View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #40
jaydekay
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW! I feel larger already, these recipes are all wonderful...
I just had to pop in and add my all time fave. PAXIMATHIA--- toasted cookie slices...
thats Biscotti to you and me.. recipe given to me from a friend who's mother was full blooded greek. I make it every year in different flavors and different toppings.
This recipe makes about 9 dozen and is really easy.
You have never had biscotti that light and delicate as these... not hard like you get in the stores.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup salad oil
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons anise ( optional )
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
5 cups sifted flour

1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

with mixer, beat butter and oil until blended. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beat until light and creamy. Stir in baking soda, baking powder and anise (if used). Stir in walnuts- gradually add flour.
Knead until a soft dough is formed.

Divide dough into 5 equal parts. Shape into long, narrow flat loaves, about 2 1/2 wide by 1 inch high.
Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets: cut through diagonally in 1/3" slices, maintaining loaf shape. Combine egg and milk-brush the loaves.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and slice again through original cuts while warm.
Cool slightly, turn slices on their sides and return to oven.
Toast on each side until lightly browned: cool on rack.

varitaions: omit anise and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla or lemon extract or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Fan Club Member

" If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spread it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.
~Brendan Frances~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!