View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #1102
parkes
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspetersen View Post
I just discovered this thread and am so excited. I am the sole atheist in a family of devout Mormons, and always feel very isolated. I actually live with my mother who is a fanatic Mormon. I am disabled and she is extremely generous to allow me to live with her, and I generally never complain. But I suspect you fellow atheists can appreciate how difficult this is, for both her and me. The bottom line is, I am never able to live authentically, ever, and it has taken a toll on me.

Papercrafting is how I cope. I love making cards, and I literally do it every waking moment. If I stop, my PTSD and depression slide in and take over. But, I have always felt like I never really fit into the papercrafting world, because I've found it full of Christians who believe they are obligated to try and convert me via their blog, or at my local Joann, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I accept all of this. If I choose to visit a person's blog, I am responsible for that, no one else. But it does get tiresome to be directed to a blog to see a card or project, only to be told to "Have a blessed day," without it occurring to that person that I might find it tiresome. I know, for a fact, that many of them would be offended if I said, at the end of every post, "Have a god-free day!"

I'm not saying I expect everyone to know what I do, or don't, find tiresome. I'm just saying I never feel like I fit in. So, I am excited to have found this group of intelligent women who happen to share my love of papercrafting as well as my atheism. Heck, I am ecstatic! While reading through this thread I felt something, I don't know, "ease" up a bit. I'm just used to being all alone in this, and never expected to find fellow atheists in a craft where I often feel so alone.

So, I look forward to reading more posts by all of you. Finding this thread made my day!
Hi and welcome from New Zealand. I am so glad you have found us, in fact I remember how glad I was to find this thread as I also felt that the forum had a much greater Christian influence than I was expecting. So feel free to express how you feel - we will understand.
Stephanie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!