View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #2489
sc magnolia
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Talking

Fionna51 found the updated Debbie Gimbel Prismacolor booklet.

Check out this thread:
ISO Colored Pencil Book by Debbie Gimbel

I have an older booklet she did on Color theory and it helped me a lot when I was learning how to use prismacolors.

Some of you were talking about what black ink you use to stamp with and what color paper. I can't remember what class I took.. might have been one of Debbie's or River City Rubber Works maybe (I'm talking 10 years ago). Anyway, they taught us to stamp in brown ink rather than black, because they said black gives an outlined kind of cartoonish look. They showed how brown allowed you to finish off the deepest shadows in black or dark sepia and get wonder three- dimensional effects. They also showed how a neutral colored cardstock like a tan shade adds to the composition and provides contrast for the lighter colors of pencil that a white background can't.

Now, that being said... do I do it? Yes on the tan cardstock, but I haven't found a brown ink pad color that is dark enough. (or maybe I'm just not good enough with the color). There are no longer any local stamp stores in my area, and Hobby Lobby has limited supplies. I don't want to mail order without seeing the color first. Now that I'm back into stamping again, I will work on this. If anyone has had success with a good dark brown, please let me know.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!