mum's and Bub's Market on 1st Saturday of the month and I'm hoping to have a stall to promote my new SU business and sell some homemade goodies too. As it's a market for Mums and babys I thought, Baby Cards, Shower invites, Birth announcements, and little gift boxes. But also do a few Easter and Mother Day's as well in case people want to get organised. Other things I was thinking, was Birthday card (of course) Thanks you cards, Birthday invites, Gift card holders, Money Gift Holders and a few Card making kits.

Just wondering how much of each item to make? Also any suggestions on what to take to boost party bookings?

http://chloscraftcloset.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

chlo think about doing name frames. you take orders @ the market. just make a few up to give mums the idea. quick & simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by demahiView Post
I read on another thread where someone is going to start making their Christmas 2012 craft show items; that inspired me so I am starting today (1-1-12). My goal is to make two projects a month (dedicating two weeks for each project). I am going to start with this cute paper coffee cup,

Paper Coffee Cup by PSUKim05 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I plan on putting in a couple of the same Starbucks coffee singles and also a couple of individually wrapped biscotti

Anyone else starting now or have any great ideas?
This is cute. Will you assemble them all now, or just cut and have them ready? I don't have alot of storgae space.
Today, I tidied up and organized all my products leftover and supplies bought. I took my mini glass magnet designs that didn't sell and have put them into packaged sets. They look cuter now. And it is leftover product for next year.

I often do this. Re-purpose or spruce up something that didn't sell for the following year. Adding glitter always helps! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
chlo think about doing name frames. you take orders @ the market. just make a few up to give mums the idea. quick & simple.
Chlo...here are some pictures of name frames that have been done at some of my classes...I also take some samples to craft fairs and do exactly what Gayla says...take orders and that also opens the door to classes and parties!
Also, bring a sign up sheet...to be on your newsletter, upcoming classes, etc.

If you do want to sign up with SU...do it during sale-a-bration....great deal for new demos(just saying, LOL )
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Craft Sales Ideas and Plans-frames-006.jpg   2012 Craft Sales Ideas and Plans-frames-008.jpg  

Last edited by wendykins; 01-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: ooops, forgot to add pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
This is cute. Will you assemble them all now, or just cut and have them ready? I don't have alot of storgae space.
Today, I tidied up and organized all my products leftover and supplies bought. I took my mini glass magnet designs that didn't sell and have put them into packaged sets. They look cuter now. And it is leftover product for next year.

I often do this. Re-purpose or spruce up something that didn't sell for the following year. Adding glitter always helps! LOL
I will be assembling them as I make them, I am fortunate enough to have a small amount of room for storage. I will only making six, I have not done them before and don't know how well they will sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Does anyone have an idea to use the Hershey bars for Valentines? Something similar to the Snowmen? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendykinsView Post
Chlo...here are some pictures of name frames that have been done at some of my classes...I also take some samples to craft fairs and do exactly what Gayla says...take orders and that also opens the door to classes and parties!
Also, bring a sign up sheet...to be on your newsletter, upcoming classes, etc.

If you do want to sign up with SU...do it during sale-a-bration....great deal for new demos(just saying, LOL )
super cute. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, I'm another who would love a Valentines Day idea for my leftover Hershey bars. . . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes