View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #5605
Greywolf
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
I've suffered from panic attacks since the birth of my second son. I don't know if it is hormones or what, but I started getting them when he was 8 weeks old. Maybe it's that fear of dying and nobody left to care for the baby thing.

They became almost debilitating a few years later. I had trouble in crowds and even standing in line at the grocery store. I was afraid that I'd become agoraphobic. Finally sucked it up and told my doc. He put me on anti-anxiety meds (nothing addicting) and it's helped tremendously!

In fact, until I got laid off two years ago, I worked at a job where I attended lots of crowded events, talked to lots and lots and lots of strangers, attended meetings, etc. I can't imagine doing that 20 years ago, when things were really bad.
So glad you've been able to overcome it! I used to be pretty bad in crowds, but now I just suck it up and do ok. I usually only get a panic attack if there is a lot of pressure on me and too much chaos. Part of the reason I didn't do well in crowds is that I'm only 5'1" and I always felt like the taller people were breathing all the air.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!