Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette Cameo reviews?

Hi all

I have researched quite a bit now on electronic cutting machines and know for sure that the Cricut is not for me. I would prefer to avoid the cartridges headache and just design my own.

So far Silhouette Cameo seems to be the frontrunner on my list but I can't find a whole lot of reviews on it (maybe because its new?)

Anyone has info on whether it is released? Any good deals on when to buy it? Will it have any black friday deals?

Also, how is the silhouette design software compared to SCAL? If I go for buying the Cameo then I would prefer using the software that comes with it and skip yet another immediate expense

Thanks!
-Chaitali
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for asking ---I want to know the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Bump! anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

A friend of mine has the Cricut Imagine and just purchased the Silhouette SD. He is in craft heaven! He loves the size and portability of it. He said the Cricut is a monster! I am thinking about the Cameo, myself. I was never interested in the Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Original Silhouette that came out a few years ago, and I truly would not be without it. The software for designing is really very good, and is nowadays constantly being upgraded. I don't know about SCAL, never used it, so don't know how it compares. I do know that as a secondary design tool, a lot of people use INKSCAPE, which is an open-source (FREE) design software that can be downloaded, just google the name. I think the Cameo is just about to be launched, so you should start getting some independent reviews soon. At the homepage, HERE, it says its instore now, btw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #6  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Any idea who sells them? I saw overstocked had them, but are sold out.

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thanks ladies!

Looks like everyone agrees its a great device to have I'm puzzled by where it sells as well. Saw the website says "in store now" and that Overstock had them but can't find it in-stock and selling anywhere yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

It looks like Custom Crops and Scrapyland have Cameos in stock. Mine is coming on Monday!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sooo want it ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecView Post
Hi all

I have researched quite a bit now on electronic cutting machines and know for sure that the Cricut is not for me. I would prefer to avoid the cartridges headache and just design my own.

So far Silhouette Cameo seems to be the frontrunner on my list but I can't find a whole lot of reviews on it (maybe because its new?)

Anyone has info on whether it is released? Any good deals on when to buy it? Will it have any black friday deals?

Also, how is the silhouette design software compared to SCAL? If I go for buying the Cameo then I would prefer using the software that comes with it and skip yet another immediate expense

Thanks!
-Chaitali
If you already have SCAL2, then the update to SCAL3 is free. SCAL3 allows you to cut to the Cameo and other cutters. SCAL2 is for the Cricut.

Silhouette Design Studio is a pretty good sw, imo (I have the Silhouette SD now). I haven't used it as much as my others (I also have KNK Studio & MTC), but it is a good sw. You can upgrade to the Designer Edition which will give you the ability import svg files, make rhinestone templates, etc., but obviously, you could do that at any time, if you felt you needed/wanted it.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

While I love my Cricut, the Cameo sounds pretty cool. I would recommend going to this blog to find out about the Cameo. Under A Cherry Tree

Jin does a fantastic job on her blog and she reviewed her new Cameo! It looks like it cuts wonderfully! She also does tons of tutorials on using Make the Cut with her cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rkView Post
While I love my Cricut, the Cameo sounds pretty cool. I would recommend going to this blog to find out about the Cameo. Under A Cherry Tree

Jin does a fantastic job on her blog and she reviewed her new Cameo! It looks like it cuts wonderfully! She also does tons of tutorials on using Make the Cut with her cutters.
Yes thats the review I saw and started thinking about the Cameo seriously ;) The tutorials are awesome too!

