View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #4575
Cook22
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoyle8 View Post
My book club is reading The Art of Racing in the Rain this month. Last month, we read The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - we all enjoyed that one.
I enjoyed that too, as did DH and MIL. But when I was looking on Amazon there were a whole bunch of pretty poor reviews which surprised me.
The Glass House - that was one powerful book - it makes me angry to read that parents can be like that, though. Same when I read a biography of Judy Garland recently.
I'd recommend Piano Shop on the Left Bank to almost anybody - most people who've borrowed it from us have then bought their own . It came out under a couple of similar titles, but it's the only book by Thad Carhart.
Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is another good one, and not just because I worked in Guernsey for a while.

I was planning to make peanut butter cookies today but after all that chocolate talk I think perhaps it will be brownies instead.

24 years married, DH is one of those craft-supportive guys. He even makes cards for me for Christmas, b'day IF he doesn't leave it too late. He does all the dishes too, irons his own clothes (mine are mostly non-iron, LOL) and rarely fails to say thank you for feeding him in the manner to which he has grown accustomed. But he's not a DIY-er, and I was spoiled on that front by my dad who could do ANYTHING.

@Makalah on the toys - I don't think batteries are ever a problem really. I try to take pity on parents and not buy super-noisy toys, though. I'm a big fan of books for gifts - I usually give books at Christmas when there are so many toys around for starters, and then give non-book gifts for birthdays.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!