View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #311
Cynamom
Watercolor Wizard

I have a question, maybe someone here has had some experience with something like this. I have been divorced for 11 years and remarried for 10. My son started college last fall, so he will begin his sophomore year next month. In our agreement, it said we were to visit college issues at a later time. As you know... that later time arrived last spring! Well, between his scholarships, etc., and a student loan he took, it left about $14K for my ex and I to split. WELL, my ex, whose combined income along with his wife's is $160K (much, much less than mine and my husband's combined! LOL), didn't want to pay it. He wanted to pay NOTHING for college... now mind you, this is for a kid who is a GREAT kid, never in any trouble, good athlete, got a 29 on his ACT and a 15K academic scholarship. He also took out the max student loan offered, $5,500. I think it's the least we can do. Anyway, I had to go back to court, and the judge ordered us to split what was left, the $7000 each. Here we are just a year later now, and he is doing the same thing. I wish the judge hadn't ruled for one year only! I had hoped that when he saw how great our son did, he would not make an issue (he got straight A's second semester), but what was I thinking! LOL. Anyway, I don't want to pay a retainer AGAIN. Such a waste of money. The lawyer I had was TERRIBLE, I can get into that at another time. I have e-mailed her and called her to ask her this, but NO REPLY. I might just go over there Tuesday ... show up unannounced. BUT, anyway, I want to go back to force him into paying for half (not one dime more than I am paying), but can I just do this somehow on my own? Is this an easy thing? Thought I'd ask here if anyone had any similar experience with anything like this.

I've learned SO MUCH as time has gone on... all the "weak spots" in our agreement. The biggest thing goes back to THIS issue.... be specific and don't put too much stuff in "to be determined later." Be as specific as possible. If I had even had, "split all reasonable costs" I would probably be OK. Who knew then ... the kids were 2 and 7!! I was just trying to get through the day, not really at all focused on college, LOL.

Live and learn though, right!?!?! And I have learned!!

Thanks for any help!

Cindy