I'll probably wait till Black Friday just in case any Cameo deals show up and order it if not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to a Craft Show yesterday, and the Cameo was there, being shown by Silhouette. It really is very, very good. A definite step up from the original, not least because of the 12x12 cutting. When my original one goes to cutter heaven, I shall most certainly be getting one. Whilst mine does all I want it to do, I couldn't justify the new one. My co-Mother-in-Law got hers on Friday, and I also have to say it is much larger than the originals ladies-I would say not far off 2 feet wide, and probably 4-6 inches taller too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I went to a Craft Show yesterday, and the Cameo was there, being shown by Silhouette. It really is very, very good. A definite step up from the original, not least because of the 12x12 cutting. When my original one goes to cutter heaven, I shall most certainly be getting one. Whilst mine does all I want it to do, I couldn't justify the new one. My co-Mother-in-Law got hers on Friday, and I also have to say it is much larger than the originals ladies-I would say not far off 2 feet wide, and probably 4-6 inches taller too.
Ah yes I hadn't thought about the size! Even then it looked pretty small in the photos. I have never had an electronic cutter before and I guess I was thinking it would be really bulky and huge. I liked how sleek it looked!

Now that you mention it, how do I find out where I can see a Cameo in action and possibly play with it? Do any stores carry it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

A Little Birdie Told Me Silhouette Cameo

I purchased the cricuit imagine and gave my daughter my expression, I hate it. I'm thinking about getting the Cameo as welll and would love to see it in person. I've checked their website and the places close to me are either on-line store fronts or are out of business:( Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I purchased my Silhouette Cameo 2 weeks ago from Craft-E Corner. They had it on sale, got an extra 10% off for signing up for their newsletter, and free shipping. I think I paid $255 for it. I ordered it on Monday and it was delivered by Thursday. I've never used the previous Silhouette and I've only used this one to cut vinyl, but I LOVE it. For me, it had less of a learning curve than the Cricut. The setup was quite easy ad the software is quite simple to learn. The only issue I had was that I had to rearrange my desk to make space for it since it's so long, 16" or so. But it's pretty narrow and can easily be scooted behind my laptop when it's not in use.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I got mine on Saturday and sadly it is still in the box. I had a craft show on Sunday and 3 more big ones comming up. Hopefully I will get to use it in the next couple of days. I also have the cricut expressions, but purchased this one to be able to design my own and be able to purchase patterns online and use them.

I will update once I get it going.

: )
sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp TimeView Post
I got mine on Saturday and sadly it is still in the box. I had a craft show on Sunday and 3 more big ones comming up. Hopefully I will get to use it in the next couple of days. I also have the cricut expressions, but purchased this one to be able to design my own and be able to purchase patterns online and use them.

I will update once I get it going.

: )
sarah
Thanks Sarah! Looking forward to reading your review.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierodView Post
I purchased my Silhouette Cameo 2 weeks ago from Craft-E Corner. They had it on sale, got an extra 10% off for signing up for their newsletter, and free shipping. I think I paid $255 for it. I ordered it on Monday and it was delivered by Thursday. I've never used the previous Silhouette and I've only used this one to cut vinyl, but I LOVE it. For me, it had less of a learning curve than the Cricut. The setup was quite easy ad the software is quite simple to learn. The only issue I had was that I had to rearrange my desk to make space for it since it's so long, 16" or so. But it's pretty narrow and can easily be scooted behind my laptop when it's not in use.

HTH.
That was very useful. Thanks! 255 seems very reasonable especially considering that you won't have any cartridge costs from the Cameo. Have you tried any cuts with it yet? Would you mind sharing pics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Here's the link to the vinyl sign I created for my front door: Vinyl Welcome Sign with Cameo by leslierod - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I still haven't gotten around to making anything for a card or scrapbook page, but when I do, I'll post them here for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Here's the link to the vinyl sign I created for my front door: Vinyl Welcome Sign with Cameo by leslierod - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I still haven't gotten around to making anything for a card or scrapbook page, but when I do, I'll post them here for you.
Very Nice!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I may need to ask for a Cameo for Christmas! It'll be sad to get rid of my old Silhouette.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Wow thats lovely! Now that I know the Cameo can cut vinyl so well, I totally want it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cameo

Hi

I just wanted to inform people before buying a cameo as I have one and they are problems with the blade, I am so disappointed that it doesn't do what it says that it was going to do that I am thinking of returning it.

