View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #2709
SurfLola
Polyshrink Goddess

Two of my favorite boys in the whole world are visiting this weekend so I thought I would surprise them with this.

From Cook's Country Feb/Mar 2011

Open-Faced Beef Wellington

1 (9 1/2 by 9 inch) sheet puff pastry, thawed
4 center cut tenderloin steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425*. Cut puff pastry into quarters. Bake puff pastry on parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, about 15 mins.

2. Meanwhile, pat steaks dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Het oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook steaks until well browned and meat registers 125* for medium-rare, 3-5 minutes perside. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

3. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms and shallot until browned, 6-8 minutes. Add wine, broth and any accumulated beef juices and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 6 mins. Off heat, whisk in remaining butter and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Top each puff pastry with 1 steak and one quater of mushroom mixture.

TEST KITCHEN NOTE: Puff pastry sheets are often sold frozen in packages of 2. For this recipe, thaw 1 sheet in the refrigerator overnight.

I am making baked Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes (see tastykitchen.com) and roasted broccoli. These boys are just out of college and eat gross things like Ramen noodles. Ewww. I am also doubling this because, well, they are just out of college and eat a lot and gross things like ramen noodles
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!