View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Broom
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow... you gals have my mouth watering! I no longer bake cookies because (a) wheat and gluten don't agree with me, and (b) if I did bake them, I'd eat them by the batch. The one thing I do bake at Christmas is Nisua, a family tradition started by my grandmother.

Finnish Nisua Cardamom Braids

2 pkgs. (1/4 oz each) active dry yeast
cup warm water
2 cups warm milk
cup sugar
cup butter, softened
1 teaspoons salt
teaspoon ground cardamom
2 eggs
7 to 8 cups all purpose flour

In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, butter, salt, cardamom, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface and divide in half. Divide each half into thirds and shape each piece into a 13 inch rope. Place three ropes on greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.

Baking options:
Roll the dough into a rectangle, spread with butter, and sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top. Roll into a loaf and bake as usual.
or
Slice the above loaf into cinnamon rolls and place on top of a mixture of cup butter, cup brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons corn syrup melted into the bottom of a baking pan.
Proud Fan Club Member
Proud MMTPTCC Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!