At the moment I am having to use my Craft Robo blade in my Cameo because the blade that is supplied with the Cameo doesn't cut my designs it cuts but not right through whatever setting I have the blade on then it will rip the paper to shreds. There is also no way of removing the debris that builds up in the blade like the Craft Robo.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by unionjackminiView Post
Hi

I just wanted to inform people before buying a cameo as I have one and they are problems with the blade, I am so disappointed that it doesn't do what it says that it was going to do that I am thinking of returning it.

At the moment I am having to use my Craft Robo blade in my Cameo because the blade that is supplied with the Cameo doesn't cut my designs it cuts but not right through whatever setting I have the blade on then it will rip the paper to shreds. There is also no way of removing the debris that builds up in the blade like the Craft Robo.

Hope this helps.
I remember reading that there was a bad batch of blades so I would contact customer service and they will replace it for you.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been able to play with my machine a little since my last post. I was able to cut paper but not vinyl. Maybe I have a bad blade as well....I tried for over 2 hrs to get it to cut. I guess I need a little more practice on the machine.

: (
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I have made the decision to send mine back because it doesn't do any better than my craft robo and there is no point in paying for another machine that does the same.
I have lost all faith in it so it just has to go back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by unionjackminiView Post
I have made the decision to send mine back because it doesn't do any better than my craft robo and there is no point in paying for another machine that does the same.
I have lost all faith in it so it just has to go back.
Oh no, that's unfortunate. Were you able to contact Customer Service?

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I love my Silhouette. My first design didn't turn out but that was my fault, I went back and re-read the instructions and now I am having no problems.

I'm thinking of buying some vinyl to make a "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" sign to put on our wall above our bed

I've been so busy I totally missed out on the online .50 design sale they had over the weekend. I hope they do that again soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

I had the chance to play with my machine over the holidays and I did have a bit of trouble cutting at first but once I played around with it a bit, I was able to get the hang of it. What I found works best for me it to take the recommended settings and then increase the blade depth by 1. It seems like the blade just wasn't deep enough at the recommended settings.

For vinyl, I used the settings recommended by Expressions Vinyl and had no trouble at all.

The only issue I found was that debris tends to accumulate in the blade opening and it's impossible to remove. Overall, once I had some time to play around, I found that it works great. I started a spreadsheet with the settings that I know work so that I can refer to them later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I forgot to say that the problem I had with it not cutting properly was because I didn't check the weight of my cardstock. Once I selected the correct blade setting for the weight of the cardstock it worked like a dream =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

They tend to have sales pretty frequently on Silhouette America. They also have a clearance section every week with different shapes that are .50

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

My cameo shipped today. I installed the silhouette studio software over the weekend and downloaded a bunch of designs from the online store since they were all 50 cents. Now I have to try to wait patiently for the UPS man to bring my new toy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Okay --confused again ---if your Cameo shipped today --how could you already install the software? Does not that come with it?? Also --- I am so upset with myself not reading well enough ----thought I had thru tomorrow (the 3oth) to order from OhMyCrafts and get 20% off the sale price of $269. Did not realize that the 20% off was just for one day! Not happy now ---does not pay to be so slow making up my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

A disc does come with the cameo but you can also download it directly from silhouette's web site. That way you also know that it's the current version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

But do you have to pay for it from the website? Or is it available with purchase? Guess, I do not understand this. Am thinking would still really like the Cameo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

The basice silhouette software can be downloaded for free from the Silhouette America website.

Silhouette - Download New Software

This is my first time trying to place a link, so hopefully this helps you out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

The basic software is free, but you can purchase a license key for the upgraded designer version for $50 through the website as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Thanks alot! Will try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously ObsessedView Post
Okay --confused again ---if your Cameo shipped today --how could you already install the software? Does not that come with it?? Also --- I am so upset with myself not reading well enough ----thought I had thru tomorrow (the 3oth) to order from OhMyCrafts and get 20% off the sale price of $269. Did not realize that the 20% off was just for one day! Not happy now ---does not pay to be so slow making up my mind!
The BLACK15 code is till Nov 30 so you can still get 15% off
Reply With Quote Likes