Creamy Corn Soup without any butter or cream!
Creamy Corn and Vegetable Soup
• 4 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, thawed
• 2 cups nonfat milk
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
• 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
• 1 medium zucchini, (about 1/2 pound) diced
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
Put 2 cups of the corn and the milk into a blender or food processor, until smooth. Set aside. (I used 2 bags frozen so I put one bag in the blender with the milk and used the other in the soup).
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of corn and the broth and bring to a boil. Add the pureed corn and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, but not boiling. Add the salt and season with pepper. Serve garnished with the basil ribbons.