View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #141
Cameldiva
Mad Swapper

I'm here, just lurking.

Really didn't have anything exciting to report so I was quiet.

The most exciting thing I've done is mastered octopus cooking. I really like the grilled octopus at one of the greek restaurants near my house but as an appetizer, it sells for 16$ and its just one tentacle. I thought I could do better. I googled and read up on it. Bought the initial frozen octopus at Stuporstore (comes in a tube), defrosted it- brined it in 5%salt solution for 2 hours. Drained and rinsed then pressure cooked it in some water and a little bit of vinegar for about 30 minutes (once the whistling starts). Once cooled- I tossed the braising liquid (next time I save it for stock) and it went on the grill after an olive oil and lemon douse and souvlaki spice mix (it was all I had that was greek). The octopus was really tender. The only thing different I would do is perhaps boil the octopus after brining and then remove the outer purple skin as it had stuck to the grill.

I would definitely make it again but I'd start with 2 octopi since it is a bit of a process.

There, how's that for participation?

I havn't shopped at No Frills, Robin. Don't they sell just generic stuff?

Diane still dreams about getting a dog but the commitment paralyzes her. The doggy weekend made me realise how much dirt the dog brings into the house. I told my sister I was going to visit her yesterday instead of them coming to visit since I had just gotten a steam mop and cleaned my floors and carpets and wanted to keep things clean for a little while longer. I must say I like the steam mop.... its my new toy.How sad is that?

Oooh, Loretta is coming to visit next weekend. Y'all remember her, right? Bethyblue and lives in Bluffton? I don't know what all we will be getting up to but it will be fun.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!