View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #115
Rebecca504
Rubber Obsessor

Well. So far all the recipes I see are just plain fattening! LOL!!! My husband and I just lost 40 pounds (each) so I'm not ready to put that back on my backside. However, I made something the other night that we both decided was the best thing I have ever made. Here goes:

1 head of cabbage, sliced (remove the core from the cabbage of course)
1 onion, chopped
2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped in bite size chunks (Galas are my personal favorite so if you prefer something else - go for it)
1 package of "Polish" sausage - I used turkey because there's a lot less fat.
About a tablespoon of caraway seeds. Don't be stingy. I didn't measure them. I used half of one of those little short spice containers.

You can use butter if you like, but I put 1 tablespoon (approximately) of olive oil in a Dutch oven. I added the onion and sausage and let the onions cook and the sausage brown. Then I added the cabbage, apple and caraway seed. After stirring everything together, I put the lid on the Dutch oven and went upstairs to take a nice hot bath while the pot simmered. (Probably half an hour) I like the cabbage a bit crisp so you can cook it longer if it suits your fancy.

I served it with Food for Life Genesis 1:29 Sprouted Grain & Seed Bread (certified organic!). If you haven't tried this bread - you must! It is the best stuff I have ever eaten and it's not empty calories (lots of fiber). I have to make a 60 mile round trip to the health food store to get it, but it is worth it. I keep it in the fridge (and freezer) so I warm it up before serving by wraping it in a paper towel and zapping it in the microwave. Somehow that seems a bit extreme for certified organic bread, but what are ya gonna do? It taste so good warm. Unfortunately, since we have lost weight I now forego the slathering of butter, but it's very very tasty without anything added.

Now I'm getting hungry! And yes, when you decide to lose that much weight you have to actually cook and stop eating junk food - which we were both very good at doing. Tonight we are having sirloin steak with asparagus and butternut squash. (And some of that wonderful bread!) Yummmmm.

My blog:http://catladymewsings.blogspot.com/
My website: www.rsrdecorarts.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!