View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #2699
SurfLola
Polyshrink Goddess

I *think* this originally came from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I made it according to her recipe but added chicken for protein. I changed the amount of parmesan cheese and next time I make this, I will try ziti or cavitappi noodles. The 2 cups of water isn't enough so you have to adjust accordingly. The water will be absorbed by the pasta and it won't be soupy. I added a good 1 to 1 1/4 cups extra water during the pasta cooking part.

Skillet Chicken & Vegetables
*Serves 4-6
1 lb + boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths or pasta of choice
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
to 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used the green can so I cut it down)

Heat oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Drain tomatoes into a 2-cup liquid measure. Add water to tomato liquid to make 2 cups. Add tomato/water mixture and 1 teaspoon salt to skillet. (I used extra water to almost cover lasagna noodles. The noodles absorb the water)
Scatter noodles into the skillet, layer tomatoes over the noodles and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, stirring occasionally (so the noodles won't stick) for about 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente according to package. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In another skillet, add a bit of olive oil and vegetables and cook until slightly tender.
Stir in zucchini and squash. Add basil and half of the ricotta cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese to the noodles, stirring until the sauce is creamy. Dollop remaining ricotta cheese over the noodles and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!