View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #48
newstampinaddict
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
Tell me about it.
It's funny, though - you used to be able to, I think. At least, I remember having pumpkin pie quite often growing up, and I doubt my great-aunts used to send cans over. All those exotic things we CAN get now, and that's not one of them. Or Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate, sigh...or corn syrup.
If we're sharing recipes, here's what we're having tonight: it's the end result of experimenting with traditional red cabbage recipes using apple, and a modern one using dried cranberries.

Red Cabbage with Cranberries:
For half a red cabbageI used one red onion (because I had it, although I am sure an ordinary onion would be pretty much the same), a little oil, 2 tblsp each brown sugar and wine vinegar, a pinch of allspice and about two ounces / 50 g dried cranberries.

Heat the oil, fry the sliced onion gently for a few minutes. Add the finely sliced cabbage and fry gently for another few minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, spice and cranberries plus a little water - enough just to keep it moist. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

This would probably give about six servings as a side dish. We're going to have it with sausages and the last of the lovely redskin potatoes I brought back from France. And something green because it won't look balanced without .
mouth watering... going to try this. DH and I go to a German restaurant here that has THE best red cabbage and I have been trying and trying to duplicate. Gonna definitely give this a shot.